guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear Wheel Offset

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote INSTG8R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Wheel Offset
    Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 03:57
I have a 99 California EV and want to offset the rear rim 10mm to the right (brake disk) side. Has anyone else attempted this mod? Standard, the rear tyre has 5mm clearance on the drive shaft but 35mm clearance on the swing arm brake side. I want to push the rim over 10mm (offset) so I can fit a 20mm wider tyre on the rear. Re-lacing the original spokes can only get me 3mm as the spokes rest against the hub drive. Before I set to machining the hub I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions how to gain the 10mm required. Yes I know the tracking from front to back will be out. Don't care! I am building a cafĂ© racer and I want the look of the wider tyre. Thanks in advance. 
INSTG8R
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 07:41
Most people say that fitting a wider tyre on a Tonti frame screws up the handling. For that reason, I haven't heard of anyone trying what you want to do.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:02
Nearly the same but I have had two scooters fail there MOT because of wheel alignment, fortunately that particular tester has closed. When I questioned the decision I was told that he considered it to be a `major` safety issue, my current tester only gives a cursory glance from the rear and does not put the bikes on the lift

CHRIS   
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:04
Wider tyre, tracking out, should handle er, interestingly.
Ride Safe !!
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:47
You probably know this, in which case I apologise for stating the obvious, but a wider (rear) tyre for for Guzzis is generally accomodated by putting a 'scallop' into the tube which protects the drive shaft from gearbox to final drive. There's generally clearance on t'other side. Also, I believe (but could be mistaken in that belief) that some Toni swinging arms have more 'clearance' than others.

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:47
In theory the MoT still includes wheel alignment. However, I was told by one tester that there were so many bikes with single sided swinging arms failing - and of course couldn't be corrected - that they'd been advised not to do it. Certainly the place I use now never checks.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
INSTG8R View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote INSTG8R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 11:51
Thanks to all who commented.
I am aware of the handling issues that may ensue however it is not being built for the track. Lucky for us in Western Australia we do not have to worry about annual MOT inspections. Bike is already registered so I doubt the local constabulary will know the difference.
 To Barry, Yes the Drive shaft already has a scallop in it. not sure I can scallop it any more before things rub on the inside. When measuring the tyre clearance I was measuring from the side wall to the deepest part of the scallop. Over all width is not the issue, just the wheel sits more to the drive shaft side than the Brake swing arm support. Just need 10mm to achieve desired result. 
INSTG8R
BondEquipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BondEquipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 11:53
Well it has been done - I've got one in my garage!

It was built by Bruce Rawsthorne (well known Guzzi builder and tuner) and to enable an 1100 Sport rear wheel to fit (to match the 3 spoke Ducati front in USD forks) the frame has been 'sprung' and 20mm width added to the swingarm. This means the wheels are 10mm out of alignment which apparently has never been a problem.  Bike has been on the road and on track.

Personally no idea how it handles as it's still stripped but one day I might find out! 
Stephen
Black & Gold LM2
+ Other Bikes & Projects!
Ben. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ben. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 13:06
I think we all benefit from people brave enough to push the envelope, so best of luck with the project.
One thing that does puzzle me, is that no cafe racer that I've come across has a rear tyre wider than 3.50 or 4.00 at the most. Were things different in Oz?
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 15:37
It'll be fine so long as you always use a clockwise route. LOL
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
nab301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nab301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 19:57
From memory the workshop manual for my BMW has  a tolerance for rear wheel offset ( as apposed to rear wheel misalignment)  of up to 10mm . Could be ABS/ non abs wheel versions using spacers , I'll have to read up on it again...
Nigel
Keep smiling , it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
'19 CB125F,

'18 DL250 SUZUKI V STROM,'99 Bmw R1100S, '03Bullet 65 500, '93 MZ301 Saxon fun (offroad)
INSTG8R View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote INSTG8R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 03:16
I'm not a purist, just trying to get the right look for my custom build. The tank is off a Suzuki GSX1400 and make the bike look lime a British Bulldog. With theOriginal 7 1/2 inch headlight and tank it is all heads and shoulders so the rear looks a little skinny. With the custom fibre glass tail it realy needs a wider tyre.  
INSTG8R
INSTG8R View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote INSTG8R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 03:20
Thanks for the feed back. Would love to see the finished product.
INSTG8R
Steview153 View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steview153 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 17:53
Thanks for the information guys . The idiot who stripped the wheel told me it was -27 from rim edge to the machined part of the hub . I just want to be sure
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic