guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > General Electrical issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starter relays

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 09:27
Ah! That must be the answer then.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
italianmotor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:00
Hi Brian - it's the same as this, this is a pic from Ebay, so just one terminal.

Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Actually at this point I would put a voltmeter positive probe onto the relay terminal carrying the wire from the battery, the negative probe onto earth. You should see 12v there (or whatever battery volts you have). Then press the start button. Does the voltage you see change? If it doesn't, then the relay contacts have gone.

But Adam, can you clear up one thing. On the starter motor itself, is there one terminal or two (one big and one small)?
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 13:35
So there is no solenoid in the system, the start relay is the solenoid and carries the starter motor current.
So I suspect your relay has bad contacts. That 100A relay you looked at should be ideal.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 19:06
I tried this Brian, and yes, the voltage didn't flicker from the usual 12 volts plus the battery was showing.
One thing I did notice is the the battery light on the dash is not lighting up, but this would have nothing to do with it? I checked the bulb, has resistance, so assume it must be another issues.

Actually at this point I would put a voltmeter positive probe onto the relay terminal carrying the wire from the battery, the negative probe onto earth. You should see 12v there (or whatever battery volts you have). Then press the start button. Does the voltage you see change? If it doesn't, then the relay contacts have gone.

But Adam, can you clear up one thing. On the starter motor itself, is there one terminal or two (one big and one small)?
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 20:50
Your relay isn't relaying.

The battery/charge warning light is not connected to this problem.
Brian.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 10:18
Thanks Brian, I'm going to order the one I linked to and report back. I think the battery light isn't coming on as the bike has stood for quite a while, and seeing as I can't really get it started, it'll wait until next week - maybe the rotor needs flashing..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 10:26
Interestingly enough, here's a pic of another very original V35 with the same starter motor, and the original plastic cover too, I've never see one.

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 10:58
If the bike has stood for some time, check the brushes are making contact with the slip rings.
Brian.

Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:13
Funny enough there was someone with a 75A bosch relay from a BMW on here 
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Ian T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:48
Meeeeeeeee

From me K75s

How soon one is forgotten Cry

Cheers

Ian
Ian (neophyte juicer under training)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 16:50
Ah, just bought this, 15 quid, am gonna try it on Monday, hope it resolves the starting issue..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 16:52
Will do that, thanks Brian. I have already checked continuity in all the wiring and it's fine, so hoping it's something simple.

If the bike has stood for some time, check the brushes are making contact with the slip rings.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 18:25
So I fitted the new really, as above. At first, click click, nothing. Then it all started working. Started the bike fine, span the starter several times in a row, Had the bike running, but still no charging, for a while. Then, back to click click click, all on a decently charged battery. So I don't really know what I have discovered...
Richard Hyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 20:09
OK
Earth problem maybe?
Battery negative to engine / chassis?
Put a jump lead negative to battery neg and other end to the block.
See if that goes

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 22:21
If it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, they you have a dodgy connection somewhere.

Intermittent faults can be a pig to find though.

However, if the charging is also not working it could be a bad earth, try as Richard suggests.
Check where the battery is earthed to the frame.
Brian.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic