guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > CARC models
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Norge 1200 Dashboard/Speedometre Issue + ECU 00
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Norge 1200 Dashboard/Speedometre Issue + ECU 00

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Norge 1200 Dashboard/Speedometre Issue + ECU 00
    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 13:54
Hello Guys,

I just got back from a country trip, and I am now concerned that there is something particularly wrong with my dashboard and speedometer.

First off, recently I noticed that on the dashboard the information on the display has become less visible. Though this did not affect the functions of the bike, I just could not figure out at a glance what is being displayed. I needed to stop to looking intently if I wanted to toggle through the mode slides.

Secondly, my speedometer during startup started getting bouncy before it cycles through. When it does, it does not return to the zero mark, it might hang around some 30 or 80 or 120km/h speed mark or any.  It is erratic soon afterl it becomes fixed outside 240km/h mark. Mostly it stays at that spot, and some times it rises and falls. I removed the battery fuses over the night, it worked to lift back up to postion but did not correct the issue.

Later on, during a startup the red caution (service light) popped out, checking the diagnosis, I see it is ECU 00 (Error Unknown), Could this be related to above speedometer issue, or what could possible be the cause of the speedometer issue and ECU 00?
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 19:42
Depending on the year of the bike there have been condensation issues with these dashboards ( a great thread on this last year) but the later ones appear to have solved the problem. The main issue was damp collecting in the casing and then doing damage to the circuit board which in turn gave all sorts of problems

CHRIS 
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Double-f View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 19:49
Thanks Chris, it is a 2007. OK I will try and look around for that thread, could this have triggered ECU 00...or is it completely unrelated?
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 10:18
Unfortunately the condensation issues seem to give varying faults but your fault may be totally unrelated and coincidental. The usual give away is misting on the inside of the dash face and unfortunately your bike, more than likely, has one of the earlier dashboards.
Brian is probably the best man to give a more definitive opinion on the Norge speedo`s as the thread was specifically about Breva`s and there derivatives, but the dash is basically identical as only the left hand handlebar operating device is different.

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Double-f View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 10:34
For sure expecting Brian's thoughts on this. Yes, lots of similarity with the Breva. The bike still runs like a champ even with the erratic Speedo. The ECU 00, pretty much came up much after when I started experiencing the speedo issue. I also checked the pins to the dashboard, and gave it a good clean up. Still keep back with same. 
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 10:38
I`ve just noted your location so dashboard misting may be a none issue in your neck of the woods

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 14:36
ECU 00 can be a result of the ECU earth not being sound. There is a short wire from the ECU which is the earth, and if there is any rust or corrosion on that earth connection to the frame then you can get the error.
But I doubt that has anything to do with the other dash faults.

I thought of condensation too, but not sure it would apply where you are either.

Since everything seems to be working, then I would thing your problem is a display issue, the connection to the LCD display.

There was another post about somethng similar recently.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 15:10
If it’s the LCD display then the conclusion was that replacement of the whole dashboard was the way to go unless you are expert at rebuilding circuit boards etc 

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Doc. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 16:09
I think the 2007 Norge has separate 'Clocks' Chris, not an LCD Dash (and large Analogue Tacho) like the later CARC models.

LCD Screens can suffer if left in direct Sunlight, in high temps.
Can also be exacerbated by a Screen focusing/concentrating the Sunlight onto the Dash in certain positions.
Doc out!

Stelvio/V85 Owners Group on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/888995181188209/?fref=nf
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 18:01
I`m not in a position to argue about Norge but I thought all the big CARCS  had a similar dash, at least that`s what the parts catalogue suggests for this model.

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Double-f View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 20:13
I'd have a look at ECU earth contact then. At least to Isolate the ECU 00. Thanks.

I will do another another check on the connection to the display, and get some contact spray to it. though the pins looks fine the last I checked. Where does the speedo gets its information from, from the front wheel speed sensor? The erratic behavior begs the question of intermittent signal. Just thinking.

Femi F
Double-f View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 20:19
that's a tough one. I have been doing some window shopping on the display, and its at a pretty interesting price. Big smile
Femi F
Doc. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 20:33
Originally posted by c13pep c13pep wrote:

I`m not in a position to argue about Norge but I thought all the big CARCS  had a similar dash, at least that`s what the parts catalogue suggests for this model.

CHRIS

I'm not familiar with the 2007 Norge, with regards to a damp-in-the-Clocks issue, I've only heard/read of it being fairly common in the one-piece CARC Dashes (Stelvio, Griso, etc).

The 2007 Norge has three 'Dials', with just a very small LCD Display, as I understand it.

Doc out!

Stelvio/V85 Owners Group on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/888995181188209/?fref=nf
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 21:37
The 2007 Norge has 3 "dials", speedo, Tacho and fuel level. It also has an LCD display for trip, time etc, plus the menus.
It is esentially the same as the Breva and early 1200 sport. So it can suffer from condensation in the same way. Indeed many Norges did suffer, but the worst were those with the electric windscreen, the dash as fitted at a different angle on them.
Never had problems on my 2007 Norge dash so far.

On the Norge, the speedo is driven from the front ABS sensor.

The first thing I would do is disconnect the big plug on the back of the dash, spray some contact cleaner on the pins, then plug it back in. It could be just a bad connection.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Double-f View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 10:12
Mine has the electric windscreen. I am still hopeful regardless. Pulled it out, since i will be checking the ECU connections as well.
So this is how the display looks like for those inquiring. The needles are in their positions. The LCD display is indeed going out on me, just need to look more intently to see what behind.  I wont mind a fix though.

Femi F
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic