guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Guzzi 1100 custom build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 18>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 14:34
Originally posted by Simond Simond wrote:

Interesting that you solder the electrical connectors.  

Automotive connectors are generally only crimped, I have been informed that this is because a soldered joint may fatigue, due to vibration.  

It’s also clear that in a volume production environment, soldering would be more expensive than crimping, and that is a strong reason to avoid soldering, and of course for a harness, it would be very difficult to automate.

Whilst I have soldered connections on cars, bikes and boats over the years without problems, it would be good to know whether there is a “best practice” approach.

To be honest I crimped the majority...  As for which is better, one of my mates works in aviation engineering and he tells me its rare to see a soldered joint on an aircraft, they are all crimped.  I guess that says something.  What he did say though is a soldered joint is better than a poor crimp!  What I do like is when the joint is crimped, or soldered, is  to support it with some of that glue lined heat shrink.
My blog! Www.jtccc.Wordpress.com
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 16:56
Crimping is used in industry simply because it is the fastest way to fix a terminal on wire. With the right tool it is enerally vey affective.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 14:42
here it is finished...  just waiting on a small part to get it running, which is very frustrating!

krglorioso View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krglorioso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 14:58
Originally posted by Buzzer Buzzer wrote:

here it is finished...  just waiting on a small part to get it running, which is very frustrating!

Proof that old world craftsmanship is alive and well. Magnificent!

Ralph
Ralph G.
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 16:17
Very nice indeed.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
-HJB- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -HJB- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 16:36
Looks absolutely stonking, just like the Ducatis! You’ll need to do a Laverda before the paint runs out though!
Brilliant engineering. Another great one to follow! Thumbs Up
Paul.

'72 V7 Sport, '79 Le Mans 2 - Sold, a couple of 60s Brit bikes and a general love of interesting old bikes & cars!
cowboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 17:16
Cracking job. Well done.
Andyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 17:35
Very impressive.  Can you put up a few more photos?
What now - riding it or selling on?
AndyB

johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 18:39
Let's see the back end but so far ACEThumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
AdrianW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 11:45
Fabulous job..
Cheers,

Adrian
Bristol UK
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 14:43
Originally posted by Andyb Andyb wrote:

Very impressive.  Can you put up a few more photos?
What now - riding it or selling on?
AndyB

Sure, will post a video soon as its runningSmile

I will ride it over summer, and then see...  I have another project at the back of the garage which I will start soon... its another Ducati 1000...

I must admit I have loved this build, and if the Ducati project hadn't come along at silly money I would be doing another Guzzi.  But there is always next year Sleepy
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 11:02
So its start-up time…  I had a good spark, but I wasn’t sure if it was on the right cylinder as I hadn’t made a note on the coils… so it was a 50% chance it would start…  It did!  It quickly settled to a nice tick over, but I had to shut it down as I am missing the “0” rings off the sensors and they leaked oil.  I have been waiting a week for them, bloody Royal Mail strikes!

With any fresh engine build I have a routine I stick to that has served me well over the years…  first thing I do is remove the oil switch and pump oil into the engine.  I use a plastic pump up bottle for this.  This primes all the oilways, fills the filter, fills the oil pump, and oozes out of all the bearings.  I prefer this to engine building paste, which I am not a fan of…  I do use a smear of it on the cams and followers though…

The other thing I do is screw in a pressure gauge.  I was pleased to see that it immediately shot up, which is always a relief.  This has saved me a couple of times in the past…  Once when the pressure relief valve in a new oil pump was stuck, and the gauge went off the scale…  the other time was my fault when I put an oil pickup pipe joint on wrong, and the joint itself covered the pipe hole…  started it up and initial pressure then nothing… that gauge is a lifesaver!

Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 16:49
well how annoying is that!!   I noticed the section of one pipe was going blue...  checked it and its magnetic!  looks like the supplier mixed in a piece of Mild Steel in with the stainless!  Oh well, new piece is on its way

johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 17:08
That's quite cool 
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
borderer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 19:10
My best story about oil pressure in new engines... Collected a race engine on the Friday To get ready for practice 200 miles away on the Saturday morning. All went well till about 9pm when we cranked it over before starting. Like you we had a Oil pressure gauge fitted.. no oil pressure 3 hours later we are still buggering about checking and rechecking everything till we found out the engine builder had forgotten to fit an oil pump!! engine out again, Stripped another engine to get another oil pump got it all back together about 6am. Oh how we laughed!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 18>
  Share Topic