guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Guzzi 1100 custom build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 18>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 11:55
well this build comes almost to an end, I am sure there will be some snagging to do, but that can be done in Spring when I can ride it! I will post a video of it running as soon as we have a nice day. Here is is with the last couple of builds I have kept as I liked how these ride!

Its time to start the next Build… I have another Multistrada at the back of the garage which I will wheel out soon and make a start on that… this has some nice parts on it and should make a great bike, not sure on the style of this one yet, I guess it will evolve over the coming months.. Have to say I have really enjoyed the Guzzi build, a refreshing change to Ducati’s as the next one will be Ducati number 10 build!

So apart from a video at some point its goodbye from me and I hope you have all enjoyed my ramblings.  Unless of course any of you are interested in the Ducati build, I could always continue to post onto this thread.

Edited by Buzzer - 06 Dec 2022 at 12:18
My blog! Www.jtccc.Wordpress.com
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 12:26
I love that side mounted exhaust Ducati Thumbs Up I mean the whole bike . You should carry on Thumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 12:42
You obviously got a job lot of the orange paint.

Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Christy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 15:36
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

A serial Multistrada wrecker too LOL
Back on a Breva ... Again!! Breva 1100, Ducati Monster 900, Multistrada 950, 900SS Project
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 16:26
Originally posted by Christy Christy wrote:

Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

A serial Multistrada wrecker too LOL

I have never seen it a wrecking a bike…  The thing is every custom build I have ever done has been based on a bike that has come to the end of its economic life...  Take this Guzzi… multiple electrical issues, needs new loom, needed a new ECU, scruffy…   Many of these old ECU’s are failing now, and second hand stuff is old and expensive, and prone to failure…  So what do you do with the bike?  It’s not worth restoring as they are not worth much money, and the effort is not worth it.

The Multistrada bikes are even worse, the ECU’s fail, the LCD clocks fail, and the big one, the tank/seat unit swell with the ethanol in the fuel.  The last Multi I bought, I had to cut the frame to get the tank off it had swelled that badly.Shocked

So I see myself as a saviour, rather than a wrecker.TongueTongue  All too often these bikes languish at the back of someone’s shed, with the notion that “I will restore it one day” but all too often they just sit there.  The parts I don’t use go to keeping someone else’s pride and joy on the roadThumbs Up

So I tend to build bikes for me...  I build what I like, how I want it to look, and if people don't like it, that's fine, as we all have opinions.

I have restored bikes, but only when it’s been economically viable to do so. My recent Ducati Monster and Laverda Jota were kept more or less standard, but they are iconic and valuable bikes.

I don’t have the rosy idealism that bikes need to be kept standard though.  I have a mate that has a shed full of bikes, some of them have sat in there for 40 years, and every time we talk about if, he says he is going to restore them… one day...  The fact is In the 50 years I have known him; he has NEVER restored a bike… he has a couple I would love to restore, one of them a MK1 Le Mans Cry its such a sham...

We call him the “rivet counter” he takes delight in going to shows and pointing out to owners the errors in their restorations.  You have probably met the type…  "that transfer was 1 inch lower on that model year" LOLLOL

Edited by Buzzer - 06 Dec 2022 at 17:11
Flip View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 17:20
Hey Buzzer, I have only recently found this forum so good to see you here too. 

As I said on the ‘other’ Italian V twin site, it looks fantastic. So much so the finished build has a beautiful simplicity to it that betrays the engineering and workmanship that it took to do. 

After ‘Strada you definitely need to do another Guzzi
You're perfect, yes, it's true- But without me you're only you!
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 17:36
Originally posted by Flip Flip wrote:

Hey Buzzer, I have only recently found this forum so good to see you here too. 

As I said on the ‘other’ Italian V twin site, it looks fantastic. So much so the finished build has a beautiful simplicity to it that betrays the engineering and workmanship that it took to do. 

After ‘Strada you definitely need to do another Guzzi

Thanks!

If I am honest I would have loved to do another Guzzi...  I have enjoyed this one so much!  In fact I was keeping an eye open for one  during the summer, but this Multistrada came along and it had SO MANY new and tasty parts with it, at a price I could not refuse, I bought it!  I also have the idea of supercharging it, something a bit different...  I see the charger off a VW 1.4 TSFI is small and compact, and as the engine itself is unreliable, there are plenty of used ones cheap on Ebay!  we will see...
AdrianW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 08:49
Thank you Buzzer...
I have enjoyed watching the progress with your rebuilds very much so thank you or keeping us up to date with progress.. The workmanship has been stunning to watch and admire..
Do post details when you get the Guzzi on the road, it looks like it will be a great bike to ride..

Interesting about problems with ECUs and Ducati , so much for progress I guess, best to keep it simple!!  To be honest I never did like the look of the Multistrada....Smile

I too know someone who allegedly has 47 bikes, most of which I have never seen. In his defence though he rides as often as he can and isn't a rivet counter..

Take care,

All the best,

Adrian
Bristol UK

Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 15:15
I'm not big into custom machines primarily because many of them are purely an exercise in aesthetics and can make the bike less ridable. However, when a bike is rescued from oblivion and the engineering is first class, as in this case, then I say well done even if the styling is not necessarily to my taste. So well done sir, and given your stock of orange paint, how about a Laverda?
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 17:21
Originally posted by Dave P. Dave P. wrote:

I'm not big into custom machines primarily because many of them are purely an exercise in aesthetics and can make the bike less ridable. However, when a bike is rescued from oblivion and the engineering is first class, as in this case, then I say well done even if the styling is not necessarily to my taste. So well done sir, and given your stock of orange paint, how about a Laverda?

Thanks!  I have done a Laverda in the past...  it was my first orange and silver bike!  I had that many many years...  A couple of years ago I did a Monster 900 restoration, and while I enjoyed doing it, I missed the fabrication side.  Earlier in the year I went to a house sale where there were quite a few restoration projects.  (in terms of hording it was an eye opener! big house, one room full to the ceiling of newspapers...  just newspapers.  you could only get 3 foot into a small square in the room! you couldn't go any further as the floor boards had collapsed!)

It was invite only and there were about 100 people invited, and some very tasty bikes from the 50, 60's and 70's.  It was closed bid, put your name and number on an a card and into a sealed envelop, highest bidder on that bike won it.  A strange way to sell, but hey ho.

I wondered around, there was a 500 Vincent, sunbeams, 70's triumphs, BSA Gold flash amongst about 20 bikes...  As I wondered around I began to think what would I do if I won one...  I wouldnt ride it if I restored it, and I probably wouldnt have enjoyed the restoration that much.  So in the ned, apart from a couple of very low ball offers, that was it.  Made me realise the bit I do enjoy is the fabrication / making things.

here is the Laverda, the monster, and a few other restorations over the years...

krglorioso View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krglorioso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 01:02
Very nice 1960 (?) Velocette Venom Clubmans! I had one.

Ralph
Ralph G.
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 05:01
I am totally won over with Orange Thumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
jmee54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmee54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 09:29
I think that red Monster is a design classic to rival the 916.

Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 15:08
Originally posted by jmee54 jmee54 wrote:

I think that red Monster is a design classic to rival the 916.

I agree...  for me its up there with the BSA gold star, Laverda Jota, Guzzi Lemans MK1, to name but a few.  that's why I restored that to pretty much standard.  It was an unusual bike in that it somehow it escaped having its tail chopped off, as so many early monster have.

it was going to be a keeper...  but every time I went into the garage, I came out on one of the orange bikes!
jmee54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmee54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 16:57
I can understand that. I cannot resist putting my own mark on my bikes. I do n't have either the facilities or the skill to do much other than change/modify parts and paint them, but it keeps me happy! I always keep original parts and don't do anything that can't be reversed so that if I ever come to sell one the rivet counters will be happy.Approve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 18>
  Share Topic