guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cutting tank open to cure leak.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 07:01
Thanks Brian,
I'll bear that in mind for once things get back to normal (whenever that is!)

Cheers,
Adrian
Bristol UK
Jools View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 15:50
I've repaired fuel tanks using both a MIG welder and tinmans solder, depending on the nature of the original problem. Both work perfectly well. Except for those instances where a tank has not been in use for several years, fill the tank full with water before even thinking of bringing a welder or flame anywhere near it!!!

MIG welding will cause the metal to shrink in the immediate vicinity of the weld, but not enough to cause a problem on the underside of a tank. Hydrogen embrittlement subsequently has never proved a problem for me.

Vibration should not be a problem - if your tank is vibrating, then it isn't mounted properly!
Jools

V1000G5
1972 T150V
1961 Royal Enfield Constellation
1971 Suzuki ACC50
erm... 1963 Philips Panda
(and other assorted detritus)
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 15:58
The other way of making a tank safe is to place it over the end of a car exhaust pipe (into the filler) and leave it with engine running until the tank is hot.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 17:12
An empty tank should always be treated as notionally full.
Jools View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 18:15
Always bear in mind that an empty tank is far more dangerous than a full one - the gas vapour within it is highly explosive. 

I'm sure we've all seen the old chemistry lesson demo where a plastic bottle of oxygen/hydrogen is ignited. Just imagine that with an empty 5 gallon fuel tank.....
Jools

V1000G5
1972 T150V
1961 Royal Enfield Constellation
1971 Suzuki ACC50
erm... 1963 Philips Panda
(and other assorted detritus)
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 18:22
Originally posted by Jools Jools wrote:

I've repaired fuel tanks using both a MIG welder and tinmans solder, depending on the nature of the original problem. Both work perfectly well. Except for those instances where a tank has not been in use for several years, fill the tank full with water before even thinking of bringing a welder or flame anywhere near it!!!

MIG welding will cause the metal to shrink in the immediate vicinity of the weld, but not enough to cause a problem on the underside of a tank. Hydrogen embrittlement subsequently has never proved a problem for me.

Vibration should not be a problem - if your tank is vibrating, then it isn't mounted properly!

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 18:44
At the moment, the tank is laying on its side, supported at each end, with a gallon of petrol in it. It must be such a tiny leak, I'll leave it overnight.
Glad to see the vote of confidence for welding, thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 20:37
After 30 plus hours, there is the tiniest smear of fuel around the tank badge rear mounting hole, it must have been leaking for years. I'll give the hole a good clean and fill it with the Pro Seal. Badge will have to be glued on at the back. Many thanks for all the tips.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 20:07
Pro seal epoxy putty as recommended by George S seams to have cured the leak. Went food shopping on the Cali today and its all good regarding petrol. Thanks to all the help, much appreciated
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 21:12
nice one

The Older i Get, The Better I Was
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic