guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Spine Frame
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

California top box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: California top box
    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 22:14
I don't even have my bike yet but I'm planning ahead.
I'll soon be the owner of  a California 1100 touring which has what looks to me like the factory rack incorporating a passenger bum stop. 
I'd like to be able to use a Givi top box I already have on my other bike and was wondering if there is a kit that would allow me to do that. 
It looks like the back rest would obstruct lid from opening so the mounting plate would need to be raised up a bit.
Nothing is coming up under a search so happy for any advice. 
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 10:48
Easy to do I have the same thing EV with Hepco side boxes, look pretty but not a patch on the Givis on my V1000. 

All you need is the correct Givi plate there are 2 types depending on top box size. That fits to the rack with "W" clips which are as they say. "W" shaped metal with bolt through. The top plate has, as you may know, slots to enable bolt to go thro' giving a decent degree of movement. 

I used nylock nuts did it up finger tight so I could position the top box to allow Annie to sit comfy 

The back rest does not cause an issue. I have a 45 L Givi and the much later 52 litre box with it's own fitted backrest the EV one fits neatly in no need for any spacers.

This is how Guzzi fitted the Givi rack to the earlier Cali 3 by the way as the fittings for the "wingrack" set the panniers too high. they then fitted the pannier racks way lower

I am hopeless at loading pics here but they are on my facebook page kenneth sheridan irwin you will see the EV Touring with 52 litre box on it

Oh I found out about 2 plates by getting the "wrong One" first but plenty on e-bay very easy to do.
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
pjenkins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 13:31
Thanks for the reply.
I found a photo of the same backrest / rack set up my bike has.
Is this what you have 

David Nimrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Nimrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 14:18
Looks like that rack will need some proper bracing...

What a daft bit of 'design'...

Hardly optimised for actually carrying stuff of any weight.

BMW R1150GS (2003)
Harley FXST (1989)
Harley FLHS (1988)

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 09:43
yes it works fine i have different boxes but the rear rack is actually braced better than it may appear if i could trim the pic i could post it here but too much faffing about 

The givi plate fits to that rack as I said with W clips just searched ebay for Givi top box and fittings it shows the plate and clips. I have used both bikes for rallies with 52 litre top box but often the box comes off and 5 person tent with air beds/sleeping bags chairs on the rack no issues at all 

Look at the type of plate you have on the existing bike get that plate and takes what 10 mins to fit position it with backrest up it is fine.
pjenkins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 11:33
Thanks Ken
That's good to know as I already have a large givi top box which would be great to use. 
Its not so much for carrying stuff. 
Just a useful place to stow two helmets when off the bike walking about. 
I have actually searched but can't find anything. 
I'd love to see a photo of your set up. 
Why not try postimage. 
Its an image hosting site and very easy to use. 
Search postimage 
Upload a photo then select the option "hotlink for forums" when completed.
Copy and paste that link into your reply and I'll be able to see it. 
Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 12:23
Hi, this is the factory rack fitted to my 97 Cali 1100i.

The bike came with Hepco and Becker panniers and top box and I can confirm that the lid opens fine with the top box in situ.

I know that it is not identical to yours but if you got a Universal Givi Base plate, that may solve your problem as it would fasten straight onto your existing rack.

Just make sure that if buying a Givi Universal Base plate that you get the correct one for your box ie, is your box " Monokey" or "Monolock"   The plate and Box must match.

Edited by Tarquin - 31 Dec 2020 at 12:57
California 111,California 1100i,Suzuki FZ50, Yamaha YB100, NSU Quickly,

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
pjenkins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 13:02
Thanks Tarquin
I have looked at these Hepco Becker set ups and notice that the separate base that's attaches to the OE rack is raised off it slightly. 
I have assumed this is to clear the box lid from the back rest 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 15:10
Well the EV has hepco panniers but Givi top box, my V1000 has givi all round the givi boxes are far better the hepco let in wet their answer to buy hepco inners!!! Had I got the bike with no panniers Givi rails would have been fitted The hepco only just take 1 lid the Givi take 2 ...and are totally waterproof
Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 18:53
Originally posted by Ken-Guzzibear Ken-Guzzibear wrote:

Well the EV has hepco panniers but Givi top box, my V1000 has givi all round the givi boxes are far better the hepco let in wet their answer to buy hepco inners!!! Had I got the bike with no panniers Givi rails would have been fitted The hepco only just take 1 lid the Givi take 2 ...and are totally waterproof

Got to speak as you find Ken.

In the 8 years that I have had my Cali, the Hepco luggage has been all over Europe in some horrible weather and never let a drop in.Confused

As for a Givi top box taking 2 helmets and the Hepco only one, well yes, if you buy the 2 helmet size Givi box it will indeed take 2 helmets but their equivalent size to the Hepco only takes one.Big smile

My Burgman 400 came with a single helmet Givi Top Box and I bought an additional  2 Helmet Top Box. 

I fit the size that I need.LOL

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 21:12
40 litre Hepco is rubbish my 45 litre Givis had for 30 yrs never leaked ever got a 52 litre Givi top box way superior to the Hepco and not as pricey .... certainly no fan of hepco stuff. it is how i find it the 45 l Givis and 52 litre take 2 lids , 40 l Hepco no way 

Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 07:36
Ken, my Hepco luggage came with the bike, I did not buy it separately.

Whenever I have bought additional luggage it has been Givi and I've been happy with it.

The Hepco I have has also been fine so can only speak as I find.

Lastly, the main point is that you must compare apples with apples not apples with pears.

Clearly a 40 ltr Hepco top box will not take two helmets and neither will the same size Givi

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic