guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Out and About > Good Roads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Texas Roads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexMexStrada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Texas Roads
    Posted: 10 May 2020 at 01:41
When it comes to Texas, everybody focuses on the Three Twister Sisters (TX 335,336,337) loop in the Central Texas Hill Country (Leakey, TX is the center point of that loop). While I absolutely love the Sisters as well, FM 170 west of Terlingua, TX (just west of Big Bend National Park) is, in my humble opinion, the best road in the State. Amazing scenery, rapid elevation changes, tight twists, blind crests, and an amazing flow that is just a joy to ride. There are great roads all around that part of the state, so it is definitely worth the trip, with FM 170 the crown jewel of the lot.  
TexMexStrada
2018 V7III Stone
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 18:34
Bet a Guzzi eats those roads way better than a Harley
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
-HJB- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -HJB- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 18:49
TexMexStrada View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexMexStrada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 00:29
Originally posted by Ken-Guzzibear Ken-Guzzibear wrote:

Bet a Guzzi eats those roads way better than a Harley

The significantly reduced weight surely helps. Not all Harley's handle poorly (the Fat Bob & Roadster are actually quite decent), but, with some good rubber and a few tweaks the V7III is a blast on those curves. 
TexMexStrada
2018 V7III Stone
barko1 View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 05:30
Ridden that road and all around there many times, but never on a Guzzi Cry

This is the road between my house and the nearest gas station.
Take the Scenic Route Through Colorado National Monument | OutThere Colorado
Honda, Triumph, Ducati, MG 1200
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 07:29
Originally posted by barko1 barko1 wrote:

This is the road between my house and the nearest gas station.
Take the Scenic Route Through Colorado National Monument | OutThere Colorado

I cannot see your photo Barko, but wish I had known about the Colorado National Monument road back when I wss passing.  I stayed a couple days in Melrose CO to see the Black Canyon then drove straight to Torrey for a stopover then on to Tropic UT (to see Bryce Canyon again). I will have driven straight pass the Colorado Monument. I confess I  only had eyes for Torrey & Tropic since Hwy 24 / 12 is also something special that I'd discovered once a few years before.

Shame I was in a rental Ford Fusion (2016).

Tony
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 07:46

Hwy 24/12

A good sign....

Tony
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 07:56
Is that 25 mph a challenge? LOL
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
barko1 View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 13:54
Well I found a pic but have struggled to resize it.  UT 12/24 may be the best in the country buy really there are so many good one. The road to the Basin in Big Bend is also among my favorites and today I'm taking CO 141 another beauty.  Have to go pick up the oil pan for the Guzzi which has a buggered drain plug, I'll drive my competent and pleasant, but less exciting, Honda 500x.
barko1 View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 13:55
Well then picture failed so just imagine how nice it is }:
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 20:19
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Is that 25 mph a challenge? LOL

Brian, maybe in a F-250 Super Duty.Wink

In seriousness,  this stretch of the road twists and turns because it is built along the full width of a narrow ridge - if you leave the road at all there's s 45⁰ rocky slope down on either side.

I don't have a good photo because it wasn't a place you could reasonably stop or pull over but this close up of my earlier pic gives some idea

Tony

TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 20:26

Well then picture failed so just imagine how nice it is }:

It took me several attempts to nail it.  I used to struggle with the photo Uploading tool because I used to overlook the "Ok" button on the right.  Resizing my original file never worked well for me either until my photo app included "Resize" as a menu item. In my experience a picture of about 1 megapixels is a suitable size - - commonly that's a picture size 1200 pixels on the long side.  Better luck next time.

Tony
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 20:30

Have to go pick up the oil pan for the Guzzi which has a buggered drain plug.

That's a coincidence, my Guzzi got a new oil pan in January for same reason, it was being serviced by a Guzzi dealer and the workshop stripped the drain thread. Thanks guys, way to go!  Shocked

Tony
barko1 View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 23:48
Another resize attempt, part of my ride yesterday, on a Honda, retrieving my fixed 1200s oil pan.

barko1 View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 23:58
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic