guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK, LED and HID conversions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickst4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 09:32
It certainly takes a lot of discipline not to look at headlights and thus bleach the most sensitive area of your retina. When HID first came out, I was fascinated by the blue aura and definitely stared at it. Even now, BMW and Minis cars have the most distracting lights, though I don't know if they are HID or LED. Look away very quickly is my maxim now.

No need here to get into discussing the add-on high-intensity lights that every BM GS rider believes are necessary in order to make their imperious progress along ordinary roads where there is very little chance of encountering an elephant! Nor, perhaps, the crutch-rocketiers who run with mainbean on in daylight and presumably at night too. It's for safety, I've been told, because car-drivers just don't see me as I approach and overtake at ballistic speed... 

For me, the bottom line is all light is GOOD (I was once a commercial-standard photographer), but artificial lights should be used with due consideration. Hopefully, Guzzi riders tend toward the considerate end of the spectrum?

Nick
Diesel Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diesel Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 11:20
Here's a copy of the latest update sent to MOT Testers.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diesel Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 11:29
Interestingly it has the same wording fault as the original notification - refers to HALOGEN headlamps...

So if your classic has INCANDESCENT bulbs and gets swapped for an LED........
Guzzi1000SE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guzzi1000SE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 11:41

Does this include motorcycles as it doesn’t mention class 2 (motorcycles)? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diesel Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 11:51
TBH I hadn't noticed that....

In that case the original notification applies...so we should be OK to use LED bulbs.

nickst4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickst4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 12:14
Well, at the very least, MOT testers (and us) can claim confusion over the rules, so perhaps it will go well with us after all!

Might it help if we had a Union Flag sticker on our bikes too, or is that getting too political for the forum? 
Apologies....

Nick
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 13:43
If we ever get the chance to leave UK shores for a holiday, you can have a Union Flag sticker on your numberplate with GB under it.

So as I now read the confusion, you can put an LED bulb into an old reflector on a motorcycle, but not in a car?
Does that really make any sense to anyone?

By the way, all Halogen bulbs are incandescent, no confusion there. Halogen is just the gas added in the bulb which allows the tungsten filament to run hotter (brighter).
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diesel Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 16:36
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

By the way, all Halogen bulbs are incandescent, no confusion there. Halogen is just the gas added in the bulb which allows the tungsten filament to run hotter (brighter).

Too true; but conversely not all incandescent bulbs are halogen.....

So if your Guzzi is old enough not to have a halogen headlamp (I would guess they would have been introduced in the late 70's or early 80's). Then the wording is unfortunate on the rules as it doesn't cover such headlamps.

Trying not to be anal about this - not sure I'm achieving the goal. Confused

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 23:01
How many drivers don't know what 'incandescent' means, but they will no trouble recognizing 'halogen' Confused

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Doc. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 08:30
I'm going to keep using my LED H/Light 'Bulbs' until I'm told I can't . . . 

I tried a couple of types before settling on the current ones.

First pair had a triangular 'Post', with LEDs on all three sides.
No Beam Pattern (unsurprisingly), as the LEDs were positioned totally differently to a normal Bulb's Filaments.
 Second pair had the correctly positioned LEDs, but the Finned Body wouldn't go through the Hole in the Reflector.

Third pair are good, Beam Pattern correct, better output than Halogens.

I don't expect my MOT Tester to say anything, after all, he hasn't picked up that the lights Dip the wrong way for the UK (good old Guzzi!), after four MOTs . . . Cool
Doc out!

Stelvio/V85 Owners Group on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/888995181188209/?fref=nf
nickst4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickst4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 09:00
Good comment! At one stage I fitted all the bikes with the type of LED that has four ranks of COB emitters. on the basis that they gave 360degrees of illumination and would resemble filament bulbs. Not so: the beam patterns were dreadful because the light source was much too wide. Now I go for slim Auxito two-sided units, which can also be rotated in their mounts to trim the pattern. These are fan-cooled of course; much better than the passive cooled ones as they are a deal more powerful.

LED forever, I hope, but used responsibly.

Nick

Stevex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 11:43
This is what I fitted to my LM2, luckily I have enough room behind the fairing for the heatsink.
Latest LED Motorcycle Headlight H4 Z-ES Chips 4600 Lumen 472 475 P43T – Classic Car LEDs Ltd
They also sell a converter ring to allow the H4 bulb fitment to be used with the old style Guzzi bulb fitment at the back of the headlight.

Steve
nickst4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickst4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 12:50
That looks good, though I think somewhat pricier than necessary for the same quality. I wonder if LED chips are now much more resistant to heat than they were, because I can see the benefit of a passive heat-sink over a fan one for reliability, given the same power handling. Bear in mind that car headlamps often have much more space behind and around them for cooling than enclosed bike installations.

Nick
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 13:37
I've recently fitted an LED headlamp "Bulb" to a BPF reflector. I haven't seen BPF light units mentioned regarding conversions, just halogen units. Are they covered by the legislation and will the bike fail its MOT?
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 14:06
There seems to be so much confusion on this.
What it comes down to is, as I see it -
Is the beam pattern OK, does it cut off correctly on dip?
Will the tester notice?

However, I'm sure when they refer to Halogen, they mean any incandescent bulb. But the only way to be certain is to contact DVSA and ask.

I've just sent off an enquiry to them.
If I get an answer, I'll post it here.

Edited by Brian UK - 10 Apr 2021 at 14:22
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic