guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oh my god !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 14:10
That is indeed what I meant. 

We've all got so used to the reliability of modern digital systems that we take them rather for granted. It's as well to rule everything in before ruling anything out. 

Jools

V1000G5
1972 T150V
1961 Royal Enfield Constellation
1971 Suzuki ACC50
erm... 1963 Philips Panda
(and other assorted detritus)
sardineone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sardineone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 21:08
I've had 2 of my original coils go bad over the years.  They both tested as an open circuit when checked with a VOM at high resistance range from the plug cap to a good ground like the motor.  The coils would still work intermittently but were definitely bad.
George

One owner 86' Lemans 1000 (member of the family) / BMW R1200ST (current work horse)

You are what you have ridden!
TheWrongTrousers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 21:30
yep Sardine man, might be the coils, (heavy sigh). I have certainly found that there is always something the matter with this bike. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but there is always something the matter. Something expensive breaking, something coming loose and falling off, something dripping, something misfiring, something exploding, something [             ] (insert present participle verb here). 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sardineone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 21:40
Sorry for the troubles, I've experienced many on my newer Lemans IV too.  Luckily I'm my own mechanic and have kept my beauty on the road now for 33 years.  A Lemans I is even more of a treat in vintage circles as they are becoming quite collectable.  Here's one from the Barber Museum just outside of Birmingham, Alabama in the USA.  I was just there last weekend for their annual Vintage Festival.  A bucket list quality event BTW.

George

One owner 86' Lemans 1000 (member of the family) / BMW R1200ST (current work horse)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sardineone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 21:43
BTW many of the repairs I've done over the years I was able to include upgraded newer parts.  Hopefully making mine a bit more reliable.
George

Jools View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 11:53
Most old bikes 'evolve' as their owners find newer parts that improve performance and reliability - it's one of the joys of long-term ownership. 

A good deal of it is of course cosmetic, which does nothing for reliability or performance except where it's an aid to the ergonomics of riding, making for a more comfortable, and hence pleasurable, machine to ride.

My old Trident has been with me for more than 35 years, and it has taxed my patience on many an occasion. But all such frustrations disappear once I take it out on the road and re-discover for the nth time the reason why I've always loved it.

Jools

V1000G5
1972 T150V
1971 Suzuki ACC50

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 17:52
Originally posted by Jools Jools wrote:

My old Trident has been with me for more than 35 years, and it has taxed my patience on many an occasion. But all such frustrations disappear once I take it out on the road and re-discover for the nth time the reason why I've always loved it.

Jools, you speak the truth. I love a triple too, I have had my Laverda 27 years which is nearly as long. They become a part of you after that length of time. I bought it when I was a young man of 30 years old.  Its like we have been through so much of life together. You will know what I mean. When I am on it and i open it right up coming out of a roundabout, the road opens up and all that top end power comes in with a snarling rush and everything on either side starts to blur, like on star trek, the years roll back and its just like it always was. Nice thought for a rainy day.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 19:34
Well it finally stopped raining so I took it out for an hour yesterday and two hours today. on both occasions I took no chances and packed a rucksack full of tools. No issues at all and it seems very happy indeed. So, perhaps cleaning out the carbs worked. Perhaps the entire incident was a dream. Who knows. 

Edited by TheWrongTrousers - 20 Oct 2019 at 20:14
Jools View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 22:13
Perhaps it's taken fright after your extolling the virtues of the Laverda and thought it better start behaving itself lest it should be summarily dismissed!

More likely perhaps is that the cleaning procedure has dislodged some residue in one of the passageways. Let's hope it's done the trick permanently.

One of my friends had a Laverda triple some 30 years ago. The cylinder head failed and he couldn't afford to get it repaired, so he ended up breaking it for spares. He found out later that it was reputed to have been the Slater brother's development bike, and was in effect the very first Jota!
Jools

V1000G5
1972 T150V
1971 Suzuki ACC50
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 08:25
Ouch
Death by apathy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Death by apathy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 08:47
[QUOTE=Jools]

One of my friends had a Laverda triple some 30 years ago. The cylinder head failed and he couldn't afford to get it repaired, so he ended up breaking it for spares. He found out later that it was reputed to have been the Slater brother's development bike, and was in effect the very first Jota!
[/QUOTE

I wonder how much it would cheer him up to be reminded of that occasionally]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 15:11
Funny you should mention the head failure Jools. I no longer have any clearance on two out of three of my exhaust valves and it has slowly dawned on me that I have big problems within. Engine now has to come out and then the fun really begins. Once i have done that I guess I might as well take it all to bits and have the frame checked (they always crack around the headstock I am reliably informed) and re-coated. So that is my winter project I guess.  Hey ho. 

That's the good thing about Guzzi's; valve clearances are very accessible and are a very simple matter. 
Jools View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 15:48
Disappearing clearances on the valves happened on my Trident too, I guess the cause being too enthusiastic use of the valve-lapping tool by a PO. Having separate rocker boxes, I managed a temporary fix by using doubled-up base gaskets. It doesn't help when there are different length valve stems & adjusters available too!

The old cylinder head was pretty banjaxed anyway and was eventually replaced with a good low-mileage example from a Rocket 3. No more trouble since, thankfully. Mind you, I haven't actually ridden it for 5 years! It's still waiting replacement of the primary drive cush rubbers, and in the meantime the G5 has done such excellent service that I've not been in any particular hurry to resurrect the old Trumpet!

Maybe the valve seats could be replaced on the Laverda? 
Jools

V1000G5
1972 T150V
1971 Suzuki ACC50
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 16:06
Where the Laverda is concerned, would it not be possible to replace the shims of the two exhaust valves with thinner ones then see how things go after that? If the newly set clearances close up in short order then valve seat recession or perhaps valves going "Tulip shaped" is the problem.
Just a thought.

Edited by Dave P. - 21 Oct 2019 at 16:19
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 18:01
I am well beyond the limit of the standard shims Dave. There are no standard thinner ones that you can buy. There are dodges, such as fitting specially raised camshaft bearing holders to restore some clearance, and other folks grind down the shims or buy custom made special thin shims, but its just kicking the can down the road, and who wants to drop a valve at high speed. Not me. You should have seen the dished buckets that I took out the other day. It's partly down to me neglecting to check the valve clearances when i ought to have done, because (a) the bike goes so well so all must be all fine and dandy in there, and (b) its such a bother doing the shims on a DOHC engine. Well, I learned my lesson now. But it's nothing that can't be fixed and it will be all the better for a strip down. i will probably find something really alarming as I delve deeper and thank god that i took it apart when I did - I am sure that has happened to all of us at some time or other. At least I have my lovely Guzzi to ride so i am not so badly off !

Edited by TheWrongTrousers - 21 Oct 2019 at 18:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic