guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

emulsifying your oil Brown sludge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: emulsifying your oil Brown sludge
    Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 23:14
Seen a qn re this on Facebook, on the Tonti bikes often caused by short runs especially in Winter causing the damp to build up emulsifying oil that gets into rockers and then can clog up the top hat ball bearing breather ......solution a good 20-30 minute motorway type blast higher revs blow it all out ....clean out the air filters and check the engine breather fitted above engine in big hole.
Bikes fitted with K&N filters and Le Mans use a condenser type collector with a flap valve if retro fitted disable flapper fit the ball bearing top hat ....
Later type of bikes have a condenser made by the main frame tube to check just look see where the out put from the rockers go.... round heads you can see them square ones they exit between the cylinders pop tank off .....Guzziology has a whole section on this both systems do work but the top hat does need replacing, as does the air filter and the breather boxes do need flushing too

hope this helps before Summer ......
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 00:06
Italian Service.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 12:30
The short journeys problem is applicable to virtually every engine, not just Tonti Guzzi's. Big smile

Oil must regularly be allowed to get hot enough to boil out any condensation if you want to prevent emulsification or 'mayo'. Only possible on a long enough journey.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 13:18
Whilst removing the flap valve and installing a ball valve may be ok on engines equipped with rocker box breathers, I'm not sure if it should be done on early engines which are not so equipped.The passage from crankcase to oil collector box is approx' 15.5mm in diameter without the ball valve.When fitted the ball valve reduces this to about 8.5mm.Surely this does not benefit the flow of crankcase pressure to atmosphere.
When I got my V7 loop I found that the later valve had been fitted without removing the earlier flap valve.I removed the ball valve so reverting to the original condition.
None of this detracts from what Ken has said as this only applies to early 700 and 750 models.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 16:49
Just FYI, I've used the LM Breather box for years before I even knew about taking the "flap valve" out, but WITH the ball valve also, never had any probs have never lost any oil. This is since 1987. (And before that the Spada had a conversion kit I put on, ditto.) The disc valve is still in there, did look at how to get it out but can't see how and either I'm not strong enough to break it or just don't know the technique, but by my own experience it's moot anyway 'cause as I said always worked OK for me with it in 20+ years. HOWEVER a sump extension is also involved. (Spada had one too.) I still believe that is the key to preventing oil loss via the breather, if that is your problem. (I don't say so, thingy Roper does.
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 12:17
I guess it depends how many miles you cover and such The V1000 same engine as the 1000 Spada it HAS a sump ext and external oil filter It has a Le mans breather flapper disabled and the new style ball valve...I use what was a convert ATF oil box as a breather box as it has fittings to take the breather from the Le Mans box and the gearbox and a big 'ole to vent the pressure atop and also a big bolt to allow me to empty it. I will tell you the amount of watery oily fluid in there after 3000-5000 miles fills a jam har....Better out than in methinks BUT I cover minimum 6000 miles /year on it always involving 10 mls dual carriageway ......and long distance jobbies well loaded ......new rings in last year ....I guess the vapour on standard system gets blown into the air box and recirculated ....later models throw the hot gasses through the main frame tube that condenses it which is the idea of the Le mans Breather.

The OEM cone filter for the air had the rocker and crank breathers routed to the metal part of the airbox which I guess condenses the hot air but sucks it into the engine to recycle it ...
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 13:20
There are bound to be variations, think all I'm trying to say is try the LM box with its own valve intact PLUS added ball valve, see how it goes, if no oil loss or other probs fair enuff it ain't broke so no need to fix it any more. Big smile
theoneandonly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoneandonly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 12:39
me... i throw the ball valve in the bin !
https://www.facebook.com/BaldricksWorkshop
http://baldricksworkshop.co.uk/

motorcycle slut, if it has wheels and an engine , i will ride it .
italianmotor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 12:53
I've fitted the newer type ball valve to my S3, and disabled the flapper thing in the breather box alla Guzziology - result, no more oil leaks, even after high speed motorway runs. Sorted..Big smile
Guzzi lover doing my own thing: http://www.italianmotormagazine.com
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 15:07
Originally posted by theoneandonly theoneandonly wrote:

me... i throw the ball valve in the bin !

Interesting, Why is that then ?
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic