guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Spine Frame
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

California rear crash bars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: California rear crash bars
    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 15:15
Can anyone tell me which rear crash bars would be suitable for my 2002 California EV 
Thanks 
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 18:04
Go to Gutsibits or reboot they may have good condition oem ones 
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
pjenkins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 19:58
Thanks but tried that
No joy 
Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 10:28
Hi, I have a good condition set that I took off my current 97 Cali 1100i  about 9 years ago that I would be willing to sell if any good.

I'm pretty certain that the frame on the 1100i and the later EV is the same ( forks are different ) as I have had both models  HOWEVER  the chrome rear frame covers are definitely different, the 1100i having two holes for the top of the crash bars to pass through onto the frame.

Here are some photos of the EV, Cali 1100i and Rear Crash bars. 

PM me if interested. I'm not desperate to sell so no problem if you don't want them as they will sell easily on Ebay in the spring.

Can I suggest that you remove your rear chrome trim and you should find a frame locating bracket for the top crash bar mount. The lower mount on EV and 1100i is identical. Your chrome trim may need altering to fit rear bars .

Guzzi California EV

Guzzi California 1100i

Guzzi California 1100i with Crash Bars fitted

Guzzi California 1100i showing rear Chrome Trim access hole to frame

California 111,California 1100i,Suzuki FZ50, Yamaha YB100, NSU Quickly,

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
pjenkins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 10:50
Thanks for that.

Yes the guy at gutsibits told me I'd have to use a set from an earlier model and adapt to fit, but then I came across these on the Hepco & Becker site.

I can't tell if this is an earlier bike but the chrome cover certainly looks like mine. 

Please let me know what you think

They're not prohibitively expensive. 

In the mean I'll do as you suggest to see if there's a chance yours might fit. 

Cheers 

Appreciate it. 
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 11:07
If you are looking at new ones Try Fowlers mind you Guzzi often charge stupid money for some items yet are sometimes real cheap on others 

Nicks Euro Bits often have Guzzi stuff in as well 

Moto Bins are UK agent for Hepco also whilst now a BMW spares breaker they do have a fair bit of experience with Guzzi

Edited by Ken-Guzzibear - 16 Jan 2021 at 11:10
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 11:40
Hi, the photo that you posted has the normal Cali EV frame covers on as per my photo of my EV that I once had

Looking at Gutsibits site it would appear that they do not list bars for the Cali EV model but as you rightly say, they say that the set that they do sell for the earlier 1100i MAY need the chrome covers adapting.to fit them to later Cali's such as the EV.

Your photo seems to show that the covers on that EV with Hepco luggage are unmodified and they have still managed to fit the rear crash bars.Confused

I would take one cover off your bike and see how restricted ( if at all ) the access to the frame lug concerned is. It may be that once you have done this you can see what is involved. The lower mount on both bikes is identical and will cause no issue.

Sorry I can't be of more help than that.Thumbs Up

Edited by Tarquin - 16 Jan 2021 at 11:44

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
Gianni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gianni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 13:14
I've seen the result of a later Cali (not sure which model but before 2007) going down on the crashbars on the left hand side. The alloy passenger footplate had fractured top and bottom at the front of the relief and the silencer bracket had twisted. Also the chrome had been scraped off the crashbar which had bent. Chatting to the owner he said he had been moving but at low speed and not hit anything other than the ground.

Seems like the design of the later crashbar fitting can potentially cause significant damage.

The earlier ones attached to a steel fishplate or (even earlier) the rear frame lower bolt which makes more sense.
Le Mans 1, Spada, Cali 1, T3 Mongrel, Le Mans V, Quota x 2, Stelvio TT
pjenkins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 13:45
Well I wanted the rear bars to protect the leather panniers which I knew were expensive, but having just checked on fowlers, I nearly spat my coffee when I saw how much.
The first price I saw was £2000 which I thought was ridiculous but then noticed that's the price EACH.
It seems they're made by a high end furniture maker. 
So that's it. 
It's all coming off and going in the attic. 
Instead of crash bars I'll try and source  different aftermarket panniers. 
I'm not too worried about scuffing up a standard plastic box. and panniers also work effectively as general side protection so I'm not going to bother with crash bars after all. 
I do appreciate the input 
Thanks 
👍
Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 14:02
No problem.

Those prices seem too ridiculous  to be accurate though and I would hazard a guess that there's defintely an extra zero that shouldn't be there. Even at £200 a side that is silly money.

The set that I have will sell on Ebay no bother just as all the other bits have in  the last month or so.

They are pretty much the last bits from my Guzzi clearout. I know that I will not be putting them back on again but someone will .

Good luck with getting it the way you want it.Thumbs Up

pjenkins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 14:18

Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 14:22
I bet they sell loads of them them.LOL

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic