guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V7III Rear Shocks Springs Change

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammy2020 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V7III Rear Shocks Springs Change
    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 10:58
Hi guys. I am gonna change the springs on the stock rear suspension of my V7III. Only for cosmetic reasons. The suspension ain't brilliant but I'm learning to live with it. Cannot be bothered with expensive changes.  Can anyone explain the process of changing out the springs for me? It's nowhere on YouTube or any other site I've looked at. Do the springs come off easy or will I need to compress them etc, etc? All help greatly appreciated. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 15:23
Wow, no one offered any advice? You need to compress the springs to remove the clip that holds them on. At least, that is what I have always found with twin shocks. And you should change to another brand, Bitubo, Hagon, Matris, Koni, as the standard shocks are pretty bad.
BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 15:34
I rather suspect nobody answered because there may be few who have bothered trying to change the springs, preferring to junk the old units and fit any of the alternatives you have suggested.

The expression; You can't polish a turd, probably applies here.Wink
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
9fingers View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 16:15
Agree, but someone needed to tell him that. Keep the stock ones in case he ever trades the bike. But get new shocks!
Scott
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 16:34
If the shocks are of the conventional type you need to compress the springs to remove the top collet/collets and the reverse on assembly. Ideally a spring compressor should me used; if not then a strong mate should be invited to participate. A wide vocabulary of profanity is a useful adjunct to a task of this kind as is a good supply of sticking plasters. Good luck!!
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 17:10
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Agree, but someone needed to tell him that. Keep the stock ones in case he ever trades the bike. But get new shocks!
Scott

Could be we were guilty of assuming he would already know that and wouldn't want to insult by stating the obvious? Don't know that refitting the old shocks would add to a later resale value!Wink
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
R100CS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R100CS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 18:10
Yes didn't bother doing something with the springs (and shocks), had them replaced bij Hyperpro's and gave the shocks and springs to someone who liked to use them in the front suspension of an outfit.
The suspension was too weak for me, bottoming out going down on every speedbump. (going slow)
With the Hyperpro's (front and rear) it's a complete new bike.
1st R100CS flattened by a truck
2nd R1150R modified
3rd V7iii GREEN
Cammy2020 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammy2020 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 13:35
Hi all. I changed the springs to red OEM to complete the red / black look of the Carbon V7III. Looked brilliant and was dead easy. You do not have to compress the springs to remove them. Just undo the adjuster and locking ring. I did not even have to remove top bolt. I know the springs are crap but I just wanted to change the aesthetics of the Guzzi. I also got a Norman Hyde exhaust and it sounded great. Sold bike the following week last July and got a Triumph Scrambler 1200XE. Punted that on Thursday last week and got a new Africa Twin Adventure Sports. Ah well.... canny take it with you, life too short. To be fair, I don't think I'd get another Guzzi. Done that... but never say never eh? 
Cammy2020 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammy2020 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 13:38
I still have the stock black springs all boxed up and ready to post. Anyone want them drop me a line. Going cheap. They are perfect. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic