guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Guzzi 1100 custom build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 18>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 11:18
That is a WOW from meThumbs Up 
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 15:21
Originally posted by johnno johnno wrote:

That is a WOW from meThumbs Up 

Big smile

Here is the finished final drive with a new bearing and seals.

My blog! Www.jtccc.Wordpress.com
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 12:29
The engine is now back in the frame, a nice and easy job with the removeable bottom frame rails…

Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 18:23
I didn't want to use the frame as a breather as it can rot them out, and rust partials can drop down so I am told...  so I decided to make a new breather the vent the crank case and also the heads.  Here is is...  will it work?  Who knows, we will see!!

Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 13:51
Two jobs today...  first was to make a paddock stand.  I hate the universal ones as they are very difficult to get a bike on one on your own..., and often not that secure.  this one positively locks onto the wheel spindle, and when its on the lift I can clamp it to the top so its nice and secure.

The second was to make some bushes out of bronze to take the play put of the clutch lever as the hole had worn oval.  I drilled it out and made some over size top hat bushes.  Finally, here it is on its wheels!

Stevex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 14:06
I think using rockers cover breathers is of little use on these bikes. Mine always used to produce mayo and the bike rarely did any low mileage journeys. I removed the rocker breathers and blanked them off. That was years ago and I've not had any problems since. The main crankcase breather is more than man enough.
Steve
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 14:32
Originally posted by Stevex Stevex wrote:

I think using rockers cover breathers is of little use on these bikes. Mine always used to produce mayo and the bike rarely did any low mileage journeys. I removed the rocker breathers and blanked them off. That was years ago and I've not had any problems since. The main crankcase breather is more than man enough.

Interesting. The old Loops did not have rocker cover breathers and I've never found a trace of mayo on either of my Loops.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 21:08
On the later Tonti engines, the rocker "breather" connection is actually the oil return from the breather box, or frame top tube in some cases.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Stevex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 16:18
Originally posted by Dave P. Dave P. wrote:

Originally posted by Stevex Stevex wrote:

Interesting. The old Loops did not have rocker cover breathers and I've never found a trace of mayo on either of my Loops.

It used to form in the breather pipes and drip back into the rocker covers, nasty stuff.
Steve
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 10:40
interesting comments on the breathers...  I will suck it an see before I go too mad!

I pondered for a long time on the throttle arrangement for this bike… I wanted to keep the pull to open, pull to close for a couple of reasons… First, its safer… manufactures didn’t go to this arrangement for no reason as bikes evolved. Second, it means you can have much lighter return springs, which in turn males the throttle much lighter, particularly if you are going for a quick action. . A light fast action action throttle feels like you have 20 BHP more!  I do find a heavy throttle spoils a bike for me...

I couldn’t find a 4 cable throttle anywhere, so I ended up making one from scratch…

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 12:00
Nice bit of engineering there. I suspect I would have gone the easy route and used splitter boxes.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 13:36
Originally posted by iansoady iansoady wrote:

Nice bit of engineering there. I suspect I would have gone the easy route and used splitter boxes.

I did once on a Ducati build...  but I was never happy with the result...  hence the 4 cable throttle...

krglorioso View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krglorioso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 15:13
I cannot overstate my awe and admiration of this build.

Ralph
Ralph G.
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 18:56
Originally posted by krglorioso krglorioso wrote:

I cannot overstate my awe and admiration of this build.

Ralph
 Thumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 10:07
Originally posted by Buzzer Buzzer wrote:

Two jobs today...  first was to make a paddock stand.  I hate the universal ones as they are very difficult to get a bike on one on your own..., and often not that secure.  this one positively locks onto the wheel spindle, and when its on the lift I can clamp it to the top so its nice and secure.

The centre stand on my ES2 is one of the worst I've ever encountered. I normally use the prop stand (adapted from a Kawasaki ZZ) but knocked this together to attend to chain oiling etc. Not engineering but bodging (in the original sense) and recycling of stuff lying about in the shed.

Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 18>
  Share Topic