guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worth it do you think?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worth it do you think?
    Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 19:33
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 19:49
Erm right all the yrs I have been riding I can tell if a tyre has lost just 2 lbs pressure ... to me that is a more money thing. There are valve caps that show green if ok and the green drops showing red tag if pressure drops 
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
pjenkins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 20:18
You get an inboard display that constantly tells you your pressures.
You're a lot more sensitive than me. 
Last slow puncture I had I didn't realise till I came to a corner and nearly washed out. 
It wasn't actually down that much 
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 21:36
The only serious problem I have had with a puncture, the front wheel went flat almost immediately. I was doing 70 in the outside lane of a dual carriageway, overtaking a big truck.
Don't know which of us got the biggest fright, the truck driver or me.
Managed to hold it upright down to about 30, and into the grass verge.

But I don't think any TPMS would have made any difference.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
pjenkins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 23:12
In that situation no.
A blowout is rare enough these days with tubeless tyres but getting one on the front is very unlucky as the vast majority of punctures occur on the rear. 
I was behind a guy on a bike once trickling through town who had a partial flat and didn't realise till I told him.
Its not always easy to feel at low speeds. 
Of course there will be situations where safety aids are ineffective. 
The best brakes in the world won't guarantee you can stop in time to avoid a collision. 
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 07:48
For the front is particular, TPMS could certainly have advantages, though you don't need to have constant indication of the actual pressure.
On ABS equipped bikes, you can have a system which tells you when one wheel suddenly starts turning faster, indicating one tyre is low in pressure. Many cars are now equipped with this method.

But with any type, all you need to know is that the pressure has dropped a certain amount from the preset.

The possible downside to having TPMS is that some assume they will be told when they need to check tyres, and don't check at all otherwise.
Heard a story on a car foum, someone complaining that his dealer refused to replace a tyre which had damage because he had never actually checked tyre pressures in the time he had owned the car. He assumed with TPMS he didn't need to. But the system was based on ABS so only tells you one wheel has a problem. If all tyres lose pressure - as they do over time, the system won't alert you.
Brian.

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 08:03
Wonder if they do a bike version?
Brian.

BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 09:16
Personally I can tell by feel if the pressures have dropped. Don't claim to have any special powers only quite a long time riding bikes.
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 11:11
Originally posted by Ken-Guzzibear Ken-Guzzibear wrote:

Erm right all the yrs I have been riding I can tell if a tyre has lost just 2 lbs pressure ... to me that is a more money thing. There are valve caps that show green if ok and the green drops showing red tag if pressure drops 

I don't like those as they effectively hold the valve open as far as I can see, so are a weak spot. The standard valve cap acts as a secondary seal if the valve core fails, which they do sometimes.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 11:16
Andy didn't say they were any good mate lol Hey you can always add some puncture preventative Gloop type stuff I know of at least 2 who often do long European rides who swear by it.
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
nickst4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickst4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 20:11
Cautionary tale about puncture-preventing goop: I used to put the most expensive version on the market in several of my bikes  in the 2000's, and all of them ended-up with corrosion of the alloy rims. Little worms of corrosion crept beneath the beads and let air out, without the stuff still inside sealing them!

Naturally I complained to the makers who reckoned the stuff was full of anti-corrosion ingredients, and the chap said he'd get back to me. That, of course, was the last I heard of it.

Moral is, if you put goop in, don't leave it very long.

Nick
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 21:47
I would agree with that, I had a similar problem, and the slow leak caused by the corrosion on an alloy cast wheel was not sealed by the gloop.
Brian.

Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 08:44
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

I would agree with that, I had a similar problem, and the slow leak caused by the corrosion on an alloy cast wheel was not sealed by the gloop.
is that cos the gloop is always thrown out centrifugally (leaving just enough to corrode the rim) ergo it would seal a hole in the tyre but not in the rim?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic