guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Singles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lodola 235 engine rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lodola 235 engine rebuild
    Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 09:54
Hi there,
I have a 1960 Lodola 235 engine in a box of bits that I am attempting to rebuild,
Starting with the crank there appears to be two types,one with a pinch bolt on one side of flange and one that press fit both flange, which is the one I have.

Is there a shim either side of con rod between the crank flanges?
if so how thick?

Once the crank has been pressed up, what clearance am I aiming for?

What should the overall width be?

Is the crank shimmed in the cases for end float?

I have a manual, but its very vague and I don't understand Italian.
Help,
Donald.
Donald View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 21:27
Well I have new conrod  fitted,  its 20mm between  the webs.
I see oil is fed to the big end from a pipe coming out of the caseing, should there be a seal in there somewhere? I dont see anything in the parts diagrams.
 Help
Donald. 
adrian55 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrian55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 20:57
hi Donald, i am still trying to get my Lodola engine apart....after taking off the cam housing, i too was mystified as to how the oil is sealed as it passes into the right hand side of the  crank....i'll have a look tomorrow to see if i can see any seal inside the crank....do you know if the nut on the right hand end of the crankshaft is right hand thread? 

did you find a suitable 4-pronged tool for the final drive sprocket nut?

i hope we might be able to work through this together?
Donald View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 21:31
Hi Adrian 
nuts on crank are right hand..
Yes the crank oil feed is odd  as in there doesn't  appear to be a  seal .Please look very closely and see if you can find anything. There is nothing in the parts book,and the workshop manual is in Italian and not much  help.
I did not strip my engine, it came completely strip.I have replaced  the bearings,had to get them from Italy off Ebay,could not find them  here.The split roller bearing is the same as triumph 5t its was the only one bought here.
Donald a
Donald View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 21:34
The drive sprocket nut I used a c spanner. 
a blunt punch could be used to tap it round
adrian55 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrian55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 21:46
thanks Donald, will have a close look ......if i can be of any help, please let me know
Donald View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 22:09
It's nice to know someone else out there is working  on one of these bikes
I now have bottom end back together, looks like I have 4 gears, the gear change  mechanism is a bit odd, trial and error fit, eventually got it right.
There is a bush on r/h side crank that goes in flange  side to the case ,has to be placed in position before you drop  case onto crank.
Having  a rebore  done and still to clean up head
Just made up wiring loom and fitting a solid state voltage regulator 

adrian55 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrian55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 11:22
yes, you are well ahead of me....i am impressed by the quality of design, so far

there is no seal at all in the right hand end of the crank, the bore is 8.2 and the od of the brass tube which fits into it is 7.2, so not conducive to high pressure! is the oil on its way back to sump at that point?

finally cracked the nut on the right hand end of the crank, with breaker bar, a very high torque for a small nut....unfortunately the gear came off a bit too quickly before i had a chance to mark its position....it has 3 keyways, not equi-spaced, and i guess they are for fine-tuning of the valve timing...but setting it correctly will be difficult.

Donald, do you know what this nut is: its on the right hand case, just below the top and a line dropped vertically from it is about half-way between crank and final drive shafts and the shaft it's holding is hollow?

Have you managed to source parts like pistons, alternator belt, etc?
George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 12:03
Hi may be of interest there is a Google Guzzi singles forum.  I can post the Web address tonight if you want. I 
George

1994 Nevada
1962 Lightweight ducati Bevel Single
Son's 1990 1000S to borrow any time
Donald View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 14:06
Hi George,  
Thanks for that ,I have looked a that site, not much information on the lodola 
that was relevant to the engine  rebuild. 
Donald View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 01:33
Hi Adrian 
the hole I think you are referring  to is the gearbox main shaft ,and the clutch push rod goes through it
I tried to upload picture of timing gear ,but site wont accept it.
Donald View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 01:43
Here is a link  from Don Strada.

user manual, very helpful, shows how timing  is set up.
mine was a blob of red paint on cam wheel and pinion 

Donald View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 01:59
Donald, do you know what this nut is: its on the right hand case, just below the top and a line dropped vertically from it is about half-way between crank and final drive shafts and the shaft it's holding is hollow?

Looking at my engine, is it the brass socket head nut?
if so, it just unscrew and there is a long oil filter that filters the oil in sump that is scavenged back to oil tank 
Donald View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 12:33
My engine rebuild  is coming  along, but yesterday dropped a bit of the clutch push  rod and I am now turning garages  upside down  to find it.
adrian55 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrian55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 13:30
Donald, it will have rolled to the furthest reaches of your garage!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic