guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > General Electrical issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battery types.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery types.
    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 13:49
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/batteries/car-batteries/yuasa-hsb013-silver-12v-car-battery-5-year-guarantee-160997.html

I got this battery for our grand daughter's car as the existing battery had died through lack of use. It is described as an SMF (Sealed maintenance free)Type.
Given current circumstances she will not be using the car much and my fear is that we shall get a repeat of the circumstances which caused the previous battery to fail so.............I want to get her an intelligent battery charger and show her how to use it. Her husband, bless him, doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to hold. So the question is, are SMF batteries the same as Gel,AGM,flooded or what? I don't want to buy the wrong charger and ruin the expensive new battery.
Sorry, no Guzzi content but the information I hope to receive could be useful with regard to bikes too.
Thanks, Dave.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
drøn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drøn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 14:50
As I understand it, SMF, gel, and AGM are the same.
Could be mistaken though...
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 15:26
Yes, Dave, sealed batteries are the same as far as chargers are concerned. Make sure you get an intelligent charger though as these can be left connected more than simple ones.

I'm sure she's not the only one who has had that experience.

I bought one of these chargers which certainly does what it should. However, this is for a 70AH AGM battery. A smaller battery would not require one of that size. Same company make a 4A one available for under £25.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 15:55
Ok chaps thanks for the advice. I have ordered the one you linked to Brian it being an 8amp charger. The battery she has, has a bench charging rate of 6amps and is rated at 65AH. I hope I've done the right thing. I still have a charger in the shed with £2/9/11d written on the box. It was simpler in dad's time.

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 16:18
I dare say that old charger would still work.
But it would need monitoring.
I lent a large  (100AH) storage battery to a friend once. He left it on a charger and it came back dry as a bone, totally useless.
Brian.

Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 17:03
It does still work, several years ago before I understood that different batteries required different charging procedures, the old charger comprehensively destroyed an Odyssey AGM battery from my Laverda SF1
You live and learn.

Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 17:41
For what it is worth I found Tayna Batteries offer a quick and decent service and very good advice. Yes different batteries require not only different chargers but using an AGM battery on a vehicle designed for lead acid will kill it. The old style chargers were not meant to be left hooked up to a battery forever.

bought one of these keep it with the trailer tent on hols 2019 a guy killed his campervan AGM battery it took 9 hrs to recover it but it did recover it. I was impressed 
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 23:51
I googled "smf battery meaning"

Top of page, Sealed Maintenance Free, aka, Value Regulated Lead Acid, talks about plates so I take this to mean it's essentially a common-or-garden sealed lead acid battery (SLA),  not mat or gel etc.

I would suggest an Optimate. Question

Also SLA's need care charging because you cannot replace any lost water.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 08:14
Maintenance Free batteries have been common in the car world for a very long time.

Any automatic charger will work fine.
I doubt an Optimate would give sufficient charge rate for a 65AH battery.
Brian.

trophydave View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophydave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 15:11
I have charged car batteries with an Optimate,it can take several days.
-HJB- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -HJB- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 17:58
I’ve got a couple of these and they’ve been great. 6 / 12v, car or bike, charge or intelligent winter mode, suit different battery types. 

Paul.

'72 V7 Sport, '79 Le Mans 2 - Sold, a couple of 60s Brit bikes and a general love of interesting old bikes & cars!
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 16:58
I bought one of these.
I Paid the price quoted at the top of the page. Having done so I scrolled down and saw that I could have had it for ten pounds less!!
What did I miss??? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maypole-MP7428-8-Amp-12V-Electronic-Smart-Car-Battery-Charger-Fast-Trickle/362386952102?epid=2074222310&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item545ff20fa6:g:3qEAAOSwAOdbTD1I&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAA

David Nimrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Nimrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 18:26

BMW R1150GS (2003)
Harley FXST (1989)
Harley FLHS (1988)

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 23:23
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

I doubt an Optimate would give sufficient charge rate for a 65AH battery.

Optimate do many diferent chargers even for cars and trucks. Have you seen their web site lately? LOL

Even do solar panel chargers (that was news to me)

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 10:42
Yep had a solar panel keeping leisure battery charged on Trailer tent for a few years now
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic