guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introduction > Introduce yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Guzzi rider in NZ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1TALI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Guzzi rider in NZ
    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 20:17
Hi all, I'm a 59yr old rider getting back into the saddle. I've always had twins, airhead beemers (got my R100/7 when I was 19 and completed 2 trips around Australia). I've had CX 500 and CX 650 Hondas (V twins), CB 900, Yamaha 750, Suzuki GS 850, and finally have purchased a brand new Eldorado California 1400. It's an awesome machine that really suits my riding style. Shame I'm currently in isolation with my new Guzzi, the government has us all essentially "locked down" for four weeks in NZ right now due to COVID-19.
I have a few questions for those Guzzi riders who may be in the know:

1. What is the best fuel to run in these Italian beasts, 95 or even a higher octane? 

2. A lack of centre stand is doing my head in!  Is it possible to have one fitted, even an aftermarket one? If not, what brand of stand or lifter is the best? I love to service my own bikes, always have.

3. I've only got the little black (confusing) booklet that came under the seat. Pretty useless, I've heard there is a more comprehensive manual available that explains all the features and characteristics, allowing the rider to use the bike to its full potential. All the electronic wizardry has me just a tad confused - but I'm a fast learner and can read and follow any instructions to the letter. No idea ho to engage cruise control, and it's bloody confusing even starting the engine! You have to squeeze the clutch, engage the brakes, push in this button and then that button. Once all I had to do was put the key in ignition, turn it - and hit that start button....

Thanks in advance ladies and gents, keep on riding!

Common sense is so rare today that it should be considered a super power.
Ben. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 20:55
Welcome, from another old ¨airhead,¨ I´m sure you´ll  find this forum to be exactly what you need.
Hope you get the chance to ride it before too long.
sardineone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sardineone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 21:38
Welcome to the board!  You are like me then?  When people ask where do I get my Guzzi worked on, I say "my garage'. Wink   I had a Suzuki GS750E years ago BTW.

Edited by sardineone - 25 Mar 2020 at 21:44
George

One owner 86' Lemans 1000 (member of the family) / BMW R1200ST (current work horse)

You are what you have ridden!
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 08:21
Hello and welcome. There are some 1400 owners here, I'm sure, so they'll be able to address your model-specific questions.
1TALI View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1TALI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 20:01
And I had a Suzuki GS 850 for awhile, I loved it, smooth and a shaft drive. I'll have to dig out some old colour photos from my biking days in the 80's, your pic got me motivated!
1TALI View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1TALI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 20:06
Thanks Ben, I was considering buying another old Beemer, a restored 75/5, but got talked out of it by my mate who said that the brakes, motor, etc were pretty inadequate for today's standards. Once I hopped onto the 1400 Guzzi I was hooked at once. It certainly has a personality all its own like any large twin.The electronics have me baffled, all these switches etc. Can be confusing for an old timer who cut his teeth on early Jap and then moved on to BMW in the early 80's. No electronic wizardry then, just a stop and start button etc. 
sardineone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sardineone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 20:32
On the subject of old tech, I think my LeMans is one of the last doomsday machines of the 80's.  In the event of the unthinkable EMF pulse nuclear weapon being used all electronics are supposed to be caput!  My LeMans still has points ignition, the stock relay voltage regulator and even a headlight on/off switch! Nuke  With that said, it is very well developed old tech and is nearly as fast as my '06 BMW on curvy backroads. Smile

Edited by sardineone - 26 Mar 2020 at 21:22
George

One owner 86' Lemans 1000 (member of the family) / BMW R1200ST (current work horse)

You are what you have ridden!
Tribute Guzzi View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribute Guzzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 23:05
welcome to the board,I too just purchased a Guzzi v7 carbon brand new have not pick it up yet.
here is a link https://www.manualslib.com/m/moto+guzzi+california.html  to the manuals you will need,also the octane is 91 and up.
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 08:33
Welcome. two thirds of my stable has no key whatsoever, but an infinitely more complicated starting procedure: Oil on, petrol, tickle carb, find compression, ease over, TDC Jump repeat as required, get friend to push etc.
AdrianW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 09:11
Welcome .. Hope things are ok there in NZ..

Apart from lights & horn half of my bikes don't  even need a battery ..  As Jerry says starting them is a little more haphazard than a new Guzzi.....

Have fun!

Adrian
Bristol UK
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 18:01
And presumably an unsuccessful bike thief could be identified the next day due to hobbling around on crutches because of the kick-back Big smile

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 19:57
Using a starting handle on my Moggy Thou was a bugger if you got it wrong.

Had strong words with that car on occasions.
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 10:57
Surprisingly easy on an old 5litre six cylinder Bedford recovery truck. But very low compression designed to run on post war low octane petrol I expect. Made valve clearance adjustment much easier than on a modern Guzzi with no kickstart.
Navy Boy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Navy Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 02:35
I've run my 1200 Sport, V7 Stornello and now V85TT on 95 Octane and they've all been fine.  I'll get around to trying the V85 on higher octane when the lockdown finishes (NPD down here in Blenheim do a 100+ Octane fuel which I've try) but thus far 95 seems to work just fine.
NB - V85TT
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 08:14
Experiences here suggest using high octane fuel on the V7 doesn't help.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic