guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Out and About > Guzzisti go touring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

France fines: any horror stories?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omobono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: France fines: any horror stories?
    Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 16:34
Bad news coming from France. Lower speed limits, the bloody yellow vests to have on your vehicle (do I have to have it on the bike, too?) and the draconian speed fines with immediate payment... 

Or so they say, but... 

How is the enforcement? Is it that bad?

I remember riding with my Moto Guzzi 1000 SP 2 in France in 2003. I was in Burgundy. Three BMWs Boxers of the "Gerdarmerie" overtake me at least 20km/h faster than the speed limit (could have been 30 km/h). All three greet me after overtaking with a stretched arm in the usual Southern European manner. I remember thinking "This is the Country a want to be biking in!" 

Is this a thing of the past? 

O
BondEquipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BondEquipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 17:15
Nope.  Nothing's changed.

Went for our usual Le Mans trip this April.  3 of us went via Bordeaux (as you do, previous detours have included Belgium and Morocco) and had a week and a half of blatting about with no problems.

Don't take the piss in town or near speed cameras (signed well in advance and usually in sensible places like junctions with poor sight lines) and all is well.
Stephen
Black & Gold LM2
+ Other Bikes & Projects!
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 18:29
80kph max now on all single carriageways with very few exceptions.

A flashing headlight is always a warning.Wink

I probably drive (in the car) as many miles in France as the UK. Never had any problem.

If you do take the piss, instant licence removal if caught at 40kph or more over the posted limit. In France it is an offence not to have your licence with you when driving/riding.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 18:41
I'm in France now but in the car. Most people seem to stick to the 80 kph on single carriageways but I read in the local paper that the limit is going back up to 90.

No Q cars around, no cameras, everything just as normal. Interestingly, in the local area 2 cars have managed to leave the road at some speed in the last few days.......
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 18:58
I was under the impression that Tom Tom satnavs radar warning function does not work in France .Mine does, and very useful it is too

TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
scootinstevey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootinstevey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 19:01
I have a horror story, earlier this year on way to Le Mans.  I overtook 2 slow moving lorries ( was on a K1200 BMW) just rolled on in top gear the rolled off as I passed.  I was very conscious of town and village speed limits and on entering the next Village was waved down by a Gendarm.  He said I had been caught on Camera at 146km in an 80 limit?  He provided no proof and said it was a €750 Euro fine.  I politely disputed the speed but agreed to pay the fine.  As we were leaving to go to a cash machine,  the Gendarm was then in a confusing discussion with 2 of his colleagues.  He dismounted asked me to do the same and then explained that as I had been 50 kph over the limit my bike would also be impounded!!!
So a trip to the cash machine then back to his base and fine paid and my bike impounded.  I had been polite all the time this had been going on although I was angry inside.  I don’t dispute that I broke the speed limit overtaking the lorries, but I do dispute the speed and the fact that there was no proof shown.  I was also told that the prosecutor would look at the case within 72 Hours and I will be banned for 3 or 6 Months.   As I left the Gendarms  I held out my hand and shook their hands.  Hoping to give them  a guilt complex!!   My bike could only be collected by another rider or by van/ Trailer.   Major problem. I travelled alone so had no immediate help.   After phoning around I had managed to arrange collection of myself and the bike, then I received a phone message. The prosecutor had not done their job and I could collect my bike and licence and ride home.  Which I did.  Had the Guilt complex got them?  10 days later I had a letter informing me that I am banned for 6 months.   The whole thing was a farce ( and expensive). This has not put me off riding or driving in France which I do on a regular basis.  Another biker on the Chunnel had a similar experience and said he goes to Germany now instead and was very wary of his speed heading back to the tunnel as they like to catch people that are running late for ferries.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 22:40
They have always had speed traps on the Autoroutes leading towards Calais for that reason.
In France the Police/Gendarmerie have to take anoath never to lie. So if contesting what one says it's up to you to prove he lied, and you will find that almost impossible.

Sat Navs are not permitted to show details of speed cameras in France, but they are allowed to show "danger zones" where the cameras are likely to be.

Radar detectors are very illegal in France.
Brian.

Omobono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omobono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 09:28
Hi scoots, sorry to hear of your story. Yes it is lik ein Italy, the word of a public officer will normally prevail over yours in court. However, I can easily imagine in this case evidence of speeding would be required. 

As an aside, as far as I know in Countries like Italy and Germany it is not allowed to exceed the speed limit whilst overtaking, in the UK there is obviously more leniency as serious channels do that on youtube without consequences. 
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 10:05
Actually no different in the UK, speeding is speeding. Just a question of getting caught.

The French limit is low though, which means that legally overtaking a slower vehicle is usually impossible.

So what speed did you get to Scoot?
Brian.

OldJohnboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldJohnboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 11:37
Well, the above all looks like a good reason for the UK to leave the EU.
Tell you what, why don't we have a vote on it?
I mean, what could possibly go wrong? Confused
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 11:54
But apart from that, what oil should I use?

Brian.

dan_s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 14:34
A question is whether an officer of the leu is allowed to search your sat nav for speed traps locations.
As for a policeman bending the truth against you, a trip camera should sortthat.
Montrosemike View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montrosemike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 14:13
Speed camera tolerances in France are HALF what they are in Britain

https://mol.im/a/7331549
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 22:38
Not speed cameras, but all speed checks. You are allowed only a 5% tolerance only, not the generous 10% you get in the UK.
Brian.

SurreyFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SurreyFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 08:01
Hi; I did post this on another thread so apologies, but those on this one might be interested; 

We went to Gedinne last year in MX5, never saw a speed camera or trap. Got back, got fine in post;

'Vehicle checked at 105km/h, speed limit 90 km/h, speed used is 99 km/h'

Fine category was 'Exceeding the speed limit by less than 20 km/h - maximum speed more than 50 km/h'

That was near Roubaix on a minor road, 'D', I think. euros 45
Spada NT, Monza,750T, T100R Daytona (oops, that one's a Triumph !)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic