guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Technical services
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Norge knowledge please...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marshall the Martian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Norge knowledge please...
    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 15:36

As maybe one or two of you know, I bought my new to me 2007 Norge on the 23rd December. Then with xmas and new year hols, followed by area lockdowns and then the big lockdown. Means I am still awaiting delivery Cry. As you can imagine I’m kinda going nuts.

Anyway, I've downloaded the handbook, manual and parts catalogue, so that’s all good. Smile

What I would like to trouble you for is...

Any Norge specific information, things to keep an eye on. tweaks, set up advise. Anything really that maybe you wished you had known when you first bought yours.

Many thanks and regards Marsh.

Edited by Marshall the Martian - 18 Jan 2021 at 19:14
2015 V7 II Special in go faster red
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 20:18
2007 Norge, mine is an 07 reg but built the previous year.

Hopefully yours will have had the "teething" problems sorted by now.
The first problem was the rear wheel support bearing, which was made of cheese. This was replaced by a steel one under warranty. All the early models had these cheap bearings fitted, but a better one was fitted as soon as someone bumped off the bean counter. LOL Yours should be OK by now.

The early models also suffered a faulty oil pump, which broke up. If yours has lasted this long, either it was after they modified it, or will have been replaced. I still have my old one with the outer rotor in 3 pieces.

They changed the spring in the rear suspension later in 2007, but mine was the earlier type and never bothered me as a relative lightweight.

Check the Click no crank topic in the FAQ section, especially if you find you get a click instead of vroom when trying to start.

Had a problem with battery charging, low volts from the alternator. This was traced to a bad connection in the wire from the alternator main output back to the battery. A new bit of heavier wire sorted this.

But basically it's a bomb proof bike.

Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Marshall the Martian View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marshall the Martian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 22:00
Many thanks for your input Brian.

Regards Marsh
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 07:48
One more thing, might have been done on yours by now, look at the "click no crank" topic in the FAQ section. A wiring mod for the start relay. If it hasn't been done, well worth it, and use thicker wire than the original too.
Brian.

borderer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 20:11
Rear suspension linkage needs greased annually. They suffered from the great Guzzi grease shortage of 1921 to 2021. so its worthwhile doing the steering head bearings and rear swing arm bearings. plenty of u tube guides to show how to do it. only other problem on these bikes that I had was poor earth ( behind the starter motor) and sticky starter solenoid.
Gizzmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gizzmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 20:31
GREASE, GREASE and GREASE
In the process of replacing swinging arm bearings (seem to be a better seals than standard)  and all shock linkage bearings and bushes on my Breva. Not cheap.
Grease shaft splines as well, mine are rusty/dry
Probably not been touched by previous owners

Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marshall the Martian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 10:54
Many thanks all, large bucket of grease on order...

News on the bike front is, because of work commitments time has slipped by. It's still not arrived and my latest communication with them said the following. And I quote
 Hi Marsh 
Sorry not in today but I spoke to Gary the workshop manager yesterday we are currently waiting on some clutch parts but coming from abroad hence the delay I will try find out more for you on Monday when I am back in buddy, sorry for the late reply.

Not impressed to say the least. Previously not mentioned

Should I be happy it's getting sorted or are they extracting the urine.

Please advise and thoughts. Regards Marsh

Edited by Marshall the Martian - 06 Feb 2021 at 10:57
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 12:21
Be pleased they care ..... there are delays on incoming items due to the customs chaos, weather and covid delays to protect staff 
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 12:34
And if they are coming from Guzzi factory we all know that is slow at best of times
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 12:40
It's a bit much to offer a bike for sale then say it's not ready because still waiting for parts. You assume a bike being sold (by a dealer?) is complete and ready to go unless otherwise stated.
So in that respect they are extracting the urine.
I assume you have paid for this already? I think you would be within your rights to ask for at least a partial refund for all the messing about.
You also should tell them in writing that "time is of the essence" and give them some sort of time limit to deliver.
Brian.

Rushjob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rushjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 15:29
In practice this is quite common, many dealers will only actually do the necessary work on a used bike once they've sold it in order to avoid spending money on a bike that they may well end up having to punt out through the trade or an auction if it doesn't shift, this is especially true if the bike isn't one that regularly figures in the normal inventory of said dealer.
It's not good news for the OP hearing about the delays, but as has been said, it's getting done and it's crap riding weather now so all should be good for the spring.
Insert witty signature below............
Loopian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loopian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 18:45
I get that a dealer may only want to do the work when he sells the bike.  I don’t get or accept that he only tells the customer after the purchase.
Good luck.
Ian
Rushjob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rushjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 20:04
To be fair to the dealer who cannot give their side of the story, in my experience the number of times that sales had bought bikes in after allegedly test riding them to check the bike, only for the bike to then be sold and when workshops do a PDI only to find some issues with the bike is not a one off occurrence..... I'm thinking of you Ducati Hypermotard with non functioning dash requiring extensive loom repairs and the supposed original exhaust which actually came from IIRC a 1000DS!
Insert witty signature below............
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marshall the Martian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 20:09
Many many thanks for your wise words gents. Can't imagine they knew about the problem. Because even at cost I would imagine it will destroy there profit margin. I will try n chill about it and see what develops. Rite bike is the company and they sell then service. It's not the best scenario I'm in, but I can't go anywhere so fingers crossed it gets sorted. Hopefully it's a proper job as I believe it is a big job to do properly.
Anyways I'm wittering on so... Thanks once again I really do appreciate your thoughts. Obviously I will let you know any developments.
Regards Marsh
Tony G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 20:47
Rite Bike! Didn't they use to be Viva Moto? On a industrial Estate
I'll get their soon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic