guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > General Electrical issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone ever rebuilt a wiring harness?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 17:02
For anyone used to doing wiring or working with electrics, it should be a simple if tedious task.

I suspect for those from a different background a few pitfalls may materialise.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 20:43
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

You have a 20 Amp plus output from the alternator, that should have heavier wire.

And I bought thicker wire, and it wouldn't fit the connectors or the (original reused) housings that the connectors have to fit in! Shocked So I used the normal, it didn't melt, no fires and charging worked fine.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 20:49
On second thought, because I needed a lot of it (yellow) what I used I got it from the bike shop over the road, which wasn't the same as the VWP stuff I'd bought so may have been a higher rating.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 21:02
You're talking of the AC output, three wires taking the current, I was referring to the DC side of the rectifier.

But my advice would still be, for high current circuits use the largest (in sq mm) cable you can. Same applies to the headlight circuit.

Edited by Brian UK - 06 Nov 2019 at 21:10
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Richard Hyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 11:19
Battery charging led monitor

I have used this little thing on a number of machines to keep an eye on the battery .charging.
Utterly simple, cheap at 16 quid posted and effective.
Just make a little bracket and wire it into a switched live supply. 
Ianboydsnr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianboydsnr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 13:12
I have rewired several bikes, and also repaired the wiring on several,

With wiring the trick is to separate each circuit out, use the wiring diagram, to determine where the wire goes and what it connects too

Build each circuit one at a time, eventually you have no circuits left and a loom, for instance,

Indicators,

Fuse box to flasher unit, flasher unit to handlebar indicator switch centre pin, left indicator switch pin to front and rear left indicators and left warning light on dash, right pin to right front and rear indicators and warning light in the dash,

The old Guzzi type connectors are still available, but if they are in good condition but the terminals corroded, you can buy the terminals and re use the good connectors
MartinC View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 22:39
YouTube, search chiefpep and he does a step by step guide to a complete bike rewire and testing of components, worth a watch. 
Ian T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 05:20
Wow

Lots more great guidance, thanks everyone. 

I will certainly check out the video that sounds amazing. 

Looking forward to starting, got the main one stripped down and pegged out just getting up the courage to order the wire Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic