guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Out and About > Guzzisti go touring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nordkapp, for those with holiday limits.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motomike1400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nordkapp, for those with holiday limits.
    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 11:15
I've got myself involved in a group ride to visit Nordkapp, top of Norway. 
We will be at Nordkapp on 10th July 2020.
It is an awful long way to do as a return trip in the 2 weeks most people are limited to. To get round this, it's one way. Now, to avoid a stockpile of abandoned bikes there, we have a cunning plan🤔
A large custom made trailer is being constructed, to carry 12 bikes and gear.
A group of 12 ride north, to arrive there on the 10th July, then ride down to Alta. On the 11th the bikes are loaded onto the trailer. The trailer will have arrived there carrying 12 bikes from the UK, those riders having flown out. That group then the the ride south and home. The north group fly home from Alta via Oslo to Manchester, or whatever suits.
So far, there are 9 confirmed north bound, and I think 6 south bound.
Trailer cost is £365… less than the cost of petrol that'd be used. Flights are around £200 mark.
If interested, drop me a line. 😀
V7 Classic. 1800 Touring Goldwing. Honda Africa Twin 1000. Kawa Z900RS Cafe. SWM300RS. Folding moped thingy.
Though these may change🤔
Now thinking less is more🤔
Richard Hyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 13:26
Hi there ,
I can only say , good for you , enjoy . It is a spectacular place.

I rode my 250 MZ up there from Helsinki along the Russian border , to the nordkapp and then back down to Bergen in 1971.

You will feel very pleased with yourself, even with the road improvements in the intervening years. Be careful and get your hotels booked quickly with a group your size.
motomike1400 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motomike1400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 19:25
Originally posted by Richard Hyatt Richard Hyatt wrote:

Hi there ,
I can only say , good for you , enjoy . It is a spectacular place.

I rode my 250 MZ up there from Helsinki along the Russian border , to the nordkapp and then back down to Bergen in 1971.

You will feel very pleased with yourself, even with the road improvements in the intervening years. Be careful and get your hotels booked quickly with a group your size.

Hi. Yep, something to look forward to. Accommodation may have to be split between hotels, lodges, camping. As long as each nightly destination is reached by all and set off time next day is the same, we should hopefully be ok. Some are happy to camp, others wouldn't consider it an option. I always take my camping gear and decide on a daily basis, but appreciate that's not likely to be so easy in this scenario.
I'm doing this trip on Honda Africa Twin...my V7 is just too small for such a trip...and I no longer have the 1400 Cali😭. I believe there is an East Yorkshire rider on a Norge, which is apt🙂
By the way, respect is due to your MZ250! From what I recall, that was more roomy than my V7…though a little less hp. It's the seat to let angle that gets to my hip joint that's the problem to me.

Edited by motomike1400 - 05 Jan 2020 at 19:30
V7 Classic. 1800 Touring Goldwing. Honda Africa Twin 1000. Kawa Z900RS Cafe. SWM300RS. Folding moped thingy.
Though these may change🤔

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 20:36
There are plenty of camp sites and "huttas" to choose from.

The MZ ran on 32:1 two stroke ratio and each night syphoning a bit from the tank to cook my tea made a thick black soot on the Billy!  Ha fun
And of course every evening ritual was poking clear the cylinder fins of mud.
There was barely any tarmac from Helsinki to the nordkapp and back to Bergen,  just small patches. 2400 miles round trip.
Do , though , check your fuel range as in between towns , there's not much about in the way of petrol.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 21:25
Can't help but see the irony here.
Years ago a 250 was well up to the job, but now a 750 is too small. Just the way the world has gone.

I went all over southern Scandinavia on my 750 Norton Commando, but in those days it was considered a superbike.

My memories of Norway, skies black with four-engined mosquitos in the valleys. 10 ft snow walls either side of the road - this was mid June. And roads ploughed up, regraded and rolled flattish again with little or no warning. Went flying - literally - on one rut. Poor fellow behind wasn't so lucky, ended up with the clutch lever piercing his stomach. Extended his trip a bit, but there was a silver lining. One thing led to her mother. LOL

But the people were fantastic.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
motomike1400 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motomike1400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 21:28
Well, the CV19 has buggered up this year's trip. Even if the lockdown were to be relaxed in Holland, Germany, Denmark, and Norway, I foresee many problems travelling as a group through all those countries. And what businesses might be there to serve our needs?

So, the group have decided it's best to postpone the trip to 2021. So far, everyone has left the money in the pot and committed to next year.
I suppose the bonus is that there is the chance, and heaps of notice, to fill the few places that were left.
I may well be doing the trip on a Guzzi rather than the Honda AT. There was already a Norge going. Be nice to have another Guzzi along.
Anyone? A good shakedown run before heading to Mandello for a certain birthday bash!
Though these may change🤔

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 21:51
When I went , I got the ship from Tilbury to Helsinki 3 and half days.
Then due north all the way to Inari and nordkapp.
Returned down the E6 arctic highway to Bergen. 
Went round the docks shouting at the ships to see if they had room for the mz and me back to uk.
Found one for 12 quid.
It was only during day 2 that I discovered the ship was pointing towards Hamburg.
6 days on the b----y thing , and saw my lunch a few times across the north see.
Ha , fun times , eh 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic