guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Guzzi 1100 custom build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 18>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 07:23
That really is a bit special Thumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 14:06
Originally posted by johnno johnno wrote:

That really is a bit special Thumbs Up

Thank you!

A nice part of the build is when you start to pull it all together. All that preparation of parts for months before all comes together quite quickly.

My blog! Www.jtccc.Wordpress.com
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 15:51
One of the things that was missing on the bike when I bought it was a gear lever. No problem I though… until I saw the price! so I decided to make one, and while I was on, make it slightly longer to suit my big feet. I took the one off my other bike as a pattern. I milled it out of a solid piece of alloy plate, and then hand filed it all to shape, and gave it a polish, I was quite pleased with the result!

Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 17:42
out in the daylight for the first time in a while  ;D

Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 10:07
One of the things I wanted on this build was a clean looking rear end.  I struggled to find a rear light that was suitable, so in the end I have fitted three 10mm superbrite LED’s as a rear light, and used a resister and diode so its bright and then brighter to act as a stop light.

johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 19:19
I love your style but the light does not work for me but that's the joy of everyone being different Thumbs Up
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 13:31
I have made a few similar Hall Effect ignition pickups in the past and they have worked brilliantly. This is a refinement on those.  This time I have used an alloy cam wheel and put the magnets directly into that, rather than use a separate wheel.  the magnets are 3mm as opposed to the 4mm ones I have used in the past, lets hope they are OK!  I also swapped out the allen bolts for some none magnetic A4 ones just in case it picked those up. 

Previously I have had a small discrepancy in the timing cylinder to cylinder, which is OK as I can compensate for that in the Ignitech software...  But it irritated me that I had to do that!  I put it down to my rotary table that is not the best and only measures degrees and its difficult to get the holes for the sensors precisely 135 degrees apart.  This this time I borrowed a mates table that is very accurate and can measure to minutes. It was a pleasure to use such a wonderful piece of quality kit!  Making the pickup plate took some time, probably the most accurate work I have done in a while!

I am not sure i needed the heat sink, but it looked aesthetically pleasing so I used it.

Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 17:00
I finished the throttle off...  I had to make the adjusters as they needed to be a custom size.  I also used cycle gear cable as the nice thing about it is the outer wire is longitudinal, which has several advantages, the one being that you can cut it so the inner liner can extend into the adjusters and into the throttle which makes the entire run of the inner cable within the liner.  I was very pleased with the light action, and only a 1/4 of a turn closed to open.  We all know a fast action throttle adds 20 BHP ;D

I know that I should use suppressed leads, but I prefer to use copper cored ones. they are easy to make up and you can make them to the spot on length. I have had that crimp tool 50 years!

one of the things I wanted to do was get rid of the rubber frame bungs… so I turned up some alloy ones. I needed some alloy bar, so I popped into my local metal recyclers… he had several skips of alloy round bar and machined square and oblong billets, all different sizes… many marked on the end with the material specification! They were just about to be taken away so I had to be quick, I really had to restrain myself though, it was like Christmas had come early!

johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 18:07
I have just watched the 1100 guzzi on YouTube it really is a cracker Thumbs Up
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 19:25
Originally posted by johnno johnno wrote:

I have just watched the 1100 guzzi on YouTube it really is a cracker Thumbs Up
Thanks!

Things don't always go to plan... I tried to starts it... I had a spark, and lots of backfires, but it would not run. I checked a few things and came to the conclusion it was the pickups... I wasn't sure if it was the actual hall sensors, or the magnets and spacing. I decided to try the magnets and spacing first, and it turned out to be that. not sure if it was the strength of the magnets, or the spacing (I suspect it was the spacing) but either way I had to re design the rotor. soon as I did this, it fired up and settled to a nice tickover. I also breathed a sigh of relief as I had put a lot of effort into the exhaust and didn't know what it would sound like! To me it sounded awesome! here is a short video. 

Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 10:02
the fuel tap proved to be a challenge. It couldn’t go on the tank, but I also didn’t want to on show. In the end I made a small bracket and mounted it out of sight.

I popped into the paint supplier where my mate works… he persuaded me to try some new lacquer which he said the customers were raving about… I reluctantly agreed to try it. Although I had prepped the tank, I thought I would try it on the mudguard first… I am glad I did! It was easy enough to spray, and gave a nice gloss from the gun, BUT it took almost two hours before it was dust free… That may be ok in a heated, dust free paint booth, but in my garage its a distinct disadvantage. So its back to what I know and I went back for some of the formula I always use!

A65Rocket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A65Rocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 11:49
Your frame bungs, you have a centre cap head, is this just to allow you to get some purchase to remove the bung. The bungs are secured by the O ring I assume.
I've just got a new Guzzi V100, and there are several frame holes to plug.
Thrash- Bang - Rebuild
V100S Mandello
RX4 sidecar (gets fitted randomly)
BSA A65 Rocket
BSA M23 Empire Star
BSA D14/4
Honda Bros 400
Can you see a BSA theme yet?
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 12:52
Originally posted by A65Rocket A65Rocket wrote:

Your frame bungs, you have a centre cap head, is this just to allow you to get some purchase to remove the bung. The bungs are secured by the O ring I assume.
I've just got a new Guzzi V100, and there are several frame holes to plug.

spot on...  they are decorative but also allow you to twist them out easily Smile
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 08:51
Here is one for you Guzzi guys Smile

c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 14:29
Now that`s the handiest piece of kit I`ve seen in a long, I assume it`s home made

CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 18>
  Share Topic