guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Oil
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

going off piste

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Death by apathy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: going off piste
    Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 08:16
I assume that its driven by availability but it appears that no one follows the original recommendationsfor oil specs, which puzzles me. 
It clearly states in my handbook that my LM2 wants 10w50 in the engine and SAE90 in the gearbox and bevel drive.  Yet everyone and their dog seems to be sticking 20w50 and 80/90 in respectively.
Now I'm willing to be slapped down at this point, but I'm currently stuffing Motul 5100 10w50 in my engine (thank you Opie)
I personally prefer the advantage of the tiny bit of extra cold start protection but I seem to be out on my own here. Am I doing my engine a disservice
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 08:33
I'm sure for every owner you find using 20w50 we could find just as many using something else.

I always used 10w40 myself in the SPIII.

No it won't make a blind bit of difference to your engine, though it might to your pocket if the 10w50 is more expensive.

You also have to remember that the Guzzi manual was written a long time ago and oil specs have changed and improved since then.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Death by apathy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Death by apathy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 09:59
Ok ta
I figured in the years since the original manual was scratched onto a wax tablet that advances had been made in the oil industry. 
I also figured that in all the years since my engine gasped its first breath, that bitter experience may have taught us to ignore particular recommendations on that wax tablet as they lead to certain ruin.
As I said in my 'Hi all' introduction post,  apologies for stupid questions and faux pas but I ask anway and hope to leech off the wealth of experience and knowledge of those on here patient enough to put up with me
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:35
No such thing as a stupid question.

Modern sythetic oils have been known to creep past oil seals more than the older mineral based oils.
Brian.

Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:52
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Modern sythetic oils have been known to creep past oil seals more than the older mineral based oils.

That's certainly my experience with an 850T3 (of which I am the current custodian) which is, I'd guess, of similar vintage to your LM2. I've tried various oils (within the recommended W range), and it's abundantly clear that - on this particular machine - the less synthetic the oil, the more it stays inside the metal bits. As I have got a 'classic oils' dealer practically on my doorstep, I've decided to go with the flow (see what I did there?).

Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:16
Don't you just love the flow of a good oil thread Wink
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:50
It helps to make the world go round.....
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
dan_s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 19:35
I read, (somewhere, a while ago) that engine oils with grade above SG don't lube enough to prevent flat tappet engines wear so to prevent the evil eye I add a ZDDP additive.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 20:33
And I read the oil companies claiming that they had other additives which made up for the ZDDP.

Brian.

red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 20:41
I'm fitting BT45's.
Ben. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 21:21
The Leifheit 72582 8379 has a dreadful squeak, I use Duckhams straight 80 to restore domestic bliss. 
Death by apathy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Death by apathy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 22:55
hmmmm so your ironing board has a squeek which is subdued by pouring Duckhams on it !!!!
Have you thought of changing the foot rubbers for a softer compound
Ben. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 23:12
Interesting idea Dba, but i've since found the real source of the squeek.
It's my elbow.
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 23:37
I was going to suggest you put some of your Figs under the ironing board feet but as it's your elbow you could try there.
Just the one though.
Ben. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 23:48
True.
You have to be careful with figs.
I have a strawberry tree with fruit I'm told make you go a bit squiffy.
I haven't tried it yet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic