guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introduction > Rogues Gallery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coburn & Hughes Black and Gold MK2's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 16>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 18:35
Oldrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 19:05
Thank you RL1Thumbs Up
I’ve tried both of those and keep getting an ‘error loading picture’ message both ways. I’m using an iPhone and when I select browse I get zilch files to select!! 

Grr
1976 "Zagato" Gootsi cafe racer
BMW GSA
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 23:29
iphone.

"it's devils's work I tell thee"
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 07:39
But reassuringly expensive. LOL
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Bushymusic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 09:50
Here’s mine at the Blackheath tea stall loaded from my I phone...
The RL1 explanation is stop on.

I went to the top of the “post reply” page,
Click on the white symbol with a zig zag on it,
That changes the symbols so that the square image with a tree on it appears,
Chick on that,
That takes you to a new page -  “image properties page”,
Bottom left allows you to load an images,
The image will load top right -

(only if the image is below 400dpi in size),

Then you click ok - but this is the bit that’s not obvious as the button for this is way down the bottom on the right....click it and you are taken back to the “post reply” and you are good to go. 

Edited by Bushymusic - 28 Nov 2018 at 11:56
Black and gold Le Mans mk2 1981

when I'm not sitting on my hands we're a work in progress.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 09:53
then again....zilch seemingly a second time...except the “image properties” is still open...so go to that to open an image , or close it and start again.

Edited by Bushymusic - 28 Nov 2018 at 09:59

Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 11:10
Originally posted by Bushymusic Bushymusic wrote:

Here’s mine at the Blackheath tea stool loaded from my I phone...
The RL1 explination it stop on.

Is that tea stool as in something to sit on or tea poo? Lovely looking LM by the way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 11:51
I’ve just spat my tea out laughing...doesn’t matter how many times I check me spelling I just don’t see the stools....

Edited by Bushymusic - 28 Nov 2018 at 11:57

Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 12:21
High Bushymusic, the gold colour in your photo on the fairing and lowers looks a bit copper coloured, is this a trick of the light? The tank looks lighter, possibly reflecting the light?
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 17:31
Well spotted......the year before last I dropped the bike putting it away in the shed....Which is down a 80ft muddy path and the front wheel slipped out, damaging the left and front fairing.
As a part of “learning because you have too” 
I repaired the fibreglass, templated all & each of the original gold arrows,  primed and resprayed all three panels so they matched each other using paint ordered from RS paints. Theirs isn’t a perfect match, the gold is brighter and the black lacks the subtle gold specks...but needs must and I was happy with the results.
The tank, mud guards and smaller panels I left.

Edited by Bushymusic - 28 Nov 2018 at 17:40

Oldrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 18:57
BMW GSA
Oldrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 18:58
Wayhey! Thank you so much BusheyM.
It was the OK bit that I was missing, couldn’t see it - need to go to Specsavers Thumbs Up
BMW GSA
Hemsport View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hemsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 18:37
Ooooh.....That's rather nice old school. I like! 😋
Oldrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 22:27
Well it’s coming together very now.  Before and after. 
 Refreshed clocks. I’ve cleaned up and repainted the rims and cleaned it to within an inch of its life. 

icely.

BMW GSA
Oldrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 10:05

As in the post above, I’ve been fettling the Le Mans over the last few weeks.
I rode it regularly before storing it away. It rode and handled really really well, and had a fair amount of grunt for an old bike. But it is a heavy old lump and makes you appreciate just how far materials technology has come on. I’ve also come across an invoice in the paperwork from a company called Raceco!

I’ve deliberately not tried to restore it, just wanted to refresh it and give the old girl back some pride, not make it a just out of the showroom queen. Hence I’ve avoided the nut and bolt restoration, no rechrome or vapour blast here.

I’ve wanted to keep it as near original spec as poss whilst making it a usable machine.

The paintwork is new and rather splendid. This needed a significant amount of prep to get right. I borrowed an original unmolested panel from the very helpful and gentlemanly Bondequipe of this board in order to get as exact a colour match as possible.

The fairing is in three parts, the headlamp fairing and two lower leg panels. Quite revolutionary in it time, when OEM fairings were rare and a product f the fact that Moto Guzzi were the first motorcycle manufacturer to have their own wind tunnel where the gaining was developed.

The fairing lower panels already have had the very common (back in the day) mod where a cut and bolted joint was inserted in the panels behind the down pipes. This allows the fairing lowers to be easily removed without taking the exhaust system off first!

The side panels are new OEM parts, unfortunately, the lower mounts on the originals were in need of serious TLC.
(The masking tape on tank is just temporary until I can put some paint protector film on there)

Several (actually dozens of) small points needed attending to.
All the badges have been stripped, and repainted.

It’s now been completely rewired, and the idiot lights, invisible in daylight now have LED replacements, (an invisible, but worthwhile upgrade on the original spec)

New fork stanchions and fork seals as the old ones were pitted.
I budgeted for replacing the cartridges but they are in really good nick, so I’ve kept them. I had the wheel bearings out for the paint job, but I checked them thoroughly and again they were spot on so didn’t need replacing.

I’ve polished and refitted the down pipes and crossover pipe. The paint finish on the silencers was worse for wear so I’ve redone them with very high temperature paint.

I’ve replaced many rubber parts that had just suffered deterioration from old age, just like me!

I’ve bought and fitted a second hand voltmeter to replace the old broken one. I also sourced a replacement rubber instrument console, rare to find an I damaged one anywhere!
I’ve had all the instruments out, and disected them, removing and renovating the painted rims before refitting. This was a fiddly task, as the rims are ally and very very thin, read easy to crease or dent with clumsy fingers. With care I was able to straighten out the crimping at the rear, lift them off and refinish them. Getting them back and recrimping them onto the instrument bodies was equally as challenging. Luckily I was able to use the old defunct voltmeter as a trial. I’m pleased with the results.
So so far I’m very happy with how the old girl is turning out.

Edited by Oldrat - 09 Mar 2019 at 10:16
BMW GSA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 16>
  Share Topic