guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gear change problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote paulrob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gear change problem
    Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 18:23
Hi Guys. I have spent 2 years restoring, rebuilding & mildly customising a V50 mk 2. It has been largely enjoyable, but there have been a few challenges.

Anyway, the bike is back together, running ok & past its MOT. There is however an issue with the gearchange. Going up the gearbox is fine if a little notchy, however the lever does not seem to return to its normal position on downchanges. This makes it extremely difficult to ride smoothly. I suspect its the selector spring that is weak. This will probably mean a full strip down to repair.

Unless anyone can suggest an alternative. here's hoping Cry
chrispy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrispy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 19:35
Hi 
I had same problem a few days ago ,I reckon the selector spring is not located on the eccentric bolt 
on the back plate of the gearbox next to the clutch arm ,you could try taking the swinging arm off and removing the eccentric bolt with its lock nut ,you should be able to see the spring through the removed bolt hole,if you move the gear pedal about to the centre of the hole then screw the bolt back in you may just get it too click back in place ,pedal should spring both directions then.
I removed my gearbox to do the same as I also had a leaking oil seal on the mainshaft caused by marks on the inner bush.
here is my bike 2 days ago
chrispy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrispy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 19:47
Might save you having to take the Gearbox out ,
Heres another picture of the bolt and lock nut next to the selector arm

paulrob100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote paulrob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 20:16
thanks Chrispy, has to be worth a try before taking the box out. What can possibly go wrong ? !!
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 11:51
Have you checked that all joints are free? Also, on my V50 the gear lever runs very close to the exhaust pipe. It's possible that it's fouling so you're not quite getting the full travel so it doesn't want to return.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulrob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 12:35
Thanks Ian. I have checked that the lever moved freely, it was ok. 

I managed to get to the eccentric bolt by taking off the battery tray. The spring was in place on the bolt but it is quite weak. I did adjust the bolt to give a bit more resistance on the downshift. Ill need to take it out for a ride.

I do however think that the spring will need changing, which is a gearbox out job. Really annoying as the spring only costs £6 & the box was on the bench for almost a year after the stripdown Cry
Andyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 18:15
Would it be possible to do a bodge and somehow have an external spring on the lever or mechanism pulling the lever back to centre??
AndyB
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 20:16
Those sprongs usually break rather than become weak.

Too late now, but general advice is, if the box is out, change that spring.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulrob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 20:57
Thanks Andy, but the gear selector mechanism is inside the box & the selector movement from the pedal is outside so it wouldn't work. Nice idea .

Thanks Brian. Hindsight is a wonderful thing Big smile
Andyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 07:50
It was a get you home bodge on some bikes - two bungees centering the gear lever which then returned the internal mechanism to where it should be between changes.
AndyB
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 18:32
Me i never get into a gearbox any issues it is a call to Nigel at NBS ....he is so good at what he does and so reasonable on pricing never ever gone into a gearbox ..... just not worth my time and the head banging ..... I realise some believe it fun or a challenge ..... but each to their own never have an issue sorting the elektrikery BUT when it came to a complete rewire of the 76 V1000 I priced the retail cost of coloured wire, the connectors , fitments and fittings then got a quote from Towzer ...he did a fantastic job and for the total cost of not much more than the retail cost of all the cable, connectors bits and bobe, of which there are many , upgraded fuses and relays along with new headlamp , spot lights, led bulbs extra front and rear lights, solid state regulator, kept Bosch rectifier ..... re furbished the alternator and starter .... for me no time used up ... no hassle .... 
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic