guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Loop Frames
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Streering head bearing race removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Streering head bearing race removal
    Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 00:09
Hi 
Any clues on how to get the race out without a special tool ?

Thanks James
Loopian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loopian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 08:19
Take a look on the Greg Bender website thisoldtractor where you will find all the info you should need.
Good luck
Ian
paulbricey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 10:39
My experience (ball bearings V50 through to taper bearings V65) for what it's worth:

For headstock outer rings they can be drifted out from above and below using suitable length of metal with an edge to 'catch' on the edge of the ring ..usually requires tapping around the entire ring until it starts moving at some point & then keep drifting it (sometimes it'll ding out in one shot)....later/after checking powder coater hasn't drifted into the headstock, drift new ones on with carefully selected socket size drift ......guessing you already know this part

Top bearing on yolk axle is usually easy to pull/tap off the axle, the bearings/shells on the bottom yolk are more tricky (by far). 

For this can start with heat plus penetrating oil and gentle chisel under bottom edge as that might be enough to start lifting the bearing up the shaft; if not then break the rollers and some of the cage off (with same chisel or dremel the cage support) & retry with chisel as before; then gently dremel the exposed shell on the axle without cutting through to the surface & repeat chisel - this time using chisel to split the roller cage open/loose. Eventually it'll give....

Then dress all the surfaces to eliminate any scratches/burrs you've left & you are ready to drift the new one on with a suitably long/diameter pipe.

Note most of this requires just scratching around the garage looking for/trying the right size/shape bits of metal and tools.

Griso 1200 8V, V50
Amboman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amboman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 13:16
I use a bearing separator to remove the lower bearing from the steering stem. Clamp the separator around the bearing, support it in my vise, slip a piece of brass tubing over the stem at the top (to prevent damage to the threads) and drive the stem through the bearing with a large hammer.
Charlie
'69 Ambassador,'71 Ambassador,'73 Eldorado,'75 Eldorado police,'76 Convert,'77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada,'81 Ducati 500SL Pantah

http://www.AntietamClassicCycle.com
james58 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 06:59
Thanks for the info Paul :)
james58 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 07:03
Thanks Amboman also whilst yer there I haven't been able to source new conrod bolts so I will use the old ones I know we have had this conversation before ...you where saying that the old used ones were found to be stronger than the newer ones however the measurement of them is very important do you have those measurements to see if they have stretched ?

Thanks James
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic