guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Guzzi 1100 custom build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 18>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 18:16
The front under the headlight didn’t look right, so I made a plate and etched a Guzzi badge on it, I am still amazed how well the etching works!

Here is the video of it running, followed by some photos that tell the story of its build… Its -5 this afternoon on the drive, so It wont be up the road for a while!

Edited by Buzzer - 15 Dec 2022 at 18:28
My blog! Www.jtccc.Wordpress.com
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 18:00
well my Guzzi build has come to an end, and is now in the back of the workshop waiting for some good weather.  So onto the next project which I bought 3 months ago...  this will be Ducati number 10, but I want to do something a bit different this time.  It came with a pile of tasty parts, some brand new...  there are lightweight forged wheels, big front brakes, Ohlins suspension, which will go to making a quick and light bike.

I have ordered a load of stuff, but due to strikes and the time of year nothing will be here till the new year… so the first job on this build was to make the throttle of all things. I made similar for the Guzzi build and it worked well, so this is an enhanced version of that with a slightly smaller cable wheel as the Guzzi throttle is a little too quick… I refined my silver soldering technique after watching the repair shop, and I have to say it worked rather well!

krglorioso View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krglorioso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 18:44
This thread and photos convinces me that I am right in my belief that all male babies in UK receive a set of machine shop tools on their 1st birthday and become masters with them by their teens.

Ralph (who struggles with mastering his drill press, proudly having learned under what circumstance to employ the use of a Phillips head screwdriver.)
Ralph G.
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 10:04
Originally posted by krglorioso krglorioso wrote:

This thread and photos convinces me that I am right in my belief that all male babies in UK receive a set of machine shop tools on their 1st birthday and become masters with them by their teens.

Ralph (who struggles with mastering his drill press, proudly having learned under what circumstance to employ the use of a Phillips head screwdriver.)

I must have been a late starter...  my Dad didn't give me a  micrometre until I was 15 LOL

As I wanted this to be different to the other builds, I tried several other tanks… I had an ST4 tank and a Monster tank that had too many holes to repair, so I cut these down… while I liked the ST tank, I couldn’t get the seat to tie in… I didn’t like the monster tank… So off to the bike breakers… he gave me the key to his storage unit...  and said "say hi to the ghost!" 

I walked around looking at the hundreds of tanks in there, discounting the plastic ones, of which there were many… the slope of the frame makes the choices limited...  Nothing took my eye.  Its a VERY old building though, and I have to say it spooked me somewhat being in there on my own, lots of creaking noises, and scuttling sounds which were probably rats...  I didn't stay longer than I needed!

In the end I went back to the 999 tank I have used before. Another with some holes in the bottom where its rusted out.

BondEquipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BondEquipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 15:41
You found an old fashioned breakers with sheds, how quaint!  I didn't think they existed any more.
Stephen
Black & Gold LM2
+ Other Bikes & Projects!
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 09:38
While I love the look of a nice velocity stack they are not really practical for the road, hence while I make them for the photos I take, I like to use foam filters on the road. this of course means I need some suitable adaptors, which although you can buy them are REALLY expensive. these took a while to machine out of billet! I sometimes get asked where I get my material from for the lathe and miller. I am really lucky that there is a scrap yard locally that lets me hunt through the bins! They take scrap in from some of the aerospace companies so there are sometimes some nice bar ends in the skips. What is great about that is the bar ends are often etched with the material specification!

I don’t usually pay as I take my scrap in there and he writes the value in the back of his desk diary, and then as I take stuff, he takes the value off! he has done this for me for over 30 years! A few years ago I went in early in the year… he was no longer there as he had retired and I learned that his grandson had taken the company over. We chatted and I mentioned about the diary as I had a few pounds credit… The lad said he knew all about it and it was in the back of the book!

Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 17:48
Time to start the fabrication of the back end. I decided to use some rose joints as I like the look they bring to a build. Experience has taught me to tack everything up first before welding fully! its going to be a very stubby back end, I have also used three 10mm LED as a stop and tail light. they are amazingly bright

Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 08:44
Making the exhaust retaining flange out of 15mm alloy plate was quick and easy… 

As an aside, that tin of marking blue is 50 years old, given to me by my Dad, along with one of my treasured possessions, a 0 – 1″ micrometre when I was 15 years old. Not much left in the tin now, but its still usable. 

The stainless steel collar however took an absolute age to make! I should have really used some stainless pipe, but its an odd size and I couldn’t get any that would fit, so I ended up machining it out of a solid piece of bar stock. I hate working with stainless… everything you do with it makes your life hard, just like the material!

Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 10:32
I tried for a while to make a seat out of alloy sheet, and failed.  the shape is just to complicated!  in the end I decided on an alloy and glass fibre approach.  I lifted the tank slightly so the finished seat will have some clearance, and then covered it with duct tape, followed by some tin foil to act a a release.  This actually worked quite well!  Cutting the foam to shape took a while and is a dusty job, but with the fan blowing on me and out the door it wasn't too bad.  The key to using resin is the mix ratio...  I used 2.5% as it was a cold day, in the summer that would have gone off in 5 mins!  I will send it to the trimmer to do his magic...  this is one of the few jobs I send out.

Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 10:48
To get the tank low, and get rid of the large pump mounting hole I had to cut the bottom out of the tank. easy enough with one of those 1mm cutting disks which I seem to use a lot of these days! I needed to make the infill patch and contour this to fit the hole. to make this easier I profiled it to the right shape by cutting some wood and pressing it to shape in the vice, then a bit of planishing to get it to the final shape. 

The aim is to get the gap as small as possible to facilitate a nice weld. I used some 1mm mild steel plate which matches the thickness of the tank, so TIG welding is no problem on a low amp setting. I used a couple of magnets to position it before adding a few tacks all round. At this point I ran out of Argon...  The last refill I bought was £65..  now its £104!

The outlet is made, but I need the filter fitting on the bike first so I can position it to get the pipe runs neat. Once this is welded on I can leak test.

johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 15:47
Wow your goodThumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 18:38
I picked up the headlight and fuel filter brackets today...  What a fantastic process waterjet cutting is!  They were profile cutting a 150mm thick block of alloy while I was there!  The jury is out on the brackets at the moment, but I am struggling to think of a better design

Andyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 18:48
Those brackets look great - as with others here, I am amazed by your skill set and what you can get made.
krglorioso View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krglorioso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 18:59
Full agreement with what Andy said; your skill set is incredible. Also incredible is the automated machinery available today to make things.

I began as a Velocette dealership mechanic in 1961 outside of New York City.
We made special things then by CAD (cardboard assisted design), where a template for a part was made of shirt cardboard or a cereal box and once that appeared satisfactory the item was made in metal, using a hack saw, a grinding wheel, a belt-driven drill press and a hand file. Small wonder I'm fascinated by the mods for this Guzzi 1100.

Ralph
Ralph G.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 22:27
Originally posted by krglorioso krglorioso wrote:

We made special things then by CAD (cardboard assisted design), where a template for a part was made of shirt cardboard or a cereal box and once that appeared satisfactory the item was made in metal, using a hack saw, a grinding wheel, a belt-driven drill press and a hand file.

Yes, I've done a bit of that in my time, but only using hand tools. Results were "interesting". LOL
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 18>
  Share Topic