FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good evening chaps and chapesses.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AlanH View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good evening chaps and chapesses.
    Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 18:35
IZZY update...

Performance is good - went from 1 mile odo to 30 miles odo before the chasing black clouds caught up and kept to below 4k rpm as it was 1st time out. Handling good, front brake needs tweaking to my preference, back brake good, seat comfy, rider position good (5ft 8 or 1.75m in new money), need slightly taller boots!! as tippy toes on stopping - or ride with panniers with summat in 'em, bar grip heaters excellent, but wind protectors might be improved with extenders. Need to learn more about screen displays and how to change on the fly.
Bad bits.... Well,  it's a strange beast unsurprisingly, compared to what I'm used to, but really I just need more miles to get experience. The standard front guard is piss poor (can I say that Mr. Moderator?) and after only about 5 miles of rain the engine is well splashed, so the Capo mudguard + extender needs fitting smartish.

Note to myself.... ride it more and use thicker gloves (hands not too good!)

Surprising bits.... went in garage with 49 miles available, put 10 litres ish in and did 30 miles, but when I got home it says 214 miles left. Now my adding up is good but this doesn't 'compute' so I'll keep a record.

Overall? So far, money well spent, but I need to work on the controls. Mebbee a visit to the dealer 'might' help.....?!?!?!

Well, the new front Caponord Rally 'guard + extender works - extra large splash of running water across Shepcote Lane (A631) in Sheffield last week or so. Must get a rear hugger (oo-er mother!!) To match and keep underneath the bike cleaner. How come modern bike's mudguards don't do what they should?
Anyway, 100 miles today on mixed roads and very enjoyable it was too!

Another update now!
New rear 'hugger' fitted today - looks like half a mudguard and I daresay it will be acceptable to modern bikers - which I'm not.
Absolute pita job.
Started with 'remove the back wheel' a 26mm socket must be the only size up to about 42mm that I didn't have, but my mate did so I exchange a borrow of the socket for a Percy Turner pork pie. Lovely
Most bolts/studs are torx, but I bought a set on Sunday at Huddersfield Auto jumble, so that went fairly well, just that most of the original studs are a barsteward to get to. Anyway, it's remantled, the back wheel's back in and all fingers are undamaged.
I would like to meet the git who designed the way it goes in & out. Words would be spoken while I gently stroked his throat.
Anyway, that's summat else done, so must get some pics if it ever stops raining....
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Guzzi1000SE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guzzi1000SE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 23:35
Hi and welcome to the forum Alan.  Nice to see someone else from South Yorkshire.

The V85TT is a nice bike, I road tested one from Via Moto the other year.  The only reason I didn't buy one was that it was a little to tall and my old back didn't like getting on and off it.   
AlanH View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 23:27
They are all happy together anyway. Just hope Izzy (reg plate 72 WSY) doesn't start smoking.

Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
AlanH View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 23:24
This one.

It wasn't in the 60 limit bit officer - honest! ;)
AlanH View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 23:20
Oh, the black A isn't anywhere near standard with my mods - 3 discs, electronic dash, hydraulic clutch and other stuff, although the tacho might have been optimistic when I missed a gear going 4th to 5th coming down the mountain from Creg-ny-Barr on the IOM a few years ago.  
Speed 104.6 mph, time 17:54:57, rpm 18410.............. Told you it was tuned a bit. :)
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 21:41
It will have a Lithium Crystal USB Port.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 21:31
Wow, if the last bike you bought was 1972, then the V85TT is going to be very different! Shocked

Reckon it's going to feel like piloting the Starship Enterprise..... Big smile

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
jmee54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmee54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 10:15
The wires for spotlights are there already. You can connect your lights directly to them and use the dedicated switch. Under the triangular panel in front of the tank on the rhs. Connectors available on ebay etc. Plenty of videos about.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 08:54
I once had an MOT guy want to fail my bike because the twin tone horn I had was illegal.
I tried to point out the difference between "twin tone" and "two tone".
Your strap line reminded me.

It was a Stebel Nautilus.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 08:52
Originally posted by AlanH AlanH wrote:

Looks like slaving a relay on the 'eagle' circuit then.
And another on the horn circuit so other road uses will be able to hear it better with some decent twin tones on.

The Saga begins......
what about warranty 
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
AlanH View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 08:26
The bike should be delivered today, so I expect to be reading the manual and pressing buttons for a few days.....
Had to strip the 'new' 550 so I can put the GS750 out of the way to get the V in the garage. Nowt straightforrard is there! Confused
When I called in ViaMoto to pay for the bike on Monday, I asked about riding lights as they aren't fitted to my bike. I didn't realise that they were solid gold at £600! K'inell!!
Looks like slaving a relay on the 'eagle' circuit then.
And another on the horn circuit so other road uses will be able to hear it better with some decent twin tones on.

The Saga begins......

Edited by AlanH - 16 Dec 2022 at 08:31
Speciality View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speciality Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 08:22
Hello and welcome. The 550 is pretty rare; someone I know had the only one I’ve seen in years. My brother used to have a 380; they were much more common, as was the 500 twin. My only Suzuki was a T250 Hustler Mk II, my first ever new bike. That was a real wheelie machine and was great until it holed a piston. I fixed that then did a straight swap with a DB32 Goldie - ridiculous to the sublime….😊
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 04:59
Hi and welcome . I was at part time college when I met a youth from Derby who had a GT550 quite often we swapped bikes which I loved he never seemed as keen as me when jumping on my BSA 650T lolThumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Flip View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 00:49
Ah when I saw 'South' on your location I was a bit excited- there doesn't seem to be too many down on the coast here despite there being a main dealer twelve miles away from me, not that I bought mine from them. LOL

I've had a load of two strokes in my time, mostly through the late 80's and 90's- X7, RD250E, RD350YPVS, RD500YPVS, loved them all and all bikes that if I'd have known how much they'd be worth now ..........

I'm a pretty new to Guzzi's though having bought my V7iii Night Pack during Lockdown so it'll be two end of Feb 2023 and I've done a little over 6000 miles so far and loving it having ridden and raced Ducati's for the last twenty odd years.

Done a few trips over to Europe and visited quite a lot of WW1 and WW2 sites from Ypres (Menin Gate), Verdun, Bastone and of course Normandy all very moving, especially seeing those beaches now being enjoyed like any other sea side.

Enjoy the new bike- I'm sure you deserve it.
You're perfect, yes, it's true- But without me you're only you!
AlanH View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 23:01
Fancied a bit of a change from my Suzuki GT550s (I have 4 currently, 3 runners and a 'new' project that will be hopefully running next summer) so decided on a V85TT Travel as we intend having a look at the WW2 war graves & Normandy landing sites next year and didn't really want to do 2000 miles in a week on a 50 year old bike (again), although they will do it when built and maintained right.....
I visited the IOM earlier this year on my 1972 550 and spoke to a few MG 7/8 owners and got some hopefully good advice, so anyway, I'll be picking the bike up from ViaMoto in Sheffield next week. I do love my 2 stroke triples, but at 71, it may be time to get another new bike. The last being in 1972 as a 21st birthday prezzy to myself - a GT550, of course!
Not sure if I can post pics of the current 'stable' yet, but hey ho.
I'm in South Yorkshire, near Barnsley and a member of a local pork pie club so obviously I have many varied interests!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic