guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speedo alternatives V1000i Convert

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yan1114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speedo alternatives V1000i Convert
    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 19:02
My Convert speedo is big and ugly, I'd quite like to change it, I like the old /5 BMW speedo in headlight idea, anyone got any suggestions or alternatives please?
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 20:54
Let me know if you want to get rid of the current one
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 21:18
Alt speedo look at ETB instruments i looked for ages they are British made and on Digital speedos they have a cable to digital unit that screws into the gearbox , same as yam think it is 20mm 
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 13:32
Jim I just PM'd you buddy 
yan1114 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yan1114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 00:16
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-3-4-Motorcycle-Headlight-Integrated-Digital-GPS-Speedo-Matt-Black-Retro/402070057293?fits=UKM_Make%3AMoto+Guzzi&hash=item5d9d3e314d:g:AO0AAOSwIiVe-b7w

This would give me the clean lines I'm after, but..... I don't really want a digital speedo(eyesight good for distance, crap close up).
I've looked at the ETB site, they seem good quality, I'll investigate mountings, or maybe make my own.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 14:26
When I said digital that is the signal as opposed to cable, Digital speedo and tacho can still have a dial, pointer and look just like the old stuff I agree the modern stuff with Numbers look awful and often seem to fail.

But if you want to swap out the lot and  go for the T3 type set up ie analogue dials with speedo & tacho look at either the pod from a T3 or V50 you will have the idiot lights or even the newer dash from any V11 the le mans one is carbon fibre look the Cali is chrome. 

You will have to go electronic Tacho as a convert has no Tacho take off the newer dial but digital speedo from ETB with the "digital speedo screw in cable to digital pick up would give the correct look to the dash.

You will though loose the Hazard warning lights, unless you find a place to retro fit the switch as well as the fog lights and the low brake warning, I junked the top as it caused water ingress any way. But the V1000 dash has more warning lights than any other, they were designed for Police use.

Jmee has re done his with a T3 dash 

Of course you could embrace the 100mm speedo and either get a new one that looks the same ie dial OR replace with the, I think, ugly digital one that has inbuilt tacho etc, have to say it will lower the value of your bike.

To maintain the Historic look and value ... keep the dash get an ETB 100mm speedo you could retro fit the smaller tacho as fitted to the G5 but it would have to be electronic I made a pod to hold it where the G5 one is above the head stock from a cut down tin that "Blue Jeans Man" cologne is packaged it ...lol 

There are many options. but especially when dealing with a Historic bike think carefully before major alterations.

Just random thoughts .... had my V1000 since '89 it had been built as a Convert Then had literally thousands spent altering it to a 5 speed gearbox as to do that they had to junk the auto box, clutch, oil cooler. Add gearbox 5 speed type clutch alter the drive shaft at the UJ  quite a large job at the time I found out why and who but THAT is a long story 
yan1114 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yan1114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 17:18
Looks like the speedo/top box/steel erectors lunch box is staying, the wife likes it....."gives it that 70's look"..... I'll keep my eye out for a tinted screen to hide it.Wink
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 20:11
The G5 ought to have a screen fitted anyway But on mine after yrs of buffeting I found you need to have the front crash bar aerofoils fitted and space the top edge out by 1" I use the 3/4 chrome covered water pipe stronger than copper thicker and easy to cut to required size. Rubber tap washers longer button head stainless allen head bolts you also need dimpled metal washers although one mate used Italian coins, stops the perspex cracking carefully tighten don't overdo it. To be fair the 100mm speedo does grow on you and are generally accurate. The switches on the dash should have hazard warning lights and 1 spare for fog/spotlights .....

can't add pic file too big  sorry
yan1114 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yan1114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 20:46
Wish I could put photos on, all too big.Cry
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 23:06
There is a way but too clever for me
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 23:29
Try taking a pic sending it to your email and then saving it to hard disc taking the option to reduce size and load it up from there - works for me

Edited by Jim Mac - 01 Feb 2021 at 13:47
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 10:20
Tell you what Jim feel free to copy any of my pics .... lol
theone&onlymin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theone&onlymin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 14:25
Originally posted by yan1114 yan1114 wrote:

Wish I could put photos on, all too big.Cry

http://https://postimages.org/

EZPZ so it is, takes about 10 seconds..

Cheers
Min
theone&onlymin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theone&onlymin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 15:08
I bought this BMW headlamp shell years ago, haven't used it yet, obviously but may be a solution to your problem.  Fits G5 speedo so it does.

Cheers
Min  
yan1114 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yan1114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 15:25
Postimages:- Can't get on the website on my work computer, I'll try when I'm at home.

Beemer headlamp:- Yup exactly what I had in mind, get shut of that big Tupperware lump that I have now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic