guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Loop Frames
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cali 1100i blowing fuses.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
kateguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cali 1100i blowing fuses.
    Posted: 31 May 2015 at 22:19
Our money is on a poor earth.....
Moto Guzzi Club GB.....
850 LE MANS...1 & 2....V7 Loop Frame..V7 Sport replica...Guzzi Daytona...Ducati 900ss Bevel not belt.....Laverda 3C ....and an MZ...
Hd, Steve View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hd, Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 12:45
Cheers, I have put it in Toni frame section hope to get replys there ?
kateguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 07:37
A Cali 1100i.....a loop frame..?
Perhaps a move to the correct category mite help......just sayin....
Moto Guzzi Club GB.....
850 LE MANS...1 & 2....V7 Loop Frame..V7 Sport replica...Guzzi Daytona...Ducati 900ss Bevel not belt.....Laverda 3C ....and an MZ...
Hd, Steve View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hd, Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 19:56
I have checked and double checked all the wires and connections I can see, I am not a teckie so I haven't touched the starter solinoid as I don't have clue?
Now when ignition is turned on all ignition lights come on an ignition does its thing, but when starter is pushed ignition lights go out and a click is heard ? (Horn lights indicators are all working).
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 21:02
Will it blow fuse if you disconnect the starter solenoid then try it?

If the answer is "yes", you got a short-circuit somewhere.

If the answer is "no", summat up with starter ~

e.g. solenoid can blow the fuse if it doesn't fully retract, or not do so quickly enough, in that case its resistance (actually mostly inductive reactance) falls to virtually zero because the winding wire is very thick. Normally the solenoid closes the starter contacts quickly and so swtiches itself out leaving only a holding winding left in circuit which uses much less power and won't blow the fuse. Look for stiffness or seizure of solenoid movement and pinion gear etc.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 19:28
Not a common issue on the 1100i.
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Hd, Steve View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hd, Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 17:41
Thanks to one and all for bothering to reply, still not got it sorted, all I want to do is ride, read something the other day about a bellagio (I think that's right) apparently this is a common problem on that model, it was suggested that a 20amp fuse be used in place of the stated 15amp, because on start up, 16 to 18amps is not uncommon, therefor blown fuses. One guy said he had done this and not had any problems since.
Any thoughts or ideas on this ?
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 23:04
Yes they would be those same siemens relays.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 20:10
if these are the same as fitted to the V11 le mans go nowhere other than "pyro dan" in the usa for replacement relays get spares they are real usefull for extras relays like spots/ect I use them as start relays on the Vthou brilliant
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 13:02
of course it is an 1100i, so the relays have always got to be considered if only to avoid future probs if they are Siemens
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 12:08
As I said many elektrikery problems CAN be seen, insulation off a wire, corrosion on contacts, a black mark where something has failed (and let the smoke out) IF you are not able to see an obvious fault and are really unsure about vehicle elektrikery MY advice is "Leave it to someone who is!"

It is very easy to do maore damage especially if you bang a dead short on an older bike this can kill a rectifier/regulator = nigh on £100 to replace and on a FI bike you can kill the ECU ...expensive .... Same with mechyanikals too really if unsure GET help /advice in the physical sense someone who has done it before OR take the expert option , it really is cheaper than buggering summat up honest!
alatamost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alatamost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 09:47
If its not the relay, mine turned out to be an earthing problem....sorted by Baldrick at very reasonsble cost after I'd faffed about with it ineffectually and made things worse.
(Mind you, it did cost me £80 to have the bike collected by a transport company......Tunbridge Wells to Mottingham.)
Al
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 09:11
The fuse blows when you hit the start button. Do you hear the starter engage properly or do you just hear a click then the fuse blows?

It could be the old start relay wiring fault.

The wiring diagram is here, I would assume its the 2nd fuse down on the diagram which is blowing.

This can be caused by a poor connection in the wiring to the start relay via that fuse, or the starter motor solenoid is sticking, thus causing the fuse to be overloaded and blow.

Edited by Brian UK - 07 May 2015 at 09:15
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 20:24
It will be worth taking the couple of minutes to lift the tank and see if you have disturbed anything under it when you were fettling with the cables.

Undo the fuel feeder pipe at side of tank and the fuel gauge connector. There is a pipe connection at the front of the tank hidden by the handlebars but when you loosed the tank off it is ewasy enough to get to it - remember to connect this back up again before starting the bike or you will pump fuel out the front

Check all connections, look for wear and pulled connectors etc

I had a Cali 1100i for 11 years and managed just abiut everything that needed fixed, nothing major and the bike is really easy to work on and learn
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 19:44
look for a wire where the insulation has been worn around headstock other than that get a vehicle electrical bod to look at it as with elektrikery gremlins you can end up A) destroying expensive items B) Throwing loadsa ££££ at it for what is a simple fault . Mechanics at bike shops check the obvious then call in an expert .....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic