guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > General Electrical issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No charge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 21:02
Hi Richard yes the charge light comes on when I Earth the wire .
Richard Hyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 21:07
Ok good.
If you now touch the terminal wire onto its correct terminal with the brush connected , the volts should go through your newly purchased rotor and out the other brush to earth 
And the light come on again.
Try that.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 12:42

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 12:47
Quote 1982 sp no charge

Just had a thought – what's the bike doing while there's no charging? For example, you do know that it won't charge while engine is idling? Has to be at least 2,000 rpm I think

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Robert View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 18:44
Hi Richard , sorry I haven’t been back to you. I followed your instructions to flash my new rotor - I originally did this by running a wire from the + battery terminal & touching the DF terminal for a second when I fitted it.
I ran the engine after my own flashing & your instructions but alas still no charge 🙁
Robert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 18:52
No problem Robert, 
On the last instruction, you had established 12volts to the wire and the battery light on when this wire earthed.

I then think you were going to try reconnecting that wire to the top brush and , with ignition on of course , did the battery light come on then?

This is checking that side of the charging,  if the light comes on with this reconnected , then you know the 12volts are going through the new brush and new rotor,  out through the other lower brush and down to ezrth.

Just try this first please.
Sorry a bit laborious but stage by stage your establishing things.
Robert View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 18:54
Hi Mike, bike at idle 0.6 volts and only rises to 4 volts when reved.

Robert View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 19:00
Yes reconnecting the DF wire lit the charge light - but even before your instructions the charge light was lit .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 19:23
Ok ,
You've established that the "exciter"side of the charging circuit is working , with the red light on and new brushes and new rotor. 

What we have now to work through is the secondary side,  in other words the stator upwards.

3 yellow wires from the stator terminal block up to the rectifier board, have you established continuity between each end of each yellow wire?

I'm pretty sure you've established resistance checks at the stator 3 terminals in a previous post.

If you get say X ohms between 2 yellows , when you reconnect the 3 yellows , do you get the same X ohms at the rectifier end of those yellows? 
Robert View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 19:37
Hi Richard, 0.7 ohms at three spades on stator terminals & same at the yellow wires on the rectifier end.
I’m very grateful for all your help and there’s a bottle of 12yr old single malt in it if you cane solve this 👍
R

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 19:52
Haha nice !

Ok moving on upwards now

I think you've bought a new rectifier board somewhere in earlier posts. 

On this board the 3 yellows go in a vertical line

The wire going down to the regulator is a bit lower down along with the wire from the battery light and at the top is a red output going to the battery. 

One side of this board is earthed,  be careful and ensure earth is good , my earth went to one of the engine screws. 

I'm going from memory here!

Check the quality of your earth if not done already .

I think a lot of people run secondary earth wires from the rectifier board right back  to the battery
And a secondary red lead from that big monster spade at the top back to the positive battery 

This shows your connections 

Edited by Richard Hyatt - 17 May 2020 at 19:56
Robert View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 20:03
Yes all connections present & correct & continuity good with each one .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 20:16
Hmmm

Ok , red light on at the ignition on stage

All connections good

Above 2000rpm before charge kicks in someone else mentioned.

Just a thought , I know it's awkward but can you check if there's any voltage at the big spade on the top of rectifier board B+, should be good 12 volts from battery , but this is the route the rectifier output charges the battery.

Have you got your earth wire from the rectifier board to the engine or battery?

Edited by Richard Hyatt - 17 May 2020 at 20:19

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 20:40
Robert View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 21:08
12.6 volts at B+ on rectifier also I have fitted an extra earth from bottom half of the rectifier.
As I have almost no volts from the three yellow wires from the stator does that not mean the rectifier has nothing to rectify. 
I had the rotor & stator checked by West Country windings and they gave the stator a clean bill of health, as this is the only component that has not been renewed am I to assume perhaps this has been wrongly assessed, it is the only part of the chain left.
R
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic