guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introduction > Introduce yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greetings from North Yorkshire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pen-pusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greetings from North Yorkshire
    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 13:35
Hi everyone.  Thank you for having me.  I am considering buying a V85tt and so have joined this forum to try and get some "insider" information!  The bike looks like it would meet all my needs.  I currently ride a Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer - This is a brilliant bike but it is just so heavy (top heavy) to move around and it doesn't have cruise control (I do a lot of motorway work and cruise control is a must have on my next bike).  I think the V85 looks stunning and I think it will meet my needs.  Clearly I will need to test ride one as it will need to feel OK two up for long distance work and it would have to pass "management" approval from the wife from a comfort point of view......  Has anyone gone down from a 127 BHP to the more modest power of the V85?  How did you get on?  I am looking forward to exploring the possibilities.  Best wishes to you all. Chris.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 15:47
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
NorthumBryan View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NorthumBryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 16:24
I went from an Aprilia Caponord 1200 (125hp) to the V85tt and I'm loving it ! The light weight, very easy handling and a nice, torquey engine make it real-world useful. Yes, I sometimes miss the barking mad power of the Aprilia but I then look at the 63 mpg average fuel consumption while I've got the cruise control set and just smile.

The key is real-world power, you can get the best out of the V85tt without having to be travelling at 3 digits. My Aprilia really came to life over the ton and felt dull and flat around the speed limit. The V85tt lets you know you're riding a proper bike and it's a great experience. I've ridden a Crosstourer and (no offence) found it to be bland and uninvolving, soulless if you would. The Guzzi is most definitely not that.
Talking bollocks since 1965...
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 10:09
Hello and welcome to the forum! 
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 14:58

These people shouldn't be that far away.

Unless you've already seen them
pen-pusher View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pen-pusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 17:20
Thanks.  I know them really well at Teasdales and Andy Walker has offered me a half day test ride, so will be taking him up on that!

Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pen-pusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 17:26
Thanks for this reply!  I think this re-enforces my thoughts that the V85 would meet my needs.  Whilst I can't quite agree that the Crosstourer is bland and uninvolving (I have very much enjoyed riding it for the last three years), I do think something more middleweight is going to suit me better!
Thanks for taking the time to write!
Chris. 
Glawster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glawster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 17:52
Hi Chris,
I've got a V85 and previously had a GS1200LC.  Like the Crosstourer I found the GS physically very big and heavy, particularly when loaded.  I sold the GS and got a Tiger 800, which suited me perfectly, but I couldn't resist a V85 when they came out.  
I did a decent European tour on the V85 last year and plan another in Sept.  It's a bit heaver than the Tiger 800, but much lighter than the GS.  I find it excellent, the only real weakness is the lack of top gear roll on power for overtaking.  When you open the throttle in top at 60-70 not much happens, so you need to plan overtakes accordingly.  Also the front mudguard is hopeless and it's essential to fit a Caponord Guard and fender extender to keep crap off the front.  Nobody yet offers a hugger, but it needs one.  I've never ridden mine 2 up so I can't comment regarding that aspect.  Gearchange is pretty clacky around town, but good at higher speeds.
The sweet spot for cruising seems to be around 85 mph, but the fuel consumption takes a dive above 75.  Off the motorway and into the mountains the chassis is superb.  Great handling and brakes.  Fuel economy of ca 65mpg gives a range of close to 300 miles.
There's a lot to like about this bike!
1970 Guzzi V7 Ambassador
1955 Guzzi Falcone Sport
2021 BMW R1250R
1998 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 18:06
Welcome to Guzziriders
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 07:53
Welcome
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 00:57
Hi and welcomeThumbs Up enjoy
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pen-pusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 13:08
Glawster.  Thanks for this reply!  You sound as if you were in exactly the position I currently am!  I love the Crosstourer but it’s just so heavy especially at low speeds or moving it around the garage etc.  My wife tells me that I am NOT considering changing the bike this year as we are spending available resources on the house....  But next year is only a few months away SmileSmile

Edited by pen-pusher - 09 Aug 2020 at 13:15
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pen-pusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 13:09
Thank you for your kind welcome messages!

Edited by pen-pusher - 09 Aug 2020 at 13:15
Tony G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 08:19
Hello from Peterlee. I've been in Teasdale Motorcycles really friendly. made me a capacino. Smile
I'll get their soon
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 10:22
Andy's ok.

I got my V7 there in 2013..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic