guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running in a V7 Stone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightpack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running in a V7 Stone
    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 17:23
I've only just signed up on the forum and have already hit a brick wall (no, not on my bike !).   I've recently purchased a V7 Stone night-pack and have entered the forum to research some guidance on running the 'bike in (the handbook states nothing more than don't exceed 4500 rpm for the first 900 miles).  As members will know, the Stone doesn't have a rev-counter.

In entering a search on this forum I keep getting my search refused because 'one or more of my search words are less than 3 characters long'. Do I have to add dashes or similar to my 'bike model to get it past the dreaded 3 character gate-keeper ?   

As I'm here I'll ask for the info I need guidance on in case it's arisen before ( I recall, prior to getting my V7, that somewhere or other I've seen on the internet at least one post on the subject, but can't recall if it was in this forum).  ...... I know how to treat a 'bike engine sympathetically but has anyone any ideas on road-speeds in gears to ensure I respect the 4500 rpm limit ?  I've even tried doing internet searches on gearbox ratios and failed to get any answers (not that I'd know what to do with the figures if I did get them as arithmatic isn't my strong point. Do another Google search I guess !).

I'm currently just not letting the engine labour at all (a factor I think is often overlooked) and not hanging onto a gear too long when accelerating. In the past one of the 'bikes I've owned was a 600 Yamaha Fazer, which isn't a good grounding for riding a 'bike which max's out at half the Fazer's maxumum !    I'd rather be a bit more scientific with my running in regime than just bimbling around trusting I'm being kind to my engine, but not really knowing.

Any polite replies will be most welcome.  Due to my newness on here I don't know yet if questions posted that are perceived as inane elicit much sarcasm in replies, so sorry if this topic has been done to death already.    Thank you if you've read this far, and double thanks if you have useful answers.
My Wife's heard this many times before, but this is the last time I change my 'bike !
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 17:37
I wouldn't be too anal about revs. Just don't thrash it, or push it hard at low revs.

There is no such thing as a daft question, but we do get daft answers from time to time.LOL
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Richard Hyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 17:47
Just let the engine feel happy in whichever gear you're in.
Pull away , change up and up and let it run freely and happily.
Inclines , just change down until it feels happily spinning around, probably not more than 60mph for a few hundred miles , then bring it up a bit more then more until around 1000 miles it's running freely and pulling and working for you .
Ben. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 17:55
Welcome Nightpack,  I have an older Stone with a rev counter, and I think I've only once been in the vicinity of 4,500 rpm,  and though the motor will spin happily way past that, I've never needed more than 3,000 rpm for my sedate riding.
So I'm thinking you're unlikely to over rev it, and a few thousand miles hence you'll know instinctively when to change gear.
Sorry to be vague, but without a tacho it really is back to the "seat of the pants" school of motorcycling.
Others might easily be more helpful, I think I can guarantee no sarcasm.
Hope you enjoy the forum.

red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 20:10
Originally posted by Richard Hyatt Richard Hyatt wrote:

Just let the engine feel happy in whichever gear you're in.
Pull away , change up and up and let it run freely and happily.
Inclines , just change down until it feels happily spinning around, probably not more than 60mph for a few hundred miles , then bring it up a bit more then more until around 1000 miles it's running freely and pulling and working for you .

+1
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 20:16
+2
Andyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 20:32
Enjoy the bike!
One of the main components you need to run in are the piston rings and they bed in best with short bursts of higher engine speed.  Being too gentle can make the bores glaze and give higher oil consumption.
My V7 improved well past 1000 miles, more like to 5000 miles, with sweeter gear changes and engine.  It is worth keeping an eye on the exhaust nuts at the cylinder head, horns, front mudguard bolts, rear suspension bolts....they all initially loosened on mine but have stayed tight ever since.
The V7s have a rev limiter at around 7000rpm which is quite abrupt, and without a rev counter you may find you hit it when overtaking once the engine is run in.....which can spoil the overtaking experience!  These engines like to rev, not slog, and I will run mine regularly to 6500rpm once warm
AndyB
Nightpack View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightpack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 19:41
Thank-you gentlemen for your replies and also for the tip from Andyb re keeping an eye on bolts/nuts working loose. (Having posted my original missive I re-read it and noted that I said I'm not good at arithmAtic. Seems I can't spell either !!!).   Embarrassed
My Wife's heard this many times before, but this is the last time I change my 'bike !
MartinC View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 08:11
Neever can eye, just keep it sweet and now and again give it a squirt, I have the V85TT and the dash rev lights are a F1 gimmick, keep lowering the limit to get them on, childish I know but hey ho. 
Crotters View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crotters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 12:30
Hi Nightpack. I also have a V7 Stone. Your bike has two rev settings, low and high. Your bike will have most likely been supplied with the low setting set to 4,500 rpm and the high setting to 6,000 rpm. When you hit 4,500 revs a warning light will flash on your speedo. When you hit 6,000 revs the warning light will be a solid light. It is easy to amend the low and high rev limits. Your instruction manual has the details on how to do this. 

Nightpack View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightpack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 17:55
Thank-you Crotters for your input. Sorry I haven't responded earlier (domestic dilemas have been getting in the way !).    Unfortunately my shiny new handbook (in a 101 languages !) doesn't seem to have instructions on setting the rpm indicator, so I did what I should have done in the first place ..... contacted the service dept at the supplying dealership.

I've not got the full process as yet but we're on the way. The helpful guy fielding my call wasn't familiar with the process himself, but did his best to guide me in the right direction. He told me to look at a certain page in my handbook for the advice required, but my handbook was different to his copy, so that course of action failed. I had by now discovered that the process requires accessing via the 'Modes' feature, but on scrolling through (which I had done before by the way) there was no heading that led to what I needed. I was then advised that what I needed was via the 'Odometer' function (I never looked in there because I knew I wouldn't be able to adjust the readout, but it seems there are other features lurking behind rhis title). My helpful staffer volunteered that he would try and e-mail me the relevant pages from his handbook, but this idea seems to have failed, maybe because I said that I should be able to find what I needed now I knew where to start looking. That was a stupid assumption on my part (I.T. matters being a constant mystery and frustration to me).  It looks like I will have to make time to visit the dealership so they can actually show me the setting process. From my 'phone exchange it sounded as if you can choose the rpm limit you require, and you're not restricted to 4500 or 'unfettered' settings.
MartinC View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 18:11
You can do this on the V85tt but sounds a little easier than your system, all via the TFT screen

David Owen View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Owen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 16:41
While out on my V7 III Special this afternoon...  4500 RPM in 2nd gear, 60 km/h; 3rd gear, 80km/h; 4th gear, 100 km/h.  Convert to MPH as necessary.
Nightpack View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightpack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 16:02
David, Very helpful info.  Thank you.  The road speeds in the gears are quicker than I imagined.  Your figures will be a great help, pending me being able to get to the dealership to solve the programming mystery. Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic