guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hagon rear shocks slipping on rubber mounts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hagon rear shocks slipping on rubber mounts
    Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 13:52
Anyone else had this problem ?. My Hagon shocks 'drift' across top & bottom fittings; & even (until I stuck a bigger washer on bottom) one side came off the lower point Shocked. Because of the shape of the rubber, it's hard to 'fix' the shock in the centre of the rubber with any washers & at the top it can potentially go all the way across to cover the frame lug (it hasn't yet) without packing the lug out with a spacer ??

Griso 1200 8V, V50
Andyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 18:23
I have used Hagons on quite a few bikes and have always had a large diameter washer on the outside as insurance - but I have not had them sliding sideways.   Stupid question, is there any way the top and bottom mounts are not aligned?
Tris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 18:37
I think that the Hagon  website says that they need a washer 
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 - sold
1994 California - sold
paulbricey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 20:35
They do say 'washers bigger than the rubbers' on their website BUT it's hardly elegant & because the rubber is longer than the metal bit, it still allows some float.....guess I need to put washers both sides & make it look really horrible !  

BTW I think they are aligned but they move very easily (light tap with hand will do it). The YSS ones I put on my Florida are actually NOT aligned but the YSS ones don't float (yet)...
Griso 1200 8V, V50
Andyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 09:44
How about bonding the rubbers in place?
Or have they got something on them from assembly which is slippery and needs cleaning off?
A phone call to Hagons might help?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 10:50
Thanks for inputs - it would be better if they were bonded in the factory (or the rubber inserts actually had shoulders to prevent movement), but suspect they use rubber bit as a customization for different diameter top/bottom on different bikes - hence why they are just press in.  Good thought to try and contact them about it but suspect 'washers' will be the answer.....
.....in the meantime, your comments gave me the thought to remove them & slice the 'excess rubber' so the insert doesn't protrude out each side - that way at least it might look 'proper' with the washer flush to the shock end (I'll keep mulling that 'no-way back' idea for a while).

Griso 1200 8V, V50
Dennis menace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 16:03
Are they genuine Hagons? There are a lot of copies on sites like Fleabay. I would have expected better bushes from Hagons. If they are genuine I would definitely call Hagons. 
I have Hagons on my V50 and they fit perfectly and I have seen no creep. I do have a large washer on the outside mainly for peace of mind.
Dennis
Andyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 17:51

My 2014 V7 has Hagon Nitros and I used the MG alloy shaped ‘washers’ that came with the bike - so did not need to add anything extra.  You could fit a set of these (with the central hole drilled out to suit)?  

Edited by Andyb - 28 Mar 2023 at 18:05
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 19:29
You need the large "penny" washers to hold the shaped rubber bungs in place ..... used these for years 
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 08:49
As far as I am aware there are two types of rubber mounts. The first are two part and tapered, one fits from each side and bolted through the middle with large washers as described above. The second type have a steel tube through the center of a single rubber cylinder. these are less likely to move as the OP has experienced. I am awaiting the second type from Gutsibits as they are on back order. Still waiting... 
I have the first type already which are also used to mount the instrument binnacle on V7 Sport/750S and 850T and probably other models, I think they are also used for seat mountings.

Gutsibits advertise the second type for Hagon shocks, reference SUA30551 http://https://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheShop/index.php?q=SUA30551&f=d&Model=0&search=SEARCH I think these are the better ones for me

Best wishes Chris

PS the two part ones are listed as reference SUA18551 on their website http://https://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheShop/index.php?q=SUA18551&f=d&Model=0&search=SEARCH

Edited by Chris950s - 29 Mar 2023 at 08:54
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
AdrianW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 08:57
The ones on my V35II are the two part tapered items..  Gutsibits had them. I know this because one fell into the depths of the bike lift never to return (it seemed). I ordered new ones and then the original rolled out when I moved the lift.....

Adrian
Bristol UK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 10:34
Brilliant stuff - Thanks.  I bought mine from Omnia Racing (thought they wouldn't be copies); but I'll remove the shocks & see if I can upgrade with Gutsibits rubbers -- & contact Hagon !

Thanks again !
Griso 1200 8V, V50
theone&onlymin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theone&onlymin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 13:10
Why not just go straight to Hagon ?

Cheers
Min
AdrianW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 14:23
Paul
I have just looked at Gutsibits site... They now do 2 types , standard and Hagon !! It says the Hagon ones are special order , maybe they get them from Hagon??

Good luck,
Adrian
Bristol UK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 15:20
Sorted this one.....talked to Hagon and their suggestion is to cut down the 25mm long rubbers on mine (but not too much that their isn't a small amount of float else the shock won't pivot) & then put washers each side (at top at least because the frame lug doesn't stop the shock until it reaches the frame - see previous pics)

They do sell 20mm long rubber bushes (22mm OD & 14mm ID - no metal core) which seems right for the shock ends which are 17mm wide (leaving 1.5mm wiggle room each side); but easier/cheaper to just chop the existing ones.

& I just need to buy some more elegant washers !

Thanks for the inputs Thumbs Up

Griso 1200 8V, V50
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic