guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V85tt pillion comfort

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V85tt pillion comfort
    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 06:44
Do any of the V85tt owners carry pillions regularly and if so, what are the views of their passengers concerning the comfort of the pillion perch on the tt? Many thanks for any feedback. 
It is critical to the purchase decision for me as if SWMBO is not comfortable, it is I that suffers. Needs to be roomy enough with shuffle room, comfortable but sufficient support et c. She is 5'9" - I won't divulge her other vital statistics although she is not the slip of a girl I once knew, she does not compress the suspension to the same extent that my beer laden belly does.
motopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:51
Only 2nd hand info I'm afraid Chris, but I'm told it's very comfortable on the pillion.
You're probably best asking this question via the V85TT Facebook group, it's very active and helpful.

PS. Do you find that seat 'bolster' digs into your back?
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 06:10
Thanks Pete. 
I don't and never will use Facebook I am afraid, so any info even second hand is useful intelligence. I had no problem with the bolster/hump thing, but then again I only had two short test rides. I am not particularly talk either so perhaps that makes a difference?
NorthumBryan View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthumBryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 09:54
There is plenty of padding on the stock seat to keep a pillion happy. I had a little sit on the rear perch in the dealers where I bought mine and was surprised how much room there was for a passenger (and I'n 6'2").  Stick a top box on and they'll be as happy as Larry. The seats feel very firm at first but get a few miles on and they seem to transform and become supportive, rather than getting uncomfortable.
Talking bollocks since 1965...
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 13:22
Thanks Bryan. My wife has sat on the pillion squad to test the footpeg position etc but as we know all too well from our VStrom, that is no true indication of comfort for longer period on the road! Despite my ample natural padding, (or perhaps because of it) the VStrom whilst initially comfortable is agony after a couple of hours. However many riders have verified that for riders the V85tt seat is comfortable, but few have commented on the pillion situation. So many these days don't seem to carry a pillion at all.
OldJohnboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldJohnboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 13:38
Smile I'm sure you've done a search Chris, but just in case, there are a couple of observations re - V85tt pillions in this link; you'll need to scroll through it.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/514023-1000mls-on-the-V85TT

V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 15:01
Brilliant, thanks John.
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 15:11

Have a word with this bloke he's highly rated.
Ian T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 15:24
He is the best. Had about five or seats done by him over the years. The best
Ian (neophyte juicer under training)
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 16:28
Thanks, but I need to know if the standard seat is any good first!
OldJohnboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldJohnboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 16:38
 Will they not let you take your wife out on a long(ish) test ride, Chris? Seeing as how it is a critical issue re - your purchasing, or not, a V85tt.
Or maybe someone on this site might be able to take her for a spin. (Assuming she would be agreeable to that idea)
Just a thought.
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 18:53
Yes John, you would have thought so wouldn't you. A&D in Denbighshire have never had a problem with me taking her on the pillion for a test ride, but they dont have a V85tt demo bike at the moment. 3D Moto near Dudley have one but say that their insurance doesn't cover them for pillions so she could only sit on it. Nice idea that she could try the back seat on someone else's, but after 40 years of only ever being a pillion with me, she refuses to to go on a bike with any other rider. It's quite strange I know, and it's not like I am anything special as a rider, just careful when I have anyone on the back, it's just a trust thing I suppose. She certainly doesn't mind trying to drive the car from the passenger seat! I keep telling her that anytime she would rather drive than me, I am happy to have a drink and leave her to do the driving but.......
I think I will take the gamble and order one for next spring, might as well keep the VStrom for this coming winter. Only one short two up mini tour planned for Wales in three weeks time and the VStrom is perfectly adequate for that - so long as we stop every 2 hours!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic