guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V50 gearing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drøn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V50 gearing
    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 21:02
How do I change the gearing on my V50 III?
it revs into the red long before it run out of power.
Chris A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 22:26
Primary drive...maybe try a 650 box or perhaps you have the wrong one anyway.
drøn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drøn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 11:36
Thank you Chris.
I'm not experienced with the more involved works on motorbikes so I was kind of hoping I could get away with changing the final drive to a different spline count.

Is there a way to calculate/estimate what primary drive is in there?

Edited by drøn - 30 Oct 2019 at 11:42
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 11:52
Most of the V50 gearbox's are the same ratios internally and as mentioned it's only the primary drives that are different. Hence its a gearbox out job for any changes as the bevel box spline would a none starter.
The Monza box would be the easiest alternative

CHRIS   
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 11:54
Surely the first questions should be: what is it rev'ing to? Followed by: is this acceptable within the parameters of the owner's manual?

It may simply be that the rev counter fitted is not correct for the bike, or that - if manufacturer fitted - it did not accurately show the 'red limit' for that specific model.

I had an early 600 Ducati Pantah - it came, from factory, with a rev counter that red-lined "too early". The owner's manual very clearly stated that it could be rev'd to higher limits than shown on the fitted rev counter. (Rev counter, I think, was as fitted to 500 models, and subsequently changed during the 600 production run).
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 12:34
Originally posted by Barry Barry wrote:

Surely the first questions should be: what is it rev'ing to? Followed by: is this acceptable within the parameters of the owner's manual

The simple answer to revs question is that maximum power is at 7500rpm as quoted in the workshop manual

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

drøn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drøn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 12:34
I just compared the gearing values here: http://www.thisoldtractor.com/mg_manuals/owners_manual_v50-iii_de.pdf with my observations from this summers trip.

It seems like i'm missing the 5. gear. Or I have the gearbox or Primary drive from a V35. Sigh
drøn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drøn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 12:40
Now looking at this: http://www.thisoldtractor.com/mg_manuals/owners_manual_v35-ii_de.pdf
Apparently the primary drive, each individual gear ratio as well as the final drive are exactly the same between the V50 and V35.

How come the overall ratios between engine and wheel differs between the two?
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 12:41
Did you not realise there should be five gears surely not
The difference is in the primary drive ratios (the only 2 helical gears in the box)

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 12:45
Check out the different primary drive ratios in the manual

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

drøn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drøn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 12:47
I must admit that I've never counted my gear changes. But I always tried shifting for a gear more and when that didn't happen assumed I was in fifth...

The manuals say: (Z = 13/24) 1 : 1,846. for both...
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 12:49
The primary drive ratio for a V50/3 is 14/23

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

drøn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drøn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 12:50
I can't open that link.
I have mine from thisoldtractor site as linked in my earlier posts.
drøn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drøn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 12:53
A printing error in the manual then. hah.

This smells like I need to source a correct primary and book a mechanic.
drøn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drøn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 13:04
Or it's time to put on knobbled tyres and a motocross handlebar and enjoy the great traction off road...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic