guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NUMB BUM !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 20:06
Originally posted by Dave P. Dave P. wrote:

The only bike I've owned with a faultless seat was the Brough SS80 with its massive saddle with internal springs then the whole thing mounted to the frame on springs. Pure luxury.

By spooky coincidence, it just so happens that I am in the process of fitting one suchlike to the Ural ... here's a trial fitting caught on camera .....

It's one of many "Lycette" reproduction solo seats / saddles you can get on eBay. This is about 14.3 inches wide, the "small" ones (typically "for BSA Bantam etc.") are usually about 12, other "large" are 16 inches wide. But I thought that much would look silly on the Ural.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 20:13
Underneath view showing springs ...

v7john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v7john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 21:27
That looks like a copy of the seat on my old BSA which I have to say is very comfy and that's with the very limited travel plunger suspension.

I want a single sprung saddle for my V7 loop but the original type are very pricey. Over the winter I'll see if the one from the BSA looks silly or not. If it's ok I'll be getting a modern copy for that bike.
1972 V7Sport "The Racing Rhino".
1972 V7 700cc "The Fire Bike".
1954? Superalce
1954 BSA M33 (to be sold)

Read my blog https://racingrhino.wordpress.com/
jmee54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmee54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 21:52
That looks really good! My ebay purchase sits on springs and has a really nice shape - a similar look, really.

Graham View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 22:08
Hitchcocks do one for the Royal Enfield They do a few different  ones. 
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 23:50
That looks great Mike. I'll be very interested to know how you get on with it.It looks just like the Brough seat except that that one was 18" wide.As a matter of interest, why two sets of springs? Did one set not sit straight?
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 23:26
Different lengths. I got a box full of the b'stards! LOL All different lengths and styles. This is attempt #2, last year I tried a European single seat (made for Ural) very swish looking (actually too good TBH, I always thought it looked odd, the above saddle is much more the right kind of style) but was too hard, being not much foam over a plastic base. The base plate and front hinge support you see above are from that kit (so not a complete waste of money)

Edited by Mike H - 15 Aug 2019 at 23:30
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic