guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

electronic ignition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tr500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: electronic ignition
    Posted: 19 May 2020 at 19:48
HI,
I have a 1989 v35 imola mk11 which has the points ignition, but i am thinking that an electronic
system would be better. Over the months that i have owned this bike and read about the ignition changing from points to electronic and back again due to flats spots i'm wondering if there is now a new
electronic system that has overcome this problem and if anyone is using it. If there is anyone who has a new system can give any information i would appreciate any feedback.
thanks in advance.
regards
keith

Fond memories is better than wishful thinking
AdrianW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 14:37
Hi Keith,
I usually work on the "if it ain't broke..." principle. My 1982 V35II has points and to be honest I do not intend to change that unless forced to.
If you have problems with a flat spot then I would imagine that carburation may be the cause. I would have thought that if points had been troublesome Guzzi would have changed things again by 1989..
Electronic ignition is fine but in my view something else to go wrong. After the Winter my V35 started on one cylinder only..  A quick wipe with a cloth through the points and back to two cylinders - try that with a black box of some kind....

Other opinions will vary...

Cheers,
Adrian
Bristol UK
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 16:11
What you have read about is the Bosch system fitted to the earlier V50s. They changed to points as it worked better.
I very much doubt any electronic system would give a noticable benefit.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 18:52
Isn't there a bit of a trick you can do with taking a bit off the slides which has cured the flat spot for some peeps – altho of course if you take off too much you've then bu99ered it .. LOL

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 22:18
Yes, there was, but I can't rmember which way. Was it removing part of the cut out to make the mixture weaker, or a bit off the remainder to make it richer. I know it was only a smigeon, couple of file strokes.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 09:32
Have to agree about points being very reliable when well maintained however I can see the lure of fit and forget electronic ignition. I`ve had both types on the three small blocks I`ve owned and have to say that if a problem arises then points are easier to diagnose whereas electronic is a minefield for me, with little chance of a roadside repair.
The general recommendation for the small blocks is the Dyna S system, but in my case it`s just an expense too far for no gain apart from no maintenance.

CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Tr500 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tr500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 19:29
Thank you all for your advice which i shall take and leave well alone.

Fond memories is better than wishful thinking
Chabs View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chabs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 16:11
I've just revived a 1981 v50ii. Mice ate most of the wiring as she was sat for 17 yrs. I replaced all the wiring with a motogadget blue m unit, threw some new 28mm carbs, new regulator. And a sasche electronic ignition ..
Its was very simpler to install the ingnition unit, and sveralmcurve settings.. today I put fuel in the carbs, started first time, ignition found her beat and she ticks over lovely. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic