guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Oil
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil preferences for LeMans 1000

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AkDug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil preferences for LeMans 1000
    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 00:44
Any recommendations for motor oil in LeMans 1000?
sardineone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sardineone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 17:39
Oh boy, an oil preference!  I've used Mobil One 15W/50 in my Lemans 1000 since the 4,000 mile mark.  It is still running well at nearly 58k miles with no engine problems save oil weeping from a head gasket that I replaced.  The Mobil One 15W/50 is reasonably priced at Walmart in 5qt jugs and still has the zinc recommended for most motorcycles. Wink
George

One owner 86' Lemans 1000 (member of the family) / BMW R1200ST (current work horse)

You are what you have ridden!
BondEquipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BondEquipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 18:39
Morris 20/50 for me but you are going to get as many opinions as people on the group!!
Stephen
Black & Gold LM2
+ Other Bikes & Projects!
Rollo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 07:36
I think Guzziology has some advice on the standard of oil required. It is important to select an oil which is suitable for the older design of the valve train. I understand newer formulations of oil which have been made with catalytic converters in mind aren't as suitable. I am currently using Silkolene Super 4 10/40 but am sure there are many other suitable oils. 
David_M View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 01:31
Millers Classic 20w50 for both my Lemon and V50.
Don't know if it is available in your part of the world.
David_M
LM V, V50 iii
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 18:10
The 70's bikes work fine on 20/50 oil, but for best advice and a discount for Guzziriders contact opie oils they have a forum presence look on the Oilman thread

The Older i Get, The Better I Was
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic