guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Out and About > Good Roads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A303

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 13:48
Travel at night and navigate by the stars,unless it's cloudy of course.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 14:42
On most of my bikes you have to navigate by the stars as the headlights are junk! (6 volt)
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 16:38
All very well provided you can see Polaris.
Assuming the Northern Hemisphere of course.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 17:00
Originally posted by Dave P. Dave P. wrote:

Coming home from the Guzzi Fest last Sunday I was directed to the A303 by Tom tom satnav'...........why? Lord knows. . . . and you can't always rely on satnav's.Where's my map??

Instruments of Satan.

LOL

I have for some years and still use a route planner program but I force it to go where I want; mostly I just want to know how many miles and a rough idea of time. Currently it's Google Maps which works really quite well and the street view is invaluable for showing what junctions look like so I can recognise them when I get there, and I can learn the route.

I've occasionally looked at getting a sat-nav but there are so many confusing different ones and the sales blurb is just gibberish to me so I still haven't bothered. Ouch

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
motopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 20:01
I was like you Mike, but then I bit the bullet and bought a TomTom Rider. Never looked back. 'Jane' has taken me places I'd never have discovered using a map, even on long journeys. For example Nott'm to Newquay via A/B/C roads, including (back to this thread) a section of the A303.
The section through the Blackdown hills is good, and if I'm down that way I make a point of calling in the Route 303 American diner Pig

The B3212 from Exeter across Dartmoor is also great if you don't mind riding slow and taking in the fantastic scenery, that was one of the highlights of my trip.

As for the A303, it's held a strange fascination ever since we watched a BBC programme about it's history. I've no idea why, because some sections are just boring dual carriageway, but I always enjoy riding it Smile

Navy Boy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Navy Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 20:47
Having served in the Royal Navy for many years the A303 became very familiar at various times in my career.  I've ridden it many times and the OP's point about it being about the memories is a good one.  That road took me home on many an occasions and it often felt like an old friend when you were heading back after a stint away at sea or deployed.

The things that I always found most interesting about the 303 were the places it could take you to.  The Haynes Motor Museum for instance.  If I had time I'd often take a look around there, especially after it was renovated some years back.

It's a bit like music I guess.  It takes you back to certain memories which are unique to you.  Funny thing human nature...
NB - V85TT
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 22:12

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic