guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Guzzi 1100 custom build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 18>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 16:26
Originally posted by Christy Christy wrote:

Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

You obviously got a job lot of the orange paint.

A serial Multistrada wrecker too LOL

I have never seen it a wrecking a bike…  The thing is every custom build I have ever done has been based on a bike that has come to the end of its economic life...  Take this Guzzi… multiple electrical issues, needs new loom, needed a new ECU, scruffy…   Many of these old ECU’s are failing now, and second hand stuff is old and expensive, and prone to failure…  So what do you do with the bike?  It’s not worth restoring as they are not worth much money, and the effort is not worth it.

The Multistrada bikes are even worse, the ECU’s fail, the LCD clocks fail, and the big one, the tank/seat unit swell with the ethanol in the fuel.  The last Multi I bought, I had to cut the frame to get the tank off it had swelled that badly.Shocked

So I see myself as a saviour, rather than a wrecker.TongueTongue  All too often these bikes languish at the back of someone’s shed, with the notion that “I will restore it one day” but all too often they just sit there.  The parts I don’t use go to keeping someone else’s pride and joy on the roadThumbs Up

So I tend to build bikes for me...  I build what I like, how I want it to look, and if people don't like it, that's fine, as we all have opinions.

I have restored bikes, but only when it’s been economically viable to do so. My recent Ducati Monster and Laverda Jota were kept more or less standard, but they are iconic and valuable bikes.

I don’t have the rosy idealism that bikes need to be kept standard though.  I have a mate that has a shed full of bikes, some of them have sat in there for 40 years, and every time we talk about if, he says he is going to restore them… one day...  The fact is In the 50 years I have known him; he has NEVER restored a bike… he has a couple I would love to restore, one of them a MK1 Le Mans Cry its such a sham...

We call him the “rivet counter” he takes delight in going to shows and pointing out to owners the errors in their restorations.  You have probably met the type…  "that transfer was 1 inch lower on that model year" LOLLOL

Edited by Buzzer - 06 Dec 2022 at 17:11
My blog! Www.jtccc.Wordpress.com
Christy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 15:36
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

A serial Multistrada wrecker too LOL
Back on a Breva ... Again!! Breva 1100, Ducati Monster 900, Multistrada 950, 900SS Project
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 12:42

Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 12:26
I love that side mounted exhaust Ducati Thumbs Up I mean the whole bike . You should carry on Thumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 11:55
well this build comes almost to an end, I am sure there will be some snagging to do, but that can be done in Spring when I can ride it! I will post a video of it running as soon as we have a nice day. Here is is with the last couple of builds I have kept as I liked how these ride!

Its time to start the next Build… I have another Multistrada at the back of the garage which I will wheel out soon and make a start on that… this has some nice parts on it and should make a great bike, not sure on the style of this one yet, I guess it will evolve over the coming months.. Have to say I have really enjoyed the Guzzi build, a refreshing change to Ducati’s as the next one will be Ducati number 10 build!

So apart from a video at some point its goodbye from me and I hope you have all enjoyed my ramblings.  Unless of course any of you are interested in the Ducati build, I could always continue to post onto this thread.

Edited by Buzzer - 06 Dec 2022 at 12:18
borderer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 19:10
My best story about oil pressure in new engines... Collected a race engine on the Friday To get ready for practice 200 miles away on the Saturday morning. All went well till about 9pm when we cranked it over before starting. Like you we had a Oil pressure gauge fitted.. no oil pressure 3 hours later we are still buggering about checking and rechecking everything till we found out the engine builder had forgotten to fit an oil pump!! engine out again, Stripped another engine to get another oil pump got it all back together about 6am. Oh how we laughed!!
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 17:08
That's quite cool 
Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 16:49
well how annoying is that!!   I noticed the section of one pipe was going blue...  checked it and its magnetic!  looks like the supplier mixed in a piece of Mild Steel in with the stainless!  Oh well, new piece is on its way

Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 11:02
So its start-up time…  I had a good spark, but I wasn’t sure if it was on the right cylinder as I hadn’t made a note on the coils… so it was a 50% chance it would start…  It did!  It quickly settled to a nice tick over, but I had to shut it down as I am missing the “0” rings off the sensors and they leaked oil.  I have been waiting a week for them, bloody Royal Mail strikes!

With any fresh engine build I have a routine I stick to that has served me well over the years…  first thing I do is remove the oil switch and pump oil into the engine.  I use a plastic pump up bottle for this.  This primes all the oilways, fills the filter, fills the oil pump, and oozes out of all the bearings.  I prefer this to engine building paste, which I am not a fan of…  I do use a smear of it on the cams and followers though…

The other thing I do is screw in a pressure gauge.  I was pleased to see that it immediately shot up, which is always a relief.  This has saved me a couple of times in the past…  Once when the pressure relief valve in a new oil pump was stuck, and the gauge went off the scale…  the other time was my fault when I put an oil pickup pipe joint on wrong, and the joint itself covered the pipe hole…  started it up and initial pressure then nothing… that gauge is a lifesaver!

Buzzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 14:43
Originally posted by Andyb Andyb wrote:

Very impressive.  Can you put up a few more photos?
What now - riding it or selling on?
AndyB

Sure, will post a video soon as its runningSmile

I will ride it over summer, and then see...  I have another project at the back of the garage which I will start soon... its another Ducati 1000...

I must admit I have loved this build, and if the Ducati project hadn't come along at silly money I would be doing another Guzzi.  But there is always next year Sleepy
AdrianW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 11:45
Fabulous job..
Cheers,

Adrian
Bristol UK
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 18:39
Let's see the back end but so far ACEThumbs Up
Andyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 17:35
Very impressive.  Can you put up a few more photos?
What now - riding it or selling on?
AndyB

cowboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 17:16
Cracking job. Well done.
-HJB- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -HJB- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 16:36
Looks absolutely stonking, just like the Ducatis! You’ll need to do a Laverda before the paint runs out though!
Brilliant engineering. Another great one to follow! Thumbs Up
Paul.

'72 V7 Sport, '79 Le Mans 2 - Sold, a couple of 60s Brit bikes and a general love of interesting old bikes & cars!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 18>
  Share Topic