guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introduction > Introduce yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 17:23
Nice the V7 Special on Ebay, just like my old one. I do wish I could have kept it.
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 17:38
Originally posted by Ken-Guzzibear Ken-Guzzibear wrote:

That one on E-bay the white one, now me I am not in any way a loop Guzzi guy BUT when we were in Daytona Florida there were a few about that looks ever so much like the V7 Cali the Highway Patrol used inc the single seat of course as Guzzis share components it might be a bitsa ..... 

I'd be willing to bet Ken that it's no bitsa. It's identical to my white V7Special apart from the equipment I've added myself and the seat which is one of at least three variants available for that model.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 17:46
Originally posted by ranton_rambler ranton_rambler wrote:

Originally posted by iansoady iansoady wrote:

I think it might be this one. I confess I know nothing about the model but it looks a bit pricey to me:

That looks like a mixture of bits, but doesn't mean it wouldn't be a decent bike.

Side panels are early type for instance.

Seems a bit expensive to me!

Early side panels and petrol tank too.Four-speed gearbox all standard V700 but the waffle crankcase points to a mid-seventies batch not the more common sixties examples.
If Amboman picks up on this we may get a more definitive answer.

Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 14:03
This is useful for helping to identify what you have or deciding how many models your bike is made up of.

[URL= ][/URL]http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_model_differences.html

v7john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v7john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 21:40
That red high priced one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114266203837 definitely looks like an ex government V7-700 as I described earlier and, despite what the seller says, is very likely a repainted police or public service bike like mine. In that case it's almost certainly a 700 (or was one) as well. Later ones had the waffle crankcases (as does mine) and that fairing shown but not fitted is the police/miltary style. It also has the panniers and leg shields to match. Narrow early style tank, single seat and radio rack. The dome nuts on the front of the crashbars are where the siren/loud speaker mounted. A final giveaway is the speedo binacle with the flat front held on with 4 screws. This is blanking off where the radio equipment would mount. Civilian models had a rounded front. I think it's very nice but it's not a GT. The decals the OP was talking about have had the "850" bit cut off it and are mounted to the tool boxes and not the battery covers where they belong.

As Dave P says the 700s are considerably slower than the 750s although pleasant enough. It possibly may have replacement 750 barrels but even this doesn't do much to the performance as it would still have small valve heads.

I also think it's over priced considering the general price of loopframes at the moment.
1972 V7Sport "The Racing Rhino".
1972 V7 700cc "The Fire Bike".
1954? Superalce
1954 BSA M33 (to be sold)

Read my blog https://racingrhino.wordpress.com/
Binky View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Binky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 13:03
Many thanks to all who responded. Expensive or not, I negotiated and bought it and am very happy with it. I agree with v7John that it its an ex military/police V7 700. A possible clue is that inside the battery covers, the red paint wasn't too well done and theres some blue showing through, a bit like RAF blue in fact. Anyway I really enjoy riding it, it handles well and it aint that slow. Ive had it up to an indicated  120kph (allegedly and on a private road of course) and possibly a little faster but by then the speedo needle was waving around like a demented....err... needle that waves around.  The one fly in the proverbial is the front brake. I'm thinking of fitting the rim brakes of a bicycle, they would probably quadruple the braking force......just joking.  The brake shoe linings are looking well past their sell-by so Ive ordered new from Gutsibits.
As above, the speedo works fine, ish, but the odometer doesn't work at all. Does anyone know of someone who can overhaul and repair these instruments? Its a Veglia Borletti and has 4 warning lights built into the outer dial and reads from 30 to 280kph.
Ride safe.
Keep trying (but not too hard).
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 13:37
How about some photo's then?

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 14:32
There have been several posts here on setting up the front brake.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Binky View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Binky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 19:02
I'm trying, but all the photos I have seem to be way too high a resolution for the forum. I'm not so hot on image manipulation on a computer but I'll keep trying.  Am i right in thinking you have to load images to your file in the account management page but after that how do you get the image into a message? 
Sorry but I'm very new to on-line forums.
Binky View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Binky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 19:09
Heres Hector
BondEquipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BondEquipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 10:44
Originally posted by Binky Binky wrote:

Heres Hector

No he isn't!
Stephen
Black & Gold LM2
+ Other Bikes & Projects!
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 18:58

As it says above, picture file size must not exceed 400 kB, if so needs to be made smaller. Windows 10 paint can do it, there are other programs / methods. The No. pixels X-Y dimensions is not the issue (altho that can cause other problems) it's the KB size of the saved file.

Big smile

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic