guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V50 gearing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 13:15
According to my paper V35/50 manual, the V35 primary is 13/24 (1.846) and the V50 is 14/23 (1.642).

The V50 III is the same as the V50, but the Monza is higher, 15/22 (1.466).

All the beval drives are the same, 8/31.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 16:19
Originally posted by drøn drøn wrote:

A printing error in the manual then. hah.

This smells like I need to source a correct primary and book a mechanic.

As usual it ain`t that simple as one of the gears is on the lay shaft while the other is on the input shaft and comes complete (big job to change)
First check is to make sure all gears are present as it may only be a selector problem.
What is the road speed when you are in the red as this will be the more accurate measure of your gearing (top speed is 170Kmh according to manual)
By the way changing the gearbox is the easiest option but it will have to be a V50/3 or Monza box as all the others have a smaller diameter input shaft with a corresponding difference to the clutch etc.

CHRIS

Edited by c13pep - 30 Oct 2019 at 16:37
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Richard Hyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 17:00
I know someone else has asked , but have / can you actually select all 5 GEARS???

are the linkages ok or are they fouling something or gear pedal catching on something??

from memory , there are 2 little drilled holes in one of the linkages , is that in the correct place giving you full travel???
drøn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drøn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 19:25
Thanks for the pointers everybody.
I will need to employ a much more academic approach if I want to know whats what.
I recall to be going 80 kmph at 4000 rpm, but I also recall going just off 140 kmph at 8000 rpm.
That could not be in the same gear so I need to look into eliminating some error sources like my memory etc.
Richard Hyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 20:20
I think someoñe has already mentioned , but have / can you actually select all 5 gears ?
Are the linkages ok and not fouling anything?
Is the gear lever not fouling?
From memory , one of the linkage arms has 2 options of holes drilled in it , are you getting full travel for all five gears ?

Just  re-reading your last post , 4000rpm for 50 mph is about what my v50 is doing in 5th
140kmph equals 87mph

Edited by Richard Hyatt - 30 Oct 2019 at 20:24
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 20:37
Originally posted by Richard Hyatt Richard Hyatt wrote:

Just  re-reading your last post , 4000rpm for 50 mph is about what my v50 is doing in 5th

I.e., 800 rpm per 10 mph (16.1 kph).

On which basis, 7,500 rpm = 94 mph (151 kph)

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 22:12
Originally posted by Mike H Mike H wrote:

I.e., 800 rpm per 10 mph (16.1 kph).

On which basis, 7,500 rpm = 94 mph (151 kph)

I would have thought that 94mph was the more likely `real world` figure for a V50/3 with 105mph only likely with a thump up the ar-e from a Boeing 747

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Chris A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 22:51
Beware trying to change the primary ratios as the shafts and bearings are different sizes between the v 50 2 and monzas...spline counts are also different so mixing and trying to match can be an absolute nightmare...I've been there ! it should be reasonably obvious if the ratios fitted are v 35 ...first gear will be virtually unusable......As an aside i have a standard NTX 650 enduro...the gears are v 50 as is the clutch as factory fitted. Goes really well and very unlike any other guzzi I have ridden...it took a while to get used to and it totally runs out of steam at 160 kph.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 18:32
Originally posted by drøn drøn wrote:

I recall to be going 80 kmph at 4000 rpm, but I also recall going just off 140 kmph at 8000 rpm.

Could be your speedometer is under reading at the higher end. My LM's one did, it also was km, being a second hand import. Not had it long, then speedo would not go past about 80 - 100 (kph).

I bought an English speedo for it with trip odo.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 14:44
As a follow up have you checked out the frame and engine numbers are V50/3 ie. they should begin with PF to confirm bike is not a `bitsa`
Gearbox numbers are not as straightforward and I have never been able to work them out

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

drøn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drøn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 13:48
Hi everybody
Thanks for all the insights and suggestions.
I have now determined that the bike has the correct gear ratios.

The front tyre is slightly larger than stock at 100/90 which gives a slightly lower speedo reading.

My want og higher gearing is now down to the two facts that I am very light weight and that I feel there is a lot more throttle to give and power to get when cruising at 7500 rpms.

Messing with primary drives and gear boxes are too extreme for me, on a chain drive bike I would change the sprocket so I am looking at tyre sizes now to increase gear inches.

The rear tyre is a 110/80 which gives a circumference very close to the original 100/90 (?). The general recommendation is that you can fit 110/90. This will increase speed by about 3.75% in a given gear. I am now thinking of umping that up to 120/90... This is one size over what was stock on the V65 that had the same rims so I don't think it would be entirely unsafe...
Chris A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 14:10
Good news that you have the right box....Playing with the rear tyre sizes would be the logical thing to do but wider ones could well compromise the handling...these bikes were designed for skinny tyre and handle really well with them...I had no choice but to put a 130 on my T3 once as nothing else was available and the one on it was shot....and it was awful!The drive boxes on the more recent small blocs do have different ratios too , different rim sizes too there is scope there too.

c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 15:45
A 120/90 rear tyre is what my Monza came fitted with, however they make it extremely difficult to remove the rear wheel without letting air out of the tyre or removing the bevel drive, as the cush drive fins make the gap very tight for oversize tyres.(ask me how I know    )
The big tyres definitely compromise handling as I experienced on my first V50/3, very ponderous especially on white lines.
Cruising at 7500rpm would mean that the engine is at its maximum output, according to the factory specs, so not much point in going higher and I doubt there is much throttle left if any at all.

CHRIS

Edited by c13pep - 08 Nov 2019 at 15:53

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic