guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V50 starting probs.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evanton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V50 starting probs.
    Posted: 26 May 2020 at 21:23
hi folks, I'm reviving a V50 Mk11 that's been dormant for many years. Its all original Inc coils, plugs(possibly) caps and leads. Carb seals were done by former owner. New battery and fresh fuel. Am I expecting too much? It starts but then stops and won't re-start. Spark looks weak to me. Do I need to refresh the ignition system? 
Also the clutch is seized. I've read about the white spirit trick but just how much to put in.. egg cup, coffee mug? Thanks. 
Motty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 21:49
How long does it run for?
I would be taking the carburettors off and giving them a good buff up, paying particular attention to the jets and other orifices

It’s more fun to try to ride a slow bike fast .....
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 22:23
White spirit trick, a litre.
But if the plate has rusted onto the flywheel, it might not help.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
David_M View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 02:19
I had a rusted on clutch plate problem after my V50 had to stand outside under a cover for some months due to my inability to ride it after a medical problem.
I removed the rubber plug which allows access to the timing marks and rotated the crank until I could see the clutch plate through a convenient hole in the pressed steel cover.
I pulled in the clutch lever to back off the pressure plate and held it in position with a cable tie.
I slid a sharp chisel in against the face of the flywheel and gave it a gentle tap with the flat of my hand.
The plate snapped off the flywheel.
I have ridden many miles since with no ill effects.
David_M
LM V, V50 iii
Evanton View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evanton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 22:31
This worked a treat. I used a sharpened screwdriver. 
Evanton View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evanton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 22:36
I thought I'd better check the air filter to make sure there were no mousies nests. All seemed ok and while I had the whole thing out I lifted the battery tray and dealt with that. A coat of Kurust then Hammerite. Refitting the air box, a right fiddle. I washed the filter in white spirit as it was pretty clean. Noticed one of the choke pumps had no cable clearance so dealt with that so hopefully it will start and then start again. That was the problem. It would start, then not re-start. 
Evanton View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evanton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 11:25
Now this morning it won't start at all. Spark ok, plugs not filthy or wet. The odd chuff or pop if I open the throttle a bit. Now the battery is on charge. Its on the naughty step. 
 Has to be carbs? 
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 14:29
Are you certain the air filter had dried completely before refitting?
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
AdrianW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 14:30
If you haven't taken them off yet I would, as you suggest, have a look in the carbs.. You may or may not need to invest in gasket sets. I did and only actually needed a couple of small "O" rings from them so far..

I was very rude about the VHBZ carbs when I first had my V35II but I've since (with good advice from here) been through them. A quick 5 miles test run the other day had the plugs looking a half decent colour for the first time in  my ownership..

A good clean would be a good starting point, they look a bit odd but are pretty easy to take apart..

Cheers,
Adrian
Bristol UK
Evanton View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evanton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 18:36
I've had the battery on charge all day and she started just now. And re-started. So I guess the battery has to be tip top. Its brand new. That or the white spirit in th air filter dried out! Might go for a test ride after supper. It'll be the first time. Fingers crossed. 
Richard Hyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 19:07
Like a lot of electronic ignition bikes and cars , there has to be a decent voltage during cranking available to the ignition modules for them to work.
Usually above 10.5v but sometimes nearer 11v.
Evanton View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evanton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 19:10
That's very useful info. Its still got the original everything, coils, plugs, cable caps and all other electrics. I'd like to keep it that way but if any recommendations for improvements in voltage transmission I'd be grateful. I've cleaned the Earth and put Vaseline on it. 
Richard Hyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 19:20
Just check the charging voltage at the battery , around 14.2 is a good figure. 
That way you know when you're riding the battery is kept healthy.
You've done the earth so good move.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic