guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine paint.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dickthebass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine paint.
    Posted: 17 May 2020 at 12:11
The paint is just starting to peel on my 20 year old, California Special 1100, from the front of the engine, front of the sump, and the bevel box.
Just wanting to touch things up, before it gets really bad, but does anybody know what the correct colour paint is, and also where to get it from.??
Any help will be very much appreciated.
Grey / alloy sort of colour.

Edited by Dickthebass - 17 May 2020 at 17:47
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 12:24
Pardon my ignorance, but what colour are you trying to match? Is it silver? Some cases on some Guzzi models (I don't have a knowledge of which) were painted black.

Either way, this is a topic that comes up in another Guzzi-related forum quite frequently, and the most common answer there seems to be the paints (VHT) which you can get in Halfords, espec. the Sperex (?) VHT paints - which you need to 'cure' by running the engine hot after application. Don't know how you 'cure' the bevel box area.

Edited by Barry - 17 May 2020 at 12:38
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 12:35
Some had that black crackle finish paint, no idea how you would match that.

But you will find oxidation on the surface where it needs touching up. This must be fully removed before attempting any more paintwork.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 12:50
Gotta pic?
Dickthebass View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dickthebass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 17:46
Yeah sorry, forgot to mention that, it’s a silver/ grey / alloy sort of colour.
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dickthebass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 17:53
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dickthebass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 18:00
Yes there is that oxidisation under the paint, I just hope I can get a good match just to touch up, without having to buy 30 different shades before I find one that matches, or end up doing the whole bloody engine.
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 19:26
I doubt that you'll find 30 different shades (of silver) in VHT paints - your choices in that sort of paint are usually fairly binary. 

Again, no idea how you 'cure' the VHT paint for bevel box touch-ups, but as others have said (and, surely, with all paint work, cleaning and prep are key).
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 22:10
Many have used Hammerite smooth silver. It doesn't get that hot.
Brian.

Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dickthebass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 22:20
Cheers for your help Brian, i'm going to have to leave it for a while i think, 
i tried to get into Halfords today, could not get through the front door,  not allowed in the shop, everything has to be ordered online.
I'll leave it till I can see what i'm getting.
Cheers mate.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 22:37
Most hardware stores are open, and will stock it. Wickes are too.
Brian.

Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 23:21
The cases can be painted with Hammerite silver smooth, but need to clean them get any corrosion off Frosts metal ready and marine clean is brilliant stuff, for the actual cylinders you need the silver satin VHT paint, i find silver smooth hammerite brushed on and does not leave brush marks takes 24 hrs to dry but once in use it is extremely durable IF you have the black crinkle finish the Harley engine paint works but as a touch up go over the black with hammerite satin smooth ....... ......if you have the engine out then look at the Frosts stuff marine clean - metal ready the secret is in the prep ..... they do a range of colours ...hope this helps
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Nelbert View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 10:20
VHT does a black crackle engine paintWink
borderer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 10:29
Frosts is a good paint supplier. (They do a good crackle black as well) VHT silver is a bit bright and can be cured using a hot air gun. Alloy wheel paint is tough and a good match as is hammerite smooth silver. both will withstand engine temperatures easily.
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 12:15
I use Frosts too

For cases Hammerite Silver Smooth or Black Satin works well as long as it is cleaned
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic