guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tire valves

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire valves
    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 14:31
Ok. Front tire has a small leak from what looks like a non standard valve (according to fowlers excellent parts fiches). Fowlers don't have any. I'm loathe to go through the trouble of buying shoite from ebay and gutsibits hint got none neither  ...bit of norfolk there!Pig

Anyone got a source for them or a supply of proper ones? Maybe even fleabay and they've been ok!   Ta again
Due to italian electrickery I am saying nowt. Despite nearly giving the Vstrom away the honda has gone...
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 15:09
Sure it's the valve?

Going off topic but my Ural has slow leaks front and rear, it's only 2.5 years old, when it was still nearly new both the inner tubes were punctured  due to damage caused by using two overlapping rim strips in each wheel. Rim strips replaced with single wider and tubes had to be replaced. I carry a foot pump around everywhere, but then of course I can

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
cugsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 15:45
Soapy water on the locknut points to it...the nut. Maybe a better rubber valve is needed

Due to italian electrickery I am saying nowt. Despite nearly giving the Vstrom away the honda has gone...
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 22:54
Fairy nuff! Big smile

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 08:28
Assuming this is tubeless, what is non standard about it?
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
cugsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 19:54
Brian, all I can surmise is that after 20 years the valve on the front tire has gone from the original right angle one (as per the Fowlers website) to a straight up and lock nut one. I couldn't tell the difference to be honest. I rang Gutsibits for valves and they don't have them - they can order them from Giovanni at the Guzzi factory but be prepared to wait.....a long time. And they're pricey.
  I visited my local tire garage and they have done bike valves in the past but only more modern ones - less than the old clunker in my garage. But, there are some good ole boys in Thetford who fitted the tires last year and will have a look and sort it all out tomorrow when I take the wheel to them. If it can't be done properly then I'll have to start looking for a better valve.  They tell me the rubber push in ones they fit to cars have been successful before.   We shall see
theone&onlymin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theone&onlymin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 22:23
Peter sells everything tyre related...

He's in Enfield North London for postage free pickup.

Cheers
Min
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 08:45
So are you trying to get a replacement vertical one or the original right angle type?
Brian.

cugsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 09:50
Whatever works for now
cugsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 18:52
Funny world. The lads I took the wheel to couldn't fit a new valve - too big. The hole on the cali wheel is 8mm. BUT... trip to a real old skool bike shop in Bury st whatever (EKquire bikes) had right angle ones on the shelf for £4...fook me. I bought 2 in case the rear goes boobies up.  Hopefully sorted tomorrow
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 08:24
Just goes to show old school is best.

That was probably the price when he bought them 0 years ago.

Might be worth getting a new valve insert too as a precaution.

As an aside, had 2 new tyres fitted to the car last week. Both went soft overnight. Both valve inserts weren't sealing. Both replaced and all fine.
Brian.

Courier955 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Courier955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 20:39
Ah, that would be Eric at EKquire Motorcycles in Bury St Eds....proper motorbike shop that is....No £600 tasselled Harley jackets for sale in there
Old Skool Roadburners………

1979 Moto Guzzi Le Mans
1972 Honda CB350K
cugsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 21:10
And a big old gsx1100f outside. I kept me wallet hidden..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic