guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > CARC models
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Norge stalled and wont start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Norge stalled and wont start
    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 14:25
My 2013 V7 has a steel tank.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 11:15
We had a long discussion on this, the tank is made of Nylon, and is supposed to be impervious to ethanol below about 30degrees.
Mine has certainly got bigger, but I have never used any high content Ethanol. I knowGuzzi claimed the Norge would not be affected, but something is doing it. Don't know if the V7 small block tanks were also made of Nylon, but they have now all been replaced with steel tanks.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:12
Triumph Tiger 955i plastic tanks used to expand just the same before the introduction of ethanol, so I think yet again it's getting the blame for something that's not its fault. Give a dog a bad name......
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Paschal View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paschal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 22:53
Good Point Brian.
Thanks
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 22:27
Your tank problem is not uncommon. It's thought that Ethanol has the effect of making the tank expand a little. I had the same problem.
My "fix" was to elongate the hole in the back end of the tank by about 6mm.

If the fuel pipes were still in place with those little clips round them, then you can be sure you still had the original filter.
Brian.

Paschal View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paschal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 21:54
Brian, Borderer,
It was indeed the fuel filter and the tip for diagnosis by listening to what's going on in the tank is a good one.  The fix was easy, I had to shop around to find hose clips that were small enough (thanks Brian) but after that the most difficult part was getting the tank to go back in.  I didnt have a problem disconnecting the fuel supply (tank to injectors) pipe.  I turned the engine over a few times with the electrical supply to the fuel pump disconnected first and tried undoing the connector - without success - went to bed and next day turned it over a few times and tried again (pump still electrically disconnected) and it came away easily.  (How can it hold pressure with a hole in the filter?) In the reassembly I had a bit of trouble getting the tank back in, getting it to go forward far enough to get correct alignment for the bolt at the rear of the tank was a bit troublesome.  Another Guzzi rider suggested that the tank might have been swollen but Im not sure if that is the reason or whether its just a very tight fit.  Its all back and running again now thankfully - just in time for our lockdown ! - which is a price I'm really willing to pay to avoid swamping our health service.   Anyway thanks for your help.  I hope this post can be useful for A N Other.  I dont know if the P.O. ever changed the fuel filter but if not it's been in there 13 years which I suppose puts the rights and wrongs of the choice of filter into perspective.  I'm really looking forward to getting out for a run on it but for now it look like time to clean and polish.  Stay safe! And thanks again !

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 20:49
Mahle customer services told me that filter was not intended for use with petrol over 10 years ago. It was made for use with diesel.
Brian.

borderer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 18:55
Imagine, fitting a fuel filter that melts in petrol. Now why might that not be a good idea???
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 09:37
The filter fitted is Mahle KL 150, should be replaced with the KL145. Or UFI 3176000. Or any equivalent.

And don't use the worm drive jubilee clips on the pipes, they just don't work on the small diameter.
Use this type (of the right diameter).
Brian.

borderer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 08:59
I would guess that its a fuel filter failure, I had this happen to me once on a griso, the bike was running fine and it just suddenly cut out, plenty fuel, good sparks but plastic section of filter had melted …… no fuel to pump
At least its an easy fix. just make sure you replace with metal filter
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 22:29
When you turn on the ignition, do you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds?

Assuming you do, open the tank filler and look inside as best you can when you then turn on the ignition. Can you see or hear fuel swishing in the tank?

If the fuel pump isn't running then there is possibly a relay problem, but you do need to check for sparks, just the outer plugs will do.

The second bit is to do with the fuel filter in the tank and associated pipes. It's possible that the fuel filter may have started to fall apart if it is the original half plastic type. Also possible that a pipe has come adrift inside the tank.

Not a good start for you though.
Brian.

Paschal View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paschal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 22:02
Hi Guys,
My lovely new to me 2007 Norge stalled today while driving at about 60 kmh, just at the point where I was going to accelerate and now it will not start.  It turns over fine but wont fire.  It has fuel in the tank which I can hear sloshing, fuel gauge says it about half full.  Any ideas out there about what can suddenly fail ?  It was running perfectly.  I havent yet been able to check for spark.  Is it enough to check at the outer spark plugs or do I need to check the inner ones too?  Any help appreciated. Thanks for reading it.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic