guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Spine Frame
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sporti : Remove Paint from Engine Block

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guztave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sporti : Remove Paint from Engine Block
    Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 12:27
The previous owner painted the engine block with silver paint that over the past couple of years is starting to come off in places and is starting to make the bike look shabby.

I am not sure what my options are, I assume that taking the engine out and getting it vapour blasting would be quite involved and expensive?

As an alternative winter project, could I remove the paint with a Dremel tool? If yes, what type of brush and rubbing paste would be best for the job? Or is this not a good thing to do?

As always, all help and suggestions most gratefully received.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 13:29
Paint stripper and a brush? Very time consuming, but possible.

The best result by far is bead blasting, but that means stripping the engine to get the bare castings.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Guztave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guztave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 15:09
Would paint stripper be OK on any rubber parts and seals?

What do you think is the likely cost to have the engine blasted? Anybody you can recommend?

Thank you
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 17:15
I rode my sport Corsa through last winter and most of the engine paint flaked off lol . Paint stripper is hard work , I tried lots of different paint strippers on me 650 and just gave up . Hopefully someone as an answer and I think it will be take the engine out . Look forward to the answersThumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 17:28
Ray, exsmokingbiker on this forum will clean your casings.  Does an excellent job.

Can't give a price guide though, sorry.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Guztave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guztave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 17:35
Thanks Johnno and Brian,

Will contact Ray.

Glawster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glawster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 18:41
If it were mine the first thing I'd try is to find someone with a proper industrial steam cleaner (not a feeble Karcher diy job).  See how much of the paint can be removed this way, then go over it with Nitromors and go back and steam clean again.
If that fails you'd really need to take the engine out and get it soda blasted.  I've no experience of this.  
To do a proper job means vapour blasting, but that means completely stripping the engine and getting the component parts blasted.
This is the kind of finish that Ray will give you if you go down this route.

DSC_2236 by Derek Wardell, on Flickr
1970 Guzzi V7 Ambassador
1955 Guzzi Falcone Sport
2021 BMW R1250R
1998 Cagiva Gran Canyon
nab301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nab301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 22:43
Some diy methods of soda blasting here but I guess you'd have to confirm by trial and error if paint removal is possible .

http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/soda-blaster.html

Nigel
Keep smiling , it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
'19 CB125F,

'18 DL250 SUZUKI V STROM,'99 Bmw R1100S, '03Bullet 65 500, '93 MZ301 Saxon fun (offroad)
Guztave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guztave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 07:10
Thanks for this information, I will look in to this. Is Nitromors safe on rubber and plastic parts?
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 08:25
Originally posted by Guztave Guztave wrote:

Thanks for this information, I will look in to this. Is Nitromors safe on rubber and plastic parts?

If you think about what the product is formulated to do (with paint), you'd have to consider that avoiding anything other than painted metal might be a good plan, right?

As with other products of a similar nature Nitromors isn't quite the beast it used to be, having been 'de-clawed' a few years ago by legislation which required the removal of some of the chemicals which "caused cancer" and other forms of nasty death. 

It's still something to be respectful of and careful with, though.

drøn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote drøn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 09:08
I'll just be following this topic as my old man just bought a V65 which the PO had painted the engine black. It was painted in situ with minimal masking. Carbs, manifolds, petcocks, even the spark plug boots were sprayed over!

As for nitromors, I've heard it will work better if warmed gently and packed in cling film when left to work.
Ian T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 10:23
Don't know if this helps but I had a mare of a time trying to strip the paint off a BMW K75s tank it was on like enamel. I tried everything but eventually the only thing that shifted it was Screwfix No Nonsense paint stripper and as said above I wrapped the thing in cling film to let it cook away. Was very effective and also much cheaper than other strippers. 

Never found Nitromours any good anymore after the health police got to it. 

Try the above it worked for me where nothing else did, the cling film was needed though. 

Cheers

Ian
Guztave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guztave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 10:25
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the suggestion, will this product damage any rubbers parts, washers, hoses etc if the engine remains in situ?

Cheers
Ian T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ian T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 10:37
Hard to say, I suppose you could mask off the rubber bits and hoses, or pull them off and plug the holes. 

I've never been a fan of "in-situ" cleaning or painting for that matter. I always strip the bike I'm doing right down, it may seem a pain to start with but the end product will be much better and it gives you access to bits you may have missed, or will miss if it is still together. 

Much more satisfying I think when the job is finally over. 

Good luck

Ian
drøn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drøn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 11:00
I'd say it's hardly the worst idea to remove tank, carbs and inlets anyway before you attempt to strip the paint.
They are not the hardest parts to remove/refit and it'll e much easier to get to the harder to reach spots too.
Maybe even air filter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic