guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > CARC models
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Griso Headlight replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handyandy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Griso Headlight replacement
    Posted: 10 May 2015 at 08:04
Had an annoying vibration from the headlight which turned out to be the little tab that holds the U clip for the rim retaining screw has succumbed to rust and broken off. i've made a temporary tab and araldited it in place but I'm gonna need a replacement in the not too distant future.
HAVE YOU SEEN THE PRICE? TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY QUID!

That is plug and go but I'm wondering if there is a cheaper option that doesn't require loads of soldering and bracket bodging.

I was thinking of something like THIS   providing the measurements are compatable....

Any thoughts or ideas?

Your help much appreciated as always
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 08:52
Is there anything else in the headlight shell on the Griso? Assuming not, then any headlight of the correct dimensions would fit. Some reflectors are better than others though, and the cheapest are not always the best.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
GuzziHero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuzziHero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 09:35
I'm looking for one with indicators within the headlight unit, so I can get rid of the ones on the yokes.  I found one but am wary since its from the far East.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 09:54
Well I know looks are important, but if you ride with your headlight on there is a high probability that an oncoming driver would not be able to see your indicator.

There are also rules about the minimum spacing for this reason.

Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 10:00
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Well I know looks are important, but if you ride with your headlight on there is a high probability that an oncoming driver would not be able to see your indicator.

There are also rules about the minimum spacing for this reason.

Very Good Point!Thumbs Up
California 111,California 1100i,Suzuki FZ50, Yamaha YB100, NSU Quickly,

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 11:08
If it is the usual 7" headlamp I bought one for the V11 at Stafford as the OEM clear lens thing is useless at night on the dark country lanes to home, 40 mph was pushing it I popped a Cibie one in there glass lens proper light , no one notices the difference on the bike but oh boy I can see at night

If it is the basic round headlamp look at Vehicle Wiring Products they have alternatives or Feked or try a bike breakers look at Reboot and Gutsibits as well as NBS
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
vmaxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmaxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 16:48
Originally posted by handyandy1 handyandy1 wrote:

Any thoughts or ideas? 

How about a twin headlamp conversion
Thumbs Up

vmaxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmaxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 18:31
In fact
Smile

Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 18:35
What looks good and actually works can be different things ...... me I want to be able to see the road at Night especially in the darker months as I go along totally unlit country roads, a good headlight is a must.
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
vmaxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmaxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 19:18
Originally posted by Ken-Guzzibear Ken-Guzzibear wrote:

What looks good and actually works can be different things ...... me I want to be able to see the road at Night especially in the darker months as I go along totally unlit country roads, a good headlight is a must.

I've never heard that twins are any less effective.

GuzziHero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuzziHero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 19:40
Most cars have indicators right next to headlights, I don't think there are any 'rules' about spacing.
handyandy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handyandy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 19:42
Originally posted by Ken-Guzzibear Ken-Guzzibear wrote:

I want to be able to see the road at Night especially in the darker months as I go along totally unlit country roads, a good headlight is a must.

This ⬆︎
I will look into the Cibie option if I can find a suitable bucket....

I'm afraid the twin headlamp thing doesn't do it for me, although I did have a Crossbow fairing back in the day.

red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 19:45
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/366046/msva-manual.pdf

Might be in here Section 6.

Edited by red leader one - 10 May 2015 at 19:46
vmaxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmaxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 20:06
Originally posted by GuzziHero GuzziHero wrote:

Most cars have indicators right next to headlights, I don't think there are any 'rules' about spacing.

I think what was being referred too was space between indicators rather than distance of indicators from headlight.
GuzziHero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuzziHero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 08:26
Originally posted by vmaxer vmaxer wrote:

Originally posted by GuzziHero GuzziHero wrote:

I think what was being referred too was space between indicators rather than distance of indicators from headlight.

Ah that makes sense.

I know someone said that other road users may not be able to see the indicators if they are right next to the headlight.  TBH since 90% of the car drivers are completely incapable of driving, I always assume they haven't seen me anyway!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic